The Political Lounge

Part 35: 100 Most Influential

vcczar

Part 35: 100 Most Influential  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Unknown Babylonian inventor of soap
    • Unknown Sumerian inventor of the abacus
    • Unknown Sumerian inventor of the alphabet
    • Unknown Arab inventor of the numeral system
    • Unknown Egyptian inventor of the clock
    • Unknown Chinese inventor of the compass
    • Unknown Central Asian inventor of the domestication of horses
    • Unknown European inventor of hay
    • Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of the lever
    • Unknown Anatolian inventor of the mirror
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/24/2022 at 05:27 PM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting.

Unknown Babylonian inventor of soap First inventor of soap, which was first used as a medicine and then for cleaning objects.
Unknown Sumerian inventor of the abacus The first to invent the abacus, the ancient ancestor of the calculator.
Unknown Sumerian inventor of the alphabet First to establish an alphabet for their language.
Unknown Arab inventor of the numeral system The inventor of the system that contains numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on as written, replacing the Latin numeral system in the West and rivaling other systems in the East.
Unknown Egyptian inventor of the clock Invented the precursor of the sundial, known as a shadow clock, which is the precursor for clocks. China likely independently invented a clock centuries later.
Unknown Chinese inventor of the compass The first inventor of the influential navigating device.
Unknown Central Asian inventor of the domestication of horses The first person to successfully domesticate a horse for personal use, rather than hunting it for food.
Unknown European inventor of hay Middle Ages inventor who, by way of hay, made it possible to keep some domesticated animals, such as horses, in one locality, rather than migrating seasonally where grass could still grow.
Unknown Middle Eastern inventor of the lever Inventor of a simple machine device to create leverage to lift heavy objects with greater ease.
Unknown Anatolian inventor of the mirror The first to manufacture a reflecting mirror. The earliest known mirrors are found in present day Turkey.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

Alright, I hate to do this, but pedantry time (I know you professors have a sub-culture of it). Soap was independently invented by Polynesians and Inuit (at least). The cuneiform script was not an alphabet, by definition - it was an abjad script, like the modern Hebrew, Arabic, Iranian, Ge'ez, Berber, Burmese, Thai, Tibetan, Khmer, and most South Asian scripts. The first alphabet, by definition, was the Phoenician script - from where, "phoenetic," comes from. And finally, several other time-keeping devices on a daily scale (so not calendars) have been verified by archaeologists, they just didn't evolve directly into the modern clock like the Egyptian sundial did. I'll vote after work.

All reasons to put "None of the Above" 

Two more votes needed.

I think we might get out of the "unknown" nominees in part of the next part, if I remember correctly. We're close to done with the list of nominees. I'll let you know when I'm ready to request other nominees that I left off.