The Political Lounge

Major Playtest Events

Following the 2022 midterms (in which Republicans reclaimed the House and hold a one-seat majority in the Senate), moderate Republicans begin flocking to Ivanka Trump as a possible compromise candidate between MAGA and other parts of the party for the Presidency.

(Marco Rubio's faction ditched Rubio and chose Ivanka as their new faction leader.)

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Following the 2022 midterms (in which Republicans reclaimed the House and hold a one-seat majority in the Senate), moderate Republicans begin flocking to Ivanka Trump as a possible compromise candidate between MAGA and other parts of the party for the Presidency.

(Marco Rubio's faction ditched Rubio and chose Ivanka as their new faction leader.)

Ivanka Trump becomes Party Leader, replacing her dad as the presumed Republican nominee for 2024.

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

INsane

This is related to the (I think new) rule that party leaders are Kingmakers + a 10-sided die.  I'm pretty sure it used to be a 6 sided die.  Ivanka only has 1 kingmaker but got great die rolls.  Donald has 4 kingmakers but rolled trash.

10 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

This is related to the (I think new) rule that party leaders are Kingmakers + a 10-sided die.  I'm pretty sure it used to be a 6 sided die.  Ivanka only has 1 kingmaker but got great die rolls.  Donald has 4 kingmakers but rolled trash.

Maybe we should reduce it to 6 then. Feel free to reduce in on the rules, if you think it leads to more accurate/reasonable results.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm actually thinking about dropping it to 3, perhaps.  So if a faction is significantly ahead on kingmakers, they should likely stay in power.

I think 6 is a good compromise, it keeps those ahead to be likely ahead but also gives a chance for the low performers to get a chance at the bonuses. Keeps things interesting. 

25 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm actually thinking about dropping it to 3, perhaps.  So if a faction is significantly ahead on kingmakers, they should likely stay in power.

3 or maybe even 4 seems to be a good number. In the current 1772 game, I have 11/18 Kingmakers in the Red Party. That’s a dominating portion, but with Kingmakers +d3 I could still easily lose the leadership election if I do something stupid enough to turn the whole party against me. 

However… on the other hand… it could also lead to a situation where two weeks players control a party indefinitely. If CE2 and I were to just be lock and step with every nomination all game, we could have PL probably 90% of the time just between the two of us due to the Kingmaker advantage. The only way a player could wrestle control of the party from us would be to pull a Trump — run for President, win, usurp the Party Leader by force, and make enough changes to the meters and get people elected to Kingmaker-granting positions that Trump’s faction has lasting staying power again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

3 or maybe even 4 seems to be a good number. In the current 1772 game, I have 11/18 Kingmakers in the Red Party. That’s a dominating portion, but with Kingmakers +d3 I could still easily lose the leadership election if I do something stupid enough to turn the whole party against me. 

However… on the other hand… it could also lead to a situation where two weeks players control a party indefinitely. If CE2 and I were to just be lock and step with every nomination all game, we could have PL probably 90% of the time just between the two of us due to the Kingmaker advantage. The only way a player could wrestle control of the party from us would be to pull a Trump — run for President, win, usurp the Party Leader by force, and make enough changes to the meters and get people elected to Kingmaker-granting positions that Trump’s faction has lasting staying power again. 

Are you talking about endorsements?  Because in my recent re-reading of the rules, I discovered that there actually isn't anything there about endorsing party leaders.  Not sure if there used to be, but nothing there now.

12 minutes ago, Cal said:

President Benedict Arnold won’t die until he’s gotten a proper protege elected. Isn’t his son in the game?

I don't think so. There is a Benedict Arnold II, but they aren't related.

Between the 2022 and 2024 elections, KY Senator Rand Paul dies of COVID-related complications.  Former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton both also pass away in this timeframe.

Meanwhile, Senator Mitt Romney and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi both announce they will retire from politics in 2024.

In 1808, in the Supreme Court Case Dartmouth College v. Woodward, President Hiester, due to his support for Justice Andrew Jackson's populist agenda, compels all of his party's Supreme Court Justices to vote in favor of Woodward, weakening the Commerce Clause and allowing state governments to revoke private charters.

Ahistorical outcome.

Edited by Rezi

• 2 months later...