The Political Lounge

Part 28: 100 Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 28: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Pier Giorgio Perotto
    • Plato
    • Pope Francis
    • Pope Gregory VII
    • Pope John Paul II
    • Pope Urban II
    • Ptolemy
    • Pyotr Tchaikovsky
    • Pythagoras
    • Qin Shi Huang
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/2022 at 02:10 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Pier Giorgio Perotto Led in the creation of the first personal computer
Plato Founder of Western Political philosophy and Western Spirituality, crucially impacting the theories of government, religion, and common thought; founded the first institute of higher learning in the Western World; teacher of Aristotle; inspiration for Neoplatonism.
Pope Francis First pope from the Western Hemisphere, and first non-European pope in over 1,000 years.
Pope Gregory VII Battled the Holy Roman Emperor to gain Papal Supremacy over policies regarding the Catholic church
Pope John Paul II First non-Italian Pope in over 450 years; played a leading role in ending Communism in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland
Pope Urban II Crucial in initiating the First Crusader by promising forgiveness and pardon to those who joined the Crusades to reclaim the Holy Land.
Ptolemy His theory that the Earth was the center of the universe prevailed for over a millennium
Pyotr Tchaikovsky Influential composer who was crucial to spreading Russian classical music internationally
Pythagoras Came up with the concept of the immortality of souls; invented the crucial pythagorean theorem of geometry; influenced philosophers, mathematicians, astronomers.
Qin Shi Huang Created the first centralized state and initiated Chinese civilization.Additionally, he standardized the written language of China, instituted the first large scale censorship in history, and initiated the Great Wall of China, which is the only human-made object observable from space.

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

Voted. I have no idea why Francis and John Paul II occupy half of the available Pope slots, when other big figures in the Papacy hashed out between me and Timur in an earlier of these threads (which included Gregory VII and Urban II, but probably eight to ten others) absolutely dwarf these two very recent Popes in global historical influence.

As stated, people will have an opportunity to suggest nominees when I'm done with my list. Would love to include your suggestions when I call for them. 

Just now, pilight said:

I don't understand why popes have their title included with their name when no others do

Usually, George III and etc are well-known monarchs. I put Pope because Francis, and Urban II might not be enough of a descriptor. However, I do include descriptions so I can probably leave them off. 

1.I would have liked to see Pope Innocent III on the list, but I guess suggestions are for the end.

2.I considered Pyotr Tchaikovsky, but I don't think he'll rank in the top 100.

3.I feel Pope Francis is an important modern figure, but wouldn't be in the top 100 of historical figures, probably not even the top 1000.

4.I was originally not going to vote for John Paul II, but since he helped end Communism in Eastern Europe (and in hindisght, since his apologies for past misdeeds of the Roman Catholic Church and his meeting with the Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church is significant), I voted for him.

5.I'm surprised Ptolemy got only a few votes.

Edited by Timur

6 minutes ago, pilight said:

Vcczar's description did him no favors

I'm not sure how that's the case. Millennium is a long time. I'd say his description is more emphatic than most. My only reason for not picking him is that his theory was dismissed hundreds of years ago. He, like everyone else on my list, did a lot of other things, but this is Ptolemy's primary claim to historical influence, even if that influence has dissipated. His other accomplishments are mostly confined to the Greco-Roman world and boundaries. Some of this other works had some influence but nothing nearly as large in the public consciousness as his theory of the Earth's placement.

• Agree 1