The Political Lounge

Part 34: 100 Most Influential

vcczar

Part 34: 100 Most Influential  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Unknown Middle Eastern initiator of the Neolithic Revolution
    • Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of beer
    • Unknown Egyptian inventor of calculus
    • Unknown Indian inventor of chess
    • Unknown Egyptian inventor of concrete
    • Unknown Chinese inventor of gunpowder
    • Unknown prehistoric inventor of language
    • Unknown Egyptian inventor of optical lenses
    • Unknown Chinese inventor of paper currency
    • Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of organized religion
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2022 at 04:13 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Unknown Middle Eastern initiator of the Neolithic Revolution First person to successfully convince other humans to transition to agriculture and settlement from the previous nomadic hunting and gathering.
Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of beer First to invent beer, the first of which likely had the consistency of gruel.
Unknown Egyptian inventor of calculus First to invent Calculus. It would be invented independently many centuries later in China.
Unknown Indian inventor of chess Inventor of what became chess, which evolved into modern Chess by the Arabs.
Unknown Egyptian inventor of concrete The first to invent concrete
Unknown Chinese inventor of gunpowder Inventor of gunpowder, which would be converted for regular use for military purposes by Western cultures.
Unknown prehistoric inventor of language First pedantic user of language to provide oral rules on how a language should be spoken.
Unknown Egyptian inventor of optical lenses First to invent a lens as a visual aid. Likely an Egyptian invention, but it is possible the Babylonians invented it first.
Unknown Chinese inventor of paper currency The first to invent the process of paper money as currency to represent wealth.
Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of organized religion First to organize a religion in a uniform, orderly manner that encompassed multiple localities or tribes. Transition from personal superstitions and tribe-only gods. The first was likely polytheistic, containing the gods of several tribes allied in the religion. Organized religion would be invented independently elsewhere.
  • Like 1

This might be controversial, but I'm legitimately marking "none of the above".  Because we do not know the circumstances behind each of these inventions, we do not know if it was a single individual, a group effort, or society at large that somehow produced these innovations, despite some of the things on the list of what's been added to collective human knowledge being some of the most important developments ever.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

This might be controversial, but I'm legitimately marking "none of the above".  Because we do not know the circumstances behind each of these inventions, we do not know if it was a single individual, a group effort, or society at large that somehow produced these innovations, despite some of the things on the list of what's been added to collective human knowledge being some of the most important developments ever.

There is some credence to this. If I was making my own list for a book or something they’d probably be honorable mentions at the end

• Like 1
  • Based 1

16 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

There is some credence to this. If I was making my own list for a book or something they’d probably be honorable mentions at the end

Yeah, that's probably how I'd do it. Something like that. I'd make it clear the list is for known influential people. 

Three more votes needed. 

46 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although a single innovator from history whose name is unknown but who obviously existed was the unknown Dark Ages Frankish (or ethnicity living under Frankish rule) blacksmith who developed a way for a blade to hold a length longer than one metre (three feet) within the European sphere of affairs, allowing for big Medieval swords and further advances in hard metallurgy to springboard from such.

My earliest known ancestors were Franks, although arguably a Gallo-Roman Senator named Ennius, according to some historians on Charlemagne's earliest ancestors. This isn't too impressive. I'd wager 50%-75% of the people on this forum are also descended from Charlemagne.