The Political Lounge

The Forum Determines American History - Part One: Convention in Philadelphia

WVProgressive

It's the summer of 1778, and you are a delegate to the United States Constitutional Convention.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should the structure of the Legislative Branch be?

• Unicameral elected legislature determined by population.
    • Bicameral elected legislature determined by population
    • Bicameral elected legislature. Lower House determined by population, Upper House has equal representation.
    • Unicameral elected legislature with equal representation
    • Unicameral legislature appointed by the executive
  2. 2. How should the president be elected?

• President, and Vice-President elected separately using electoral college
    • President, and Vice-President elected on tickets using electoral college
    • President, and Vice-President elected separately using popular vote
    • President, and Vice-President elected on tickets using popular vote
    • President, and Vice-President elected separately using a proportional electoral college
    • President, and Vice-President elected on tickets using proportional electoral electoral college
    • President elected using electoral college, Vice President selected by Senate
    • President elected using popular vote, Vice President selected by Senate
    • No President, the legislature should take the powers of the executive branch
    • The Presidency should be a hereditary office
  3. 3. What should the structure of the Judicial Branch be?

• The judicial branch should take its historical structure
    • The judicial branch's powers should be given to the individual states
    • Only have federal district, and appeals courts, not any kind of supreme court
    • The powers of the judiciary should be controlled by the executive branch
    • The powers of the judiciary should be controlled by the legislative branch
  4. 4. Who should be entitled to vote in the new Republic?

• All property owning white men over the age of 21
    • All white men over the age of 21
    • All free property owning men over the age of 21
    • All free men over the age of 21
    • All free peoples over the age of 21 whom own property
    • All people not in slavery, and over the age of 21
    • All white men, and white women who own property over the age of 21
    • All white people over the age of 21
    • State legislatures should vote for all federal offices
    • Nobody should be allowed to vote.
  5. 5. What powers should the Federal Government be explicitly given in the original constitution? Select all that apply.

• The power to coin money
    • The power to regulate inter-state commerce
    • The power to declare war
    • The power to raise and maintain armed forces
    • The power to establish a Post Office.
    • The power to build roads
    • The power to collect taxes
    • The power to borrow money
    • The power to regulate international commerce
    • The power to regulate intra-state commerce
    • The power to make necessary, and proper laws
    • The power to charter banks, and corporations
    • The power to take private property for public purposes, with just compensation
    • The power to spend money for the general welfare
    • The power to establish federal courts
    • None, all of these powers should belong to the states
  6. 6. What should the process for amending the constitution be?

• There shouldn't be a way to amend the constitution
    • Have a new constitutional convention every twenty years, and amend the constitution then, with a two-thirds majority
    • Amendments must be passed by a 2/3rds majority in congress, then be ratified by a 3/4th of the states before taking effect.
    • National referendum on all new constitutional amendments requiring 2/3rds support to be ratified.
  7. 7. Finally what, if any, position should the founding document take on slavery?

• None there are high emotions on both sides of this issue, and there's nothing to gain by taking a side in the founding document.
    • 20 year ban on any legislation related to slavery after the constitutions ratification, and a counting of slaves as 3/5th a person for the purposes of allotment
    • Slavery is a moral evil, abolish it!
    • Protect a state right to make it's own policy regarding slavery, and ban federal intervention on the topic.
    • Slavery is a moral good, force it upon all the states!
    • Ban slavery in any new states, but protect it in the current slave states.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2021 at 04:00 PM

I had this idea for a new forum game. It takes inspiration from the historical election polls that @vcczarsometimes made on the 270soft forum, but it's more expansive. Rather than just the primary, and general presidential elections, I'd want to also poll users on midterm/down ballot elections, as well as how major events in American history go. Basically my idea is something like a Constitutional Convention-2024 Roleplay, but instead of requiring the effort of a long-term continuous roleplay, it's a series of polls to determine how the nation's history should go. What better place to start than the Constitutional Convention? After 2 days I'll put up a poll for the 1789 Presidential Election. I hope everyone enjoys this, and I also hope I didn't forget anything important in this pol.

• Like 1

Just for clarification, I answered everything in a way where I put myself in the shoes of a South Carolinian at the time. Sorry for the slavery answer lol.

I have feeling we're going to have the Civil War 83 years too early with how popular abolitionism is in this poll.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Okay, what now, @Pringles?! These confused emotes to posts not even directed at you are getting downright obnoxious and odious - and seem even like cowardly potshots.

Oh don't mind me. I just get easily confused by your constant disappointment in everything anyone does. 🙂

1 minute ago, Patine said:

What, you didn't take your generous, free land grant to Loyalists in Upper Canada or New Brunswick given by the Crown for loyalty?

Of course, but why stop there? I think once “president” George is dead we should put another George in charge again....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think my point was valid there, also given I pointed out it was brought up and seriously considered at the historical convention. But, I guess, I'm just expected to suppress my own views entirely and be happy and pleased - and smile - with whatever anyone else says, and never, ever, point out any errors or oversights they may show, is that it? And invest heavily in bridges and swampland, too, as well as electric jockstraps and snake-oil? :S

Tsk, tsk. So much arguing. This is the issue with these so called “democracies”. Wouldn’t it be easier and more efficient to have one person make all these burdensome decisions? A monarch, perhaps?

Edited by Zenobiyl

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think my point was valid there, also given I pointed out it was brought up and seriously considered at the historical convention. But, I guess, I'm just expected to suppress my own views entirely and be happy and pleased - and smile - with whatever anyone else says, and never, ever, point out any errors or oversights they may show, is that it? And invest heavily in bridges and swampland, too, as well as electric jockstraps and snake-oil? :S

You could've spared us your... "disappointment." 

The rest is fine. 😛

2 hours ago, Patine said:

You mean, the monarch that just signs, without reservation, comment, or delay, every act of the Parliament elected by the squires and burgesses of the Kingdom of Great Britain passes? Where Prime Minister Lord North, followed by Prime Minister, the Marquis of Rockingham, hold the true keys to power? That monarch?

Yes.

Slavery is a universal good. In fact, it’s so good we should expand it nationwide. And why just enslave African Americans? Let’s enslave white people too for good measure. Honestly lets just make a slave state for everyone except the king/queen.

(sarcasm alert sarcasm alert)

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, why don't we just turn the Presidency to a ceremonial, powerless position who'll sign all acts of Congress without question and make no act of government initiative and put a paper-mache crown on George Washington's head and a painted rug for raiments, and call him George IV?

No congress. Absolute monarchy 😎