The Political Lounge

Untitled Shakespeare Game Playtest

@WVProgressive @Willthescout7 @ShortKing@10centjimmy @Bloot911 @OrangeP47 @ConservativeElector2

So there are currently no adult free agent actors. All that remains are apprentice and child actors. 

You won't be able to know which free agent actor you'll get. 

You're only allowed to fire/hire actors once person season unless you lose someone to an event or if someone is bribed away. 

Let me know one of the following:

• Name an apprentice or child actor you wish to replace and let me know if they're apprentice or child. I'll then randomly give you someone. In the computer version, the manager's skill will play a role in your chance of getting the best person available, since he's in charge of finding someone.
  • Tell me you'll keep who you have. 

@WVProgressive @Willthescout7 @ShortKing@10centjimmy @Bloot911 @OrangeP47 @ConservativeElector2

@10centjimmy drops boy actor Matthias Sheraton, who becomes a free agent. His manager finds for him Thomas Pope, an 11-year-old actor with standard consistency, potential for 3 acting, provides 3 comic boost and 2 tragic boost, can be a manager once an adult, is a touring vet, and has the finance skill (which I'm yet to introduce into the game). Pope is a historical actor. 

@OrangeP47 drops apprentice Abraham Lincoln, who also becomes a free agent. His manager finds John Adams, a historical actor. He's a 20-year-old apprentice, which means he can graduate to an adult actor next year. Adams has standard consistency, 3 potential, +3 boost to both tragic and comic plays. One an adult, he'll demand a lead dramatist role, which means there will be an easy choice between Adams and Cheddar. Adams can be a manager (once an adult0 and he's also a touring vet. Historically, he was the lead actor for Sussex's Men. 

Update: I think I'm going to change the game to where each turn is a season (4-turns a year, rather than 12). This will make playing to 1642 more bearable. Additionally, rather than phases, I'll have action points, and the impresario will be able to choose among the various options, using action points. They'll also set up their cast and plays for the season, and then submit. The simulation of the Season might stop based on events or if there is a conflict. For instance, if @ConservativeElector2 and @ShortKing both pick the same venue, one of them will be forced to pick another place before the simulation can continue. I think both of these changes will speed up the game without losing anything. 

I'll apply these above changes after this month since February is the last month of the Winter Season. 

Here's what I need for everyone next:

1. Since I'm trying to expedite this month, pick just one venue that will represent your month (or you can go on tour). Make sure you don't pick a venue someone else picked. First come first serve. See Theatres tab for your options. 
  2. Let me know if you want to fire a staff member and replace them from a free agent who will be chosen at random. Currently, only managers have their ability # set, so just let me know if you want to drop your manager and take a shot in the dark at someone better (or worse!)
  3. Look at Published Plays and your current plays listed on your company's tab. Let me know if you want to purchase any plays you don't currently have. 
  4. If you can spare 5 pounds+wages to pay a playwright, and can pay to license the play with the Master of the Revels, then you might want to have a playwright write a new play. See the play ideas section. If you have the Earl of Oxford and Farrant, then you have playwrights (not good ones) that could write plays. You can also hire a free agent. You'll get a random play idea. The playwright's skill has to match the skill requires to write the idea. If you can't write the play idea, then you keep the idea, until you find the playwright that can write it. If you hire a playwright that can't write the idea, you'll have to pay the wages for the month, but you won't have to dish over 5 pounds or pay the Master of the Revels. Some plays require a source, which means you may have to pay a playwright for two months and purchase the source from the bookstore. Generally, you may want to wait until you get your company off the ground before producing new plays; however, new plays are what becomes a hit of the season most frequently. 
  5. Let me know if you want to change your casting order. I think @ConservativeElector2 might want to do this as his actors were unhappy. John Adams's position among the apprentices could change for @OrangeP47.
  6. Let me know which play you want to use to represent your month. This is the one that will be staged in the venue you select above. You want to avoid picking the same play as someone else. 
  7. (New) Let me know how much you want to dish out for advertising. Everyone will get a 10-sided die roll. This can be modified by +1 for every shilling you pay towards advertising. Advertising will help in competition with other companies in your neighborhood and help in overall attendance. 20 shillings equal a pound, so full advertising is half a pound. I

I'll give you more than 24 hours to do this if you need it, since it is a lot. After this turn, and the processing, I may need a few days to update the game to the changes I mention in the bold. I also need to polish up the rules doc so it looks less like notes, so I can share it. 

1. The Bell Inn

2.  No moves

3. No Moves

4. Have Robert Wilson write a Generic Comedy Play

5. If I can have Robert Wilson write a play, then make Lawrence Fletcher our lead clown

6. The Disobedient Child

7. 5 shillings into advertising

Ok, processed everything but the performances. So this is income, profit/debt, etc., but not the power of the performance:

@ConservativeElector2 was hurt by another company performing the same play. He loses -11.2 pounds after wages and rent is paid. He's got 8.55 pounds going into next season. 

@ShortKing taking Newington Butts Theater was a wise decision. He rakes in 87.4 pounds! He goes in next season with just over 127 pounds, and he could pay off his 50 pound loan before any interest accrues, if he wishes. 

@10centjimmy purchased Red Lion Farm and converts it into a theatre for 15 pounds. Despite this investment, he makes 29.3 pounds on the month. This is in addition to paying the Earl of Oxford to write a crappy comedy (Generic Oxford Comedy #3). He's got 66.2 pounds for next season, and could pay off the 50 pound loan if he wishes to. 

@OrangeP47 barely makes a profit at 4.5 pounds. He's got 13.5 in company cash going into next season. 

@WVProgressive 's use of Bell Inn is wise. It's a rare high-class inn and the seats are more expensive, although the rent is more costly. She takes in 59.9 pounds, and this includes paying Robert Wilson to write a crappy play. The play idea he randomly drew up is a Generic Morality play. Not the most helpful since Morality plays are overdone. Regardless, it's another pay. The leaves the company with exactly 153 pounds. The 100 pound loan could be paid off. 

@Bloot911 makes 4.5 pounds. The company has just over 52 pounds for next season. He owes 50 pounds for a loan, which he probaly should wait to pay off. 

@Willthescout7 sort of drug himself and ConservativeElector2 down by playing the same play that CE2 was playing: Ralph Roister Doister. He loses -10.7 pounds. He is now the ony company headed into the next season that is in the read. He's got just over -3 pounds. He will have to take out a loan or dissolve the company. 

Next: Figuring out the play of the day, which will symbolize the play of the month for this playtest. 

• Like 4