The Political Lounge

Untitled Shakespeare Game Playtest

2 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

Which of the remaining do you think is the hardest start? I'll do that one to see if it is possible to survive all the worst possible starting choices XD

I'm not sure yet. This is the first playtest with many of them. 

I’ll take Thomas Sackville

Edited by WVProgressive

Alright! Each Company now has apprentice and boy actors. It still isn't time to cast your team of actors, but you can see who is in the lineup so far. Here's my own analysis:

Note: If an actor is in orange, then they're historical. If blue, then fictional. Historical actors are almost always better. 

@10centjimmy is going to have a lot of work to do. His best actors should only be given minor roles in good company. 

@Bloot911's company has some potential now. He's got James Burbage--a true lead, a worthy support actor, and two good apprentices, who will one day take on better roles. Apprentice William Knell could eventually be better than James Burbage (father of the more famous Richard Burbage who played Hamlet and all of Shakespeare's lead roles). As such, once Knell hits age 21, he'll have to choose who will lead because they probably won't both stay with the company if they both want to leave. Not a bad problem to have. 

@ConservativeElector2 has a good startup company. John Bentley and Lawrence Dutton are keepers. Bentley is one of the best actors who cannot lead, which means Conservative still has a hole for lead. One boy actor, Thomas Towne, will almost certainly keep an adult role once he's old enough. 

@OrangeP47 might have the worst company at this point. He does not have a single historical actor. Thomas Cheddar is his one small bright spot because, as mediocre of an actor as he is, he has the ability to lead. Most of these new companies lack a true lead. This means that while his technical skill isn't great, his presence is great. 

@ShortKing's best actors are too young for the adult roles. John Lanham has a year or two to go to become an adult actor, and he'll definitely be a keeper. Boy actor Robert Armin is his best catch. He has a potential to be a 5 in acting (perfect score) and he's very consistent, which means he'll basically always be in top form. He's a lead clown, although he can't lead until he reaches age 21. Armin is 8 years old, the minimum age for an actor. For 10 years he'll have middling roles as a boy actor, and for 4 years he'll play female and minor roles as an apprentice. This is a long investment, but he's probably a top 3 comic actor in the entire game. Historically, Armin played the fool in King Lear and took on the lead comic roles in all of Shakespeare's plays from 1600-1613, which is to say, the last 60% or so of Shakespeare's career. 

@Willthescout7 is in exactly the same boat as 10centjimmy. Almost the same company but different names. 

@WVProgressive is kind of lucky here. Robert Wilson is a very consistent lead clown. Additionally, Robert Wilson can also write plays, although probably not great plays. The downside to this is that Wilson would likely have to take a season (3 months) off acting to write the play when that happens. Historically, Wilson wrote few plays early on. By the late 1590s, it seems like he was mostly writing plays in collaboration with other playwrights than acting.

Up next: The Companies will seek a performance place. I need to type up a tab of all the theatre data, and then I'll let you choose. Might be today or tomorrow.  

• Like 4

@WVProgressive @Willthescout7 @ShortKing@10centjimmy @Bloot911 @OrangeP47 @ConservativeElector2

The companies now need performance spaces. For simplicities sake, you'll need 26 performances a month, as you can't perform on Sundays. 

This will be a little rocky at first because London isn't really prepared for the theatre. There really isn't a single true theatre, although the theatre at Newington Butts comes closest. The owner of the Red Lion Farm is willing to reconvert the farm into a small theatre there for 15 pounds, but all of you only have 30 pounds left and you'll need that for more things. There had been a theatre there from 1567-1568 but it closed as the theatre wasn't yet ready to take off in London. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

• You want to find enough performance space for 26 performances. If you can't get Newington Butts, then you'll have to jump around to different part-time locations. 
  • For part-time locations, you can't book them back to back. So you will have to jump from one to another, although you can jump back to one you've booked before. 
  • If you think your company is better than other player's, then you might want to book spaces that are likely to have competition. However, if you think your company is weak, you'll want to book a space that hasn't any other performance spaces.
  • The closer you are to the City of London, the more likely you'll have a larger audience. The locations of the current theatres will put you either in the City of London, East End or Southwark. 
  • Check the terms for the rent cost. You'll almost certainly make enough for rent, but you'll need profit to keep the theatre running. 
  • One option, if you can't land a performance space, is to go on tour to the countryside. You won't make much money but the costs are much lower. 

