The Political Lounge

Should Donald Trump be in jail?

vcczar

Should Donald Trump be in jail?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the Jan 6th testimony, should Donald Trump be in jail?

• Yes, but only after a fair trial, if that trial finds him guilty of a crime suitable for prison
    • No, the Jan 6th testimonies are just a political sham, and Donald Trump did nothing personally wrong.
    • Other Yes
    • Other No
  2. 2. How will the Jan 6th Hearing impact Trump's 2024 plans and future against likely Democratic nominee Pres. Joe Biden? [Select the response that best captures your prediction]

• No change. It will be as if the hearing never occurred.
    • It will actually increase his support, making him a stronger candidate in a matchup vs. Joe Biden
    • It will hurt his support, but he will still win against Joe Biden.
    • It won't change his plans, but the hearing will do enough that even an unpopular Pres. Joe Biden could defeat him.
    • It won't change is plans, but it will cost him the GOP nominate, as he'll lose to DeSantis or another because of Jan 6th.
    • It will change his plans, even if he doesn't let us know until the last moment. He won't run for president.
    • Trump won't be able to run because he'll be in jail.

46 minutes ago, Patine said:

Some who might support him now because they oppose Social Progressive ideals, "pork-barrel economics," and other things tagged as, "Democratic policies," they still view with derision, might waver if a significant alternative showed up in the 2024 Republican Primaries. What's often overlooked is that, a notable number of Trump voters are voting AGAINST the Democrats, not necessarily FOR Trump. Even the, "Trump regetter," campaign was based on poaching votes for a, "moderate," Democrat - but who would still lead a Democratic Government. And even though I know Trump is not, personally, very Conservative, Libertarian, or War Hawk, a lot of habitual voters see him as the better choice by default. This is, of course, yet another one of the many flaws of a solid two-party system. But, too answer your question, a strong challenger in the 2024 Republican could change a fair number (and I can't quote, or make a strong guess of a NUMBER - but it would be significant) might drop support for him, at least at the Primary level. And these tendencies within rank-and-file Republican voters come, among a few other sources (and a few articles) from a friend of mine in WoW whose from Idaho, and has family in Texas and inland Washington and Oregon.

I don't know what you're talking about. 

The question is literally "How will the Jan 6th Hearing impact Trump's 2024 plans and future against likely Democratic nominee Pres. Joe Biden?"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Ah, I neglected to bring up that key point in my argument. How clumsy of me. Such a significant challenger could - and almost certainly would - use the fact that Trump was the only U.S. President actual legal actions on that level, and in that form, were levied against - as ammunition against him, and draw votes (again, I don't know how many, but enough to make my point) by calling some sense to a portion of the party without the, "Trump regretter," movement to poach votes to Biden. I was remiss to actually miss typing that up, given it was so pivotal. That was human error.

But for such a challenger to use this as leverage against Trump, they'd have to be saying Trump is guilty, and that both the hearings and the election itself was legitimate.

Such a challenger would never win the Republican primary on that platform.  I wish they would!  But they absolutely won't.

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

False? Did they already testify under oath?

Get in the room and testify. Not hide behind tweets and stories of "sources".

The committee can bring the agents in anytime. Will they? Probably not because it messes up their dramatic reveal

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The committee can bring the agents in anytime. Will they? Probably not because it messes up their dramatic reveal

They did say that they welcome anyone to testify under oath. However, what is important to say here is that the secret service agents could say that isn't what happened and still not contradict what Hutchinson said at all. Her testimony said that Ornato told her that's what happened. Ideally, he would have to come in to testify under oath if that's what happened or not or who he heard it from. He appears to be unwillling to come in to testify at this time, though.

1 minute ago, Hestia said:

They did say that they welcome anyone to testify under oath. However, what is important to say here is that the secret service agents could say that isn't what happened and still not contradict what Hutchinson said at all. Her testimony said that Ornato told her that's what happened. Ideally, he would have to come in to testify under oath if that's what happened or not or who he heard it from. He appears to be unwillling to come in to testify at this time, though.

So use a subpoena. They haven’t been shy about that power

And whether what she said was true or not doesn’t change the fact that it is unreliable hearsay. If that incident was factual, they might have something in terms of Trump’s capacities. However her statement does nothing to prove anything because it was zero credibility.

Just now, jvikings1 said:

So use a subpoena. They haven’t been shy about that power

And whether what she said was true or not doesn’t change the fact that it is unreliable hearsay. If that incident was factual, they might have something in terms of Trump’s capacities. However her statement does nothing to prove anything because it was zero credibility.

I'm sure they'll do so - however, everyone's ducking subpoenas and it's taking months to get people to comply. It's not surprising that they're attempting to get people to come in voluntarily. A witness has to answer the questions they have and present all the information that they have available. That was what she knew and she said it. It doesn't prove anything about her credibility (I know you said her statement, I'm just going a bit into what others are saying out there), because she is simply stating what she knows. It is the committee's fault for not showing additional evidence that would prove that statement. It makes me wonder, because they have been pretty careful so far to not use statements like the one she said. I'm sure that we will hear more about it in hearings going forward (one way or another) since it's been a big deal since the last one.

Putting aside the alleged choking incident and everything else in Hutchinson's testimony, it really is amazing that the committee closed yesterday discussing evidence of witness tampering. It's a very desperate move on the part of Trump world, and it seems to have been done in a poor fashion given that the committee caught it. If substantiated, witness tampering could bring charges on its own, depending on how it was done and by who.

Edited by The Blood
  • Like 3

Sometimes I wonder how many Republicans here and elsewhere would be calling out similar if not the same actions if it were simply a Democrat in charge. 

As I wonder how many Democrats would stick behind their own in such a circumstance. However, that isnt the point right now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Based 1

Just now, Pringles said:

Sometimes I wonder how many Republicans here and elsewhere would be calling out similar if not the same actions if it were simply a Democrat in charge. 

As I wonder how many Democrats would stick behind their own in such a circumstance. However, that isnt the point right now. 

Every time republicans and conservative media defend one of their own doing something crazy, I can only think of how they’d react if a Democrat did the exact same thing.

I will say, there has been a slight trajectory in polls suggesting Trump is vulnerable to a challenge from Ron DeSantis. Whether it's because these hearings remind people of why Trump lost to Biden in the first place, because Trump has receded from the spotlight and is becoming yesterday's news, or because of something else entirely, who knows, but at a time when Trump looks to be on the decline, hearings like the one we saw with Hutchinson are not helpful to him, and I believe they hurt his chances, if only a little. 

14 hours ago, Rezi said:

Every time republicans and conservative media defend one of their own doing something crazy, I can only think of how they’d react if a Democrat did the exact same thing.

And vice versa. There’s the iconic image from CNN of the headline that described “peaceful protests” while a building was on fire right behind the reporter.

Thats what you get when it’s my team/party vs the other team/party all the time. No one thinks their team can do any wrong but the other team is always in the wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wait...I thought everyone said she lied?? Just goes to show all that bluster about proving Hutchinson wrong was just spinning the narrative. Testify under oath, or shut your trap. Two options.

Edited by Hestia
  • Agree 2
  • Based 1