The Political Lounge

Australian Labor dethrones Scott Morrison

Hestia

1 hour ago, Patine said:

It seems some whose apparently from Colorado (who I won't tag) thinks it's disagreeable for someone from the Commonwealth not to want their country to waste a bunch of money and have to engage in writing a new Constitution in socio-politically unfavourable times for what is, de facto and pragmatically no gain or any increase in sovereignty at all. Though, it seems by some past comments on this, and the 270soft forum, including a poll by the Professor long ago on the issue where neither option accurate summarized the situation, that a lot of Americans actually view the British Monarchy on Commonwealth Realms as a huge financial burden and an actual lack of being sovereign, independent nations, and think such a waste of money and huge legal and Constitutional is somehow a great achievement beyond national pride, alone. I would likely say the glories of the American Revolution (which were a very different age and context) probably colours many American views on the issue.

Oh no I just fucking hate monarchies and monarchists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Me, or A Man from Colorado? I'm not bound by the Constitution I often criticize, either, and I'm under the same Monarchy by Viceregal Representation, in Canada.

I know. What I'm saying is that as someone in a similar position to you, I'd argue the Monarchy has greater influence on Britain, I'm an anti-Monarchist

• Based 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

There are really two issues my stance as a, "pragmatic Monarchist," hinge on. The monetary cost would be immense - and never regained, is one. And, the necessity of writing a new Constitution, because of the cessation of the former form of Government, in Canada's current socio-political climate is a ghastly prospect. Even though I have said, at many times, the U.S. should write a new Constitution, that is, I accede, an ideal, and would be just as monstrous in this day and age. I can't imagine the UK would differ much in terms of the two main concerns I have in regard to Canada, at this point in time.

Hold on let me go ask barbados if they had to write an entirely new constitution after they got rid of the queen.

I'm detecting some severe republican sentiments on this thread. Her Majesty is most displeased, expect the executioner to arrive for your heads shortly.

• Based 1

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Barbados didn't have a referendum, either - it's Parliament and Cabinet just decided. Canada would be required to have a two-thirds majority in Parliament, then the agreement of the majority of the legislatures of seven of the ten Provinces, the a popular referendum to make such an action by it's Constitutional Conventions, and almost certainly demand a new Constitution. Barbados and Canada do not approach these Constitutional issues, and are very situations. But thank-you for assuming all Commonwealth Realms are the same in this regard - both in the legal and contextual parts of it... 🤨

Sounds like Canadian problem not an Australian problem (which you are arguing against.)

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Australia obviously requires a referendum, too, at least, given they had such a referendum and it failed to pass in the '80's. And, what I was worried about was it's being brought back up in Australia would come back around to revive what is currently a dormant issue in Canada.

90s actually. And that was debatably because it was due to the way that the president would have been elected. And good, get rid of the queen.