See these performance spaces below, and then place them in the order that you hope to go from space-to-space. If there are any conflicts, I'll let you know. Please see what the other companies have booked. First come first serve:

Theatre Space Status Terms Rent Location Opens Closes Availability Type Total Audience Capacity
Boar's Head Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Whitechapel (East End) 1557 1616 Part-time Innyard 500
The Bull Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Aldgate (City of London) 1575 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
Saracen's Head Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Aldgate (City of London) 1557 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
Newington Butts Theatre   Available to rent for 3-month lease Half the galleries income for the performance Newington Butts (Southwark) 1576 1595 Full-time Small Outdoor 1000
The Beargarden   Available 1 day a week 1 pound per day Bankside (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Medium Outdoor 1500
The Bull Ring   Available 1 day a week 1 pound per day Bankside (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Medium Outdoor 1500
The Bell Inn   Available for a 1-week lease 10 shillings per day Cornhill (City of London) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard w/ indoor hall 500
The George Inn - Southwark   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day St Mary's (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
The George Inn - Whitechapel   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Whitechapel (East End) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
The Tabard Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day St Mary's (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 0
The Red Lion Farm   Available; Convertible to Theatre for 15 pounds and then leased for a year Half the galleries income for the performance Whitechapel (East End) 1567 1568 Full-time Small Outdoor 1000

19 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I am fine with keeping the list from first to last in this order. So I would choose Boar's Head Inn as #1

You gotta be more specific because You can’t have both Newington Butts and an inn, for instance. All the days for taking the spot aren’t equal as well. So I need a totaled list from you and the others that equals 26 days. In the order you want to perform in them. 

If I drop off to be a bit slow, my apologies, but I've caught covid (though I'm vaxed, so it's mild).  This has been a bright spot so far while ill though so tbh I'm probably gonna keep up with this more than AMPU while I'm having my feet swept out from under me haha.

Venue rotation list:

The Beargarden

Boar's Head Inn

The Bull Inn

The George Inn - Southwark

The George Inn - Whitechapel

The Tabard Inn

(Repeat)

• Thanks 1

@vcczarfeel free to correct me if I filled this out wrong

Venue Rotation 

Day 1. The Bull Inn

2. The Bull Inn

3. The Beargarden

4. Saracen's Head Inn

5. Saracen's Head Inn

6. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

7. The Bull Inn

8. The Bull Inn

9. The Bear Garden

10. Saracen's Head Inn

11. Saracen's Head Inn

12. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

13. The Bull Inn

14. The Bull Inn

15. The Beargarden

16. Saracen's Head Inn

17. Saracen's Head Inn

18. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

19. The Bull Inn

20. The Bull Inn

21. The Bull Inn

22. Saracen's Head Inn

23. Saracen's Head Inn

24. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

25. The Bull Inn

26.The Bull Inn

Edited by WVProgressive
  • Based 1

3 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

@vcczarfeel free to correct me if I filled this out wrong

Venue Rotation 

Day 1. The Bull Inn

2. The Bull Inn

3. The Bull Inn

4. Saracen's Head Inn

5. Saracen's Head Inn

6. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

7. The Bull Inn

8. The Bull Inn

9. The Bull Inn

10. Saracen's Head Inn

11. Saracen's Head Inn

12. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

13. The Bull Inn

14. The Bull Inn

15. The Bull Inn

16. Saracen's Head Inn

17. Saracen's Head Inn

18. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

19. The Bull Inn

20. The Bull Inn

21. The Bull Inn

22. Saracen's Head Inn

23. Saracen's Head Inn

24. Saracen's Head Inn

Off Sunday

25. The Bull Inn

26.The Bull Inn

Perfect!

