The Political Lounge

General topic: How politically involved are you?

How politically involved are you?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever considered running for political office?/Will you ever run?

2. 2. If you voted yes what office would you first run for?

• Mayor
    • School board
    • City Council
    • Board of Supervisors
    • State Rep/Sen
    • House of Rep.
    • Senate
    • Governor
    • President
    • N/A
  3. 3. Do you volunteer for political campaigns or organizations?

4. 4. If you volunteer what is your favorite activity of volunteering?

• Canvassing
    • Phone calls/Texts
    • Fundraising
    • Building voter turfs/strategizing
    • N/A
  5. 5. If you ran for city council/mayor what board would you specialize in/chair

• Public Safety
    • Sewage/Water (Public Works)
    • Parks and recreation
    • Events
    • Planning/Zoning/Housing
    • Finance
  6. 6. Should all school board and city council meetings be recorded and published online?

7. 7. What is the most important thing a city council/mayor should focus on?

• Public Safety
    • Bringing in more businesses
    • Having events to attract local tourists
    • Fixing roads and bridges/Flood prevention
    • Transparency
  8. 8. Would you prefer a city council that is elected all at large, Or elected by wards/districts?

Another general questionnaire since I like them!

@vcczar @Rezi @Patine @Hestia @10centjimmy @Ich_bin_Tyler  @MrPotatoTed etc.

Edited by themiddlepolitical

I was on student government at a public university, and even tried to jump the gap to Speaker of the Student Senate but that didn't go well.

Basically, when it comes to politics, anything and everything is on the table.  I have both an undergraduate and graduate degree in Political Science.  I was musing in the 1960 red chat the other day I probably could win my Rep District primary with about $100 of my own money because it's such a stupid district and I'll I'd have to do is put forth *any* effort what so ever, but the general I'd stand no chance because it's like a R+20 district.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I was on student government at a public university, and even tried to jump the gap to Speaker of the Student Senate but that didn't go well.

Basically, when it comes to politics, anything and everything is on the table.  I have both an undergraduate and graduate degree in Political Science.  I was musing in the 1960 red chat the other day I probably could win my Rep District primary with about $100 of my own money because it's such a stupid district and I'll I'd have to do is put forth *any* effort what so ever, but the general I'd stand no chance because it's like a R+20 district.

Should add, I was actually a committee chair on student government too, in charge of the public transit committee.

8 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I won Speaker of that Senate when my opponent withdrew after throat surgery. I chaired external events and learned how useless that city council was.

I used to fantasize about running for office.  Even working my way up to President.  Then I got married, had a kid, landed a career that pays really well, and my desire to have every dirty skeleton exposed evaporated over night.  I have WAY too much to lose now. Ha.  Let someone else handle the headaches.

• Agree 1

I would never seek out running for office, but would surely take the opportunity if it came up. I'd like to get involved with my local Democratic Party at some point in the future. Though granted, any run would not come in the next decade, since both my State Senate and Assembly districts are safe R.

So in terms of my own, IRL elections... I am 2-0 at the moment. 😛

Both were in High School. 

1 was being voted as a winner of a major debate between multiple classrooms for a US History project. The topic spanned mainly from Federalism vs Anti Federalism. And also Jacksonian vs Anti-Jacksonian. 

The final was senior year when I beat an incumbent student government secretary with a solid 80% if I remember correctly.

Before I ever run I would want to find a stable job first, money, a house, etc... but I would not rule out starting at local politics and working my way up. One of my friends from High School is running for State House down here already. 

33 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

I won Speaker of that Senate when my opponent withdrew after throat surgery. I chaired external events and learned how useless that city council was.

Yeah, Charleston City gov is pretty useless.  Also I have to rep, but I still maintain Panther Express is the only committee that ever actually did anything, no offense 😉

30 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, Charleston City gov is pretty useless.  Also I have to rep, but I still maintain Panther Express is the only committee that ever actually did anything, no offense 😉

That committee was gone by the time I got there. 

I would say internal affairs did stuff after I got the new bylaws passed, but most of the time we just sat there doing nothing.

4 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

That committee was gone by the time I got there. 

I would say internal affairs did stuff after I got the new bylaws passed, but most of the time we just sat there doing nothing.

LMAO did they just scrap it when I left.

In elementary school in Texas, I was picked to be George W. Bush in our school's 2000 mock election. Did the gladhanding, campaigning schtick and gave a speech/debated in front of the school. Dominated the vote (because Texas) and got to wear a bolo tie and cowboy hat the whole time. Wild ride.

In high school, rallied the band nerd vote and snuck into student council due to a bunch of popular kids splitting the votes. Main role was changing how elections were done and made things more efficient/transparent by making ballots out of scantrons instead of write-in slips of paper. 

Concerning question #8, in South Korea, they use a hybrid of both systems.

My brother ran for county commissioner and won by a landslide (and got more votes for re-election) - thanks in part to my campaign strategy and a lot of door to door.    I can tell a lot of funny stories but will share one:

He told them on the first day "the good ol boy system ends today" and they laughed.  A couple months in he had a proposal to widen a dangerous road and presented it.  The other commissioners all asked what they'd get in return for a vote - to which he replied nothing.  If you want something submit your own proposal.  So they all told him his bill would be dead on arrival.  "you have to scratch our back if you want us to scratch yours"    He told them that's fine but you might want to watch the 6:00 news tonight.   If your back still itches in the morning, give me a call.   That night the news reporters walked along this road with my brother as he pointed out where kids riding their bikes had been run over, residents getting their mail had been hit by cars and killed.  "and all I want to do is widen this stretch so we can avoid any further needless deaths, but the rest of the commissioners say no unless they get something for their district in return.   If you don't agree with them, I ask you call your commissioner and let's get something done"    Funny thing - every commissioner called him that night to pledge their support and how they were in favor all along.

• Based 3

I've done small political things. In 2008, I helped organize Barack Obama's visit to San Marcos TX in a very minor role. I did this so that I could be in the VIP section to shake his hand. I moved to NYC a couple of weeks later. I've gone around and encouraged people to vote, and I've been to some marches/protests, even though I don't tend to like those. 

I think I'd only run for Pres or US Sen, if I ran for any office, and only if 1) a lot of people wanted me to, and 2) no one was doing anything in these jobs and I felt compelled to run. Sort of how I'm making AMPU because no one else would make it, and I was tired of waiting. I think I'd be good at these jobs, but I think I'd be the kind of person that dislikes the work, and I'd term limit myself to a term.