The Political Lounge

My Boxing Rankings: Heavyweights

jnewt

I'm sure there probably isn't anyone who really cares about this haha, but I love boxing and I love making lists so I'm going to put out a series of posts ranking the boxers of each weight class from junior lightweight to heavyweight, starting with heavyweight. Feel free to read and comment, or not read and comment lol.

Heavyweight:

1. Tyson Fury
    • Easy decision here. The only person in the world who *might* be able to beat Tyson Fury in a boxing match is Deontay Wilder, and he’s already been knocked out by him twice. No one else could come close.
  2. Deontay Wilder
    • Tougher decision here as Usyk is a unified champion and Wilder has never even unified two of the belts, let alone three. Ultimately though, I don’t think Usyk could hang with guys as big as Fury and Wilder.
  3. Oleksandr Usyk
    • Usyk is obviously next though, and it’s going to be interesting seeing who he fights next after beating AJ again. Fury is the obvious choice so we could see an undisputed unification.
  4. Anthony Joshua
    • Big ugly dosser.
  5. Dillian Whyte
    • The only three fighters Whyte has lost to are ranked number 1 or 4 on this list or named Alexander Povetkin. Wins against Joseph Parker, Dereck Chisora (x2), and Povetkin (in the rematch) are all impressive, but he’s clearly on the outside looking in when it comes to those top 4.
  6. Joseph Parker
    • Watching Parker earlier in his career was amazing, and he’s only had two losses in his career. He’ll probably never be a world champion, but his wins against Hughie Fury, Andy Ruiz, and Dereck Chisora (x2) are enough to put him in the second tier.
  7. Luis Ortiz
    • I wrestled with where to put Ortiz. On the one hand, the guy has been a monster his whole career and has only lost to Deontay Wilder. But on the other hand, he’s 43 years old and hasn’t really fought anyone of note (other than Wilder), let alone recently. The 7 spot feels generous but I could honestly imagine him beating any of the 4-6 guys. Not 1-4, though.
  8. Andy Ruiz Jr.
    • Ruiz took the boxing world by storm when he knocked out Anthony Joshua in 2019. But he’s only fought a washed up Chris Arreola since the rematch. It’s hard to consider him a real threat to anyone until he becomes more active. Still though, he has an impressive enough resume that he belongs in the top 10 without a doubt.
  9. Frank Sanchez
    • Sanchez doesn’t have much of a resume so far, but his skills show he his one of the ten best heavyweights in the world right now. And he's getting even better.
  10. Joe Joyce
    • Joyce has knocked out 12 of his 13 opponents, including former WBC champ Bermane Stiverne. With a weak heavyweight division, he can slide in at 10.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I've only really heard of two of these guys. Unfortunately, the flamboyance of the lightweight category (Mayweather, Pacquiao, etc.) has really dominated boxing coverage and big money bouts for the last several years, despite the fact these guys are objectively better at swaggering than fighting.

Mayweather and Pacquiao actually did most their damage at welterweight, which was really the best "glamour" division for a while. But I'm wondering who the two guys you've heard of are: Fury and Wilder?

10 hours ago, pilight said:

Boxrec has Michael Hunter and Martin Bakole in the top 10 instead of Ruiz & Sanchez

Yea Ruiz isn't included because he's under a drug suspension but I'm pretty sure he'd be listed even higher than I have him

15 hours ago, jnewt said:

Yea Ruiz isn't included because he's under a drug suspension but I'm pretty sure he'd be listed even higher than I have him

Ruiz hasn't fought in over a year.  That's generally when boxrec moves fighters to inactive status.

6 hours ago, pilight said:

Ruiz hasn't fought in over a year.  That's generally when boxrec moves fighters to inactive status.

Ahhh that would explain why some of the other guys who tested positive were still on there. I could have sworn Eleider Alvarez was listed near the top of the light heavyweight ratings and he hasn’t fought in two years, but I must have been conflating their’s with the ESPN rankings. 

Edited by jnewt