• Like 1

Day 1: The Bull Ring
Day 2: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 3: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 4: Boar's Head Inn
Day 5: Boar's Head Inn
Day 6: Boar's Head Inn
(Sunday)
Day 8: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 9: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 10: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 11: The Beargarden
Day 12: The Bull Ring
Day 13: Boar's Head Inn
(Sunday)
Day 15: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 16: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 17: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 18: The Beargarden
Day 19: Boar's Head Inn
Day 20: The Bull Ring
(Sunday)
Day 22: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 23: The Beargarden
Day 24: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 25: Saracen's Head Inn
Day 26: The Bull Ring

1.The George Inn- WhiteChapel

2. The George Inn-WhiteChapel

3. The George Inn- Whitechapel 

4. The Bull Inn

5. The Bull Inn

6. The Bull Inn

7. Off Sunday

8.The Tabern Inn 

9. The Tabern Inn

10. The Tabern Inn

11, The George Inn -WhiteChapel

12. The George Inn- WhiteChapel

13. The George Inn- WhiteChapel

14. Off

15. the Bell Inn

16. The Bell Inn

17. The Bell Inn

18. The Bell Inn

19. The Bell Inn

20. The  Bell Inn

21. Off

22. The Bear Garden  

23. The George Inn- SouthWark

24.The George Inn- SouthWark

25. The George Inn- SouthWark

26. The Bear Garden 

1. Tabard Inn

2. Tabard Inn

3. Tabard Inn

4. The Bear Garden

5. The Bull Inn

6. The George Inn Southwark

Off 

8. The George Inn Southwark

9. The George Inn Southwark

10. The Beargarden

11. The Bull Ring

12. The George Inn Southwark l

13. Tabard Inn

Off

15. The Beargarden

16. The Bull Ring

17.  Tabard inn

18. Saracen

19. Saracen

20. Saracen

Off

22. George Inn Whitechapel

23. George Inn Whitechapel

24. George Inn Whitechapel

25. Beargarden 

26. George Inn Southwark 

5 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

1. Tabard Inn

2. Tabard Inn

3. Tabard Inn

4. The Bear Garden

5. The Bull Inn

6. The George Inn Southwark

Off 

8. The George Inn Southwark

9. The George Inn Southwark

10. The Beargarden

11. The Bull Ring

12. The George Inn Southwark l

13. Tabard Inn

Off

15. The Beargarden

16. The Bull Ring

17.  Tabard inn

18. Saracen

19. Saracen

20. Saracen

Off

22. George Inn Whitechapel

23. George Inn Whitechapel

24. George Inn Whitechapel

25. Beargarden 

26. George Inn Southwark 

@vcczar i cannot plug these in, looks like view only permissions on that tab

Edited by 10centjimmy

Not sure if that works, but I tried my best:

1. Saracen

2. The George Inn Southwark

3. The George Inn Southwark

4. George Inn Whitechapel

5. George Inn Whitechapel

6. Tabard Inn

Off 

8. George Inn Whitechapel

9. George Inn Whitechapel

10. George Inn Whitechapel

11. The George Inn Southwark

12. The George Inn Southwark

13. The George Inn Southwark

Off

15. George Inn Whitechapel

16. George Inn Whitechapel

17.  George Inn Whitechapel

18. Tabard Inn

19. Tabard Inn

20. Tabard Inn

Off

22. The Beargarden

23. The Bull RIng

24. Tabard

25. Tabard

26. George Inn Whitechapel

Edited by ConservativeElector2

1. The George Inn-Southwark
  2. The Tabarn Inn
  3. The Bear Garden
  4. The George Inn-Southwark
  5. The Tabarn Inn
  6. The George Inn-Whitechapel
  7. Saracen's Head Inn
  8. Bull's Head Inn
  9. The Bear Garden
  10. The Tabarn Inn
  11. Boar's Head
  12. The Tabarn Inn
  13. The Bear Garden
  14. The George Inn-Southwark
  15. Boar's Head
  16. George Inn Southwark
  17. Boar's Head
  18. George Inn Southwark
  19. The Bell Inn
  20. The Bell Inn
  21. The Bell Inn
  22. The Bell Inn
  23. The Bell Inn
  24. The Bell Inn
  25. The Bell Inn
  26. The Tabarn Inn

I think this is accurate based on what others have picked and my understanding of the rules. I was confused by what you meant by back to back performances when I saw others had places for multiple days in a row.