The Political Lounge

Untitled Shakespeare Game Playtest

16 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I suppose no actions that require my attention then, I think.

Yeah. A loan is optional for you in this case. There may be an advantage to taking one out if you can conceive of any spending that might help your company. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I think I just need to hear from @WVProgressive and @Willthescout7

I'll take the 100 pound loan.

Processed your costs for Room and Board. I think @OrangeP47 might want to find cheaper housing, say a room at an inn. Everyone else is okay where they are for the moment. 

We will start February 1576 next, either later today or tomorrow. I'll have to create some events since the Events phase is next. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Processed your costs for Room and Board. I think @OrangeP47 might want to find cheaper housing, say a room at an inn. Everyone else is okay where they are for the moment. 

We will start February 1576 next, either later today or tomorrow. I'll have to create some events since the Events phase is next. 

Is it too late for me to do that now? If I can, I'd like to do that, if I can't, eh, next time.

Edited by OrangeP47

I don't know how much strategizing out loud we're going to be doing (or how much I should inform my opponents of my thought processes, heh), but my thinking on not taking the loan was, that, if I need it, taking it later as opposed to now gives me more time to repay it, and presumably later I'll know more how to generate money as opposed to now.

• Thanks 1

@WVProgressive @Willthescout7 @ShortKing@10centjimmy @Bloot911 @OrangeP47 @ConservativeElector2

Historical Events:

• There are rumors that Queen Elizabeth is considering marriage with Francis, Duke of Anjou of France. For the sake of succession, the Queen's advisors have been pushing her to get married and have children. The Queen, now 42, is running out of time. The Duke of Anjou is the 20-year-old brother of King Henry III of France. As the King is childless, the Duke is heir to the throne of France.
  • The French Ambassador is now in London and is available as a celebrity theatre-goer. 

I still need to make dozens and dozens of general events. I'm going to need more time to make those, so we will skip them until I get them done. These are generally events that are personal, rather than historical. 

Let me say something about celebrities. So the game has about 100ish celebrities. These help with prestige. You want them to go to your plays because they can help establish connections and etc. Currently, your performance spaces are so shoddy that the only place with an outside shot of a celebrity is the Bell Inn, which is a fancier inn with an indoor performance place. 

The example of the French Ambassador above is typical of other ambassadors in the game (Spanish, Dutch, Holy Roman, Ottoman, etc). They tend to come in when events relevant to their country occur and when relations with a nation are good. 

The next thing up is Tasks for Managers. Each of you have a manager that is part of your staff. In the computer version of the game, you can delegate all sorts of things to the manager -- setting up schedules, finding theatres, etc. That way a player can handle only the parts they're interested in handling. Also, if the impresario gets invested in too many outside-of-theatre things, the manager will be forced to step in. 

For now, let's work on this manager task: Seeking a Prestigious Performance:

A performance in one of the below locations is good for several reasons. It raises prestige, but also, outdoor theatres have lower attendance in Winter. These spaces are indoor and they pay well. The riskier ones are the performances at the estates. They could pay more than the rest, but they also take you out of London, which means you lose some days to work because of travel time. 

Send your messenger to do one of these tasks. You'll likely have to negotiate several times. The company with the greater relations with the monarch, Inns of Court, Guilds, Lord Mayor, etc. will have the greater shot of getting the appointment:

• Send manager to the Palace of Whitehall to negotiate performing in December or January. 
  • Send manager to the Inns of Court to negotiating performing to law students in December, January, or February. 
  • Send manager to Guildhall to negotiated with the Guilds to perform for a friendly guild in December, January, or February. 
  • Send manager to the Lord Mayor to negotiate a performance for the Lord Mayor’s Pageant in September. 
  • Send manager to your patron to negotiate a performance at his estate in Summer or Winter. 
  • Send manager to random nobleman or aristocrat to negotiate a performance at their estate in Summer or Winter.

Eventually, I'll have other unique manager tasks. 

Send our manager to seek a performance at our patron’s estate.

46 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Send manager to Guildhall to negotiate with the Guilds to perform for a friendly guild in December, January, or February

@vcczarDo I need to specify the guild?

No, it will go to one that you are attached to or to whatever guild has the largest membership in your group. I might eventually make you choose, but I'm having to start this game off simple and then expand it as we play through it. 

@WVProgressive @Willthescout7 @ShortKing@10centjimmy @Bloot911 @OrangeP47 @ConservativeElector2

Prior to seeing how your manager's negotiate a prestigious performance, I have decided to give managers an ability number. Instead of Manager = Yes. Manager now = 1 through 5. The higher the number, the better they are as a representative of a company. Historical managers will always be better than fictional ones. 

The higher the relations number, the greater chance you have at booking a gig. I think the top relation company will have a 50% chance of getting the appointment, 2nd a 30%, and 3rd 20%. So you just want to have the 3rd highest points in every category. For relations with Patrons, only the three companies with the highest relations with their patron will perform for their patron. 

@10centjimmy John Alleyn, 2 skill manager, die roll of 2, (2x2) = 4pts towards relations with Guildhall. 

@Bloot911 James Burbage, 4 skill manager, die roll of 8, = 32 pts towards relations with Patron

@ConservativeElector2 Sebastian Westcott, 3 skill manager, die roll of 2, = 6 towards relations with Whitehall.

@OrangeP47 Richard Farrant, 3 skill manager, die roll of 6, = 18 towards relations with Guildhall. 

@ShortKing John Brayne, 2 skill manager, die roll of 9, = 18 towards relations with the Inns of Court

@Willthescout7 Henry Evans, 3 skill manager, die roll of 2, = 6 towards relations with Patron

@WVProgressive Margaret Brayne, 2 skill manager, die roll of 5, = 10 towards relations with Patron. 

At the rate, everyone will get a performance with their targets. Next month, you might try to block someone from getting a performance that they're targeting, for instance. 

We will skip a few phases that you are all ineligible for. The next eligible stage at this point is an option to hire/fire actors. Let me create a Free Agent list of actors. I'll then tag you all again when that's ready.