The Political Lounge

Part 32: 100 Most Influential

vcczar

Part 32: 100 Most Influential  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• St Thomas Aquinas
    • St. Augustine
    • St. Paul
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Suleiman the Magnificent
    • Sun Yat-sen
    • Susan B Anthony
    • Swami Vivekananda
    • Thales
    • The Beatles
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 02:12 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

St Thomas Aquinas Ground breaking theologian and philosopher who attempted to reconcile Christian theology with Aristotle's philosophy, leading to the concepts of arguing for the existence of God on reason and ordinary experience rather than by faith and scripture alone.
St. Augustine Influential Church Father who developed the concepts of original sin, divine grace, and predestination.
St. Paul Most important figure in the spread and survival of Christianity by Hellenizing it and making it palatable to non-Jewish Roman citizens; all major sects of Christianity today are Pauline, rather than Jamesian, Gnostic, etc., which were prevalent in Paul's time.
Steven Spielberg Pioneer of the New Hollywood Era; highest grossing film director in film industry history
Suleiman the Magnificent Presided during the Golden Age of the Ottoman Empire that saw this Turkic, non-Christian government become a major power within Europe by expanding into Southwestern Europe.
Sun Yat-sen Led the overthrow of the long-lasting Chinese Monarchy, setting the stage for a Communist China
Susan B Anthony Arguably the most iconic women's suffrage activist in US history
Swami Vivekananda Led revival of Hinduism, making it a major world religion; Introduced Yoga into the Western World
Thales Earliest known person in Western Civilization ot have engaged in Scientific Philosopher; Often called the first philosopher; first known person to make a mathematical discovery; first advocate water was the principle element of all nature.
The Beatles The most influential and best-selling band of all time; fundamentally changed pop music and the music industry worldwide; had large impact on sociocultural movements; arguably the most diverse and experimental band as well, mastering a range of inventive styles.

Seeing as we're the only two that have voted this is a comment more between you and me, but having grown up Catholic and having had to sit through Catholic religion classes, the only one of those first three they even really talked about was Aquinas, so I feel that boosts his profile.  On the other hand, out of the entire class, I was literally the only one paying attention so the others didn't learn about him, and the fact they got higher marks for goofing off than actually learning theology like I did was what started my road to becoming an atheist is probably a strong counter argument.

21 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Seeing as we're the only two that have voted this is a comment more between you and me, but having grown up Catholic and having had to sit through Catholic religion classes, the only one of those first three they even really talked about was Aquinas, so I feel that boosts his profile.  On the other hand, out of the entire class, I was literally the only one paying attention so the others didn't learn about him, and the fact they got higher marks for goofing off than actually learning theology like I did was what started my road to becoming an atheist is probably a strong counter argument.

I grew up Catholic too, and also went to a Catholic school. So what you're saying makes sense. I grew disenfranchised but I've grown back into Catholicism. I'd say that that, and being American are my two biggest biases with voting for influential people. I've recognized it though and have been trying to vote without it greatly effecting me.

5 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I grew up Catholic too, and also went to a Catholic school. So what you're saying makes sense. I grew disenfranchised but I've grown back into Catholicism. I'd say that that, and being American are my two biggest biases with voting for influential people. I've recognized it though and have been trying to vote without it greatly effecting me.

I do consider myself a "Catholic atheist" in that as far as Christianity is concerned I have strong theological opinions but at this point it's basically 100% impossible for me to believe in any form of a god. I highly doubt even a physical god in front of me could convince me at this point.  I've basically replaced religion with ideology.