The Political Lounge

Part 26: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 26: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Nicolas Appert
    • Nicolaus Copernicus
    • Nicolaus Otto
    • Niels Bohr
    • Nikola Tesla
    • Nikolay Basov
    • Noam Chomsky
    • Norman Borlaug
    • Oliver Cromwell
    • Omar Khayyam
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/2022 at 02:29 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Nicolas Appert "Father of Canning" for inventing canned food.
Nicolaus Copernicus Formulated the the sun, rather than the earth, was the center of the universe, which initiated the Scientific Revolution.
Nicolaus Otto Developed the combustion engine that ran on petroleum gas, leading to the modern combustion engine for automobiles.
Niels Bohr Made the foundational contributions to understanding atomic structure and quantum theory
Nikola Tesla Great inventor known primarily for his innovations in alternating current (AC)
Nikolay Basov Primary inventor of the laser
Noam Chomsky Revolutionized linguistic studies by showing that humans are born with an innate capacity for language--it is part of our cognitive biology.
Norman Borlaug The "Father of the Green Revolution" credited with saving over 1 billion people from starvation.
Oliver Cromwell Victor of the English Civil War; his protectorate gave Europe a clear example that a monarchy wasn’t necessary for a stable government. He inspired future revolutionaries desiring a Republic. Reformed the English military and navy.
Omar Khayyam Laid down the principles of algebra and created the theory of proportional geometry

This was a tough one.  A lot of these people did singular works, which I generally don't rate highly, but they're some pretty foundational singular works.  Imagine no canned food or internal combustion engines.  Still, some of my other principals could discount them, and some could argue my own logic should make me include others on this very list for foundational contributions, but in this case I went with tangibles.

• Like 1

Please add a vote for Omar Khayyim by me.

Edited by Timur