The Political Lounge

1960 Playtest Question

1960 Playtest Question  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How do we want to handle 1964? We can't keep going like we have been.

• Draft Class 1960 and 1956 get mid-way values for their abilities, Class 64 gets normal, Class 1952 and before are maxed out
    • Reset with the new traits in the rules doing 1964 as normal then redoing 1960 under the new system
    • Keep chugging under the rules as they change.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2022 at 08:00 PM

Politicians are too weak, this is fine for most stats but not for admin. There's maybe 8 or pols in the game rn  with 3 admin and none with more than 3. This is leading to a scenario where every cabinet is filled with a bunch of 2's who crater the meters. This will likely get worse as the Republicans have a far more competent array of cabinet officials. The Democrats have a far weaker selection and will likely continue to plunge the nation into a hole if/when they win in 64. So most likely there needs to be a reset of the scenario or there needs to be a patch to make it so people are competent enough to do their jobs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murrman104 said:

Politicians are too weak, this is fine for most stats but not for admin. There's maybe 8 or pols in the game rn  with 3 admin and none with more than 3. This is leading to a scenario where every cabinet is filled with a bunch of 2's who crater the meters. This will likely get worse as the Republicans have a far more competent array of cabinet officials. The Democrats have a far weaker selection and will likely continue to plunge the nation into a hole if/when they win in 64. So most likely there needs to be a reset of the scenario or there needs to be a patch to make it so people are competent enough to do their jobs.

Which stats do you all use for this game? I have a category for midway stats. Then there’s historic stats. Historic stats take place at peak year or after. Each politician has a peak year. Midway stats are for politicians what start after draft year but before the peak year. We’re historic and midway stats applied at game start? Will tag @MrPotatoTed too

Just now, vcczar said:

Which stats do you all use for this game? I have a category for midway stats. Then there’s historic stats. Historic stats take place at peak year or after. Each politician has a peak year. Midway stats are for politicians what start after draft year but before the peak year. We’re historic and midway stats applied at game start? Will tag @MrPotatoTed too

we used the stats that Cal started the playtest with and the old traits. So midway and peak stats were not added, but I intend to add them in 64

Edited by Arkansas Progressive

2 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

we used the stats that Cal started the playtest with and the old traits. So midway and peak stats were not added, but I intend to add them in 64

That should make a difference. Without them, everyone is starting with rookie stats. Apply it only to those that were drafted before game start. Those drafted in game play have to develop naturally via career track and etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That should make a difference. Without them, everyone is starting with rookie stats. Apply it only to those that were drafted before game start. Those drafted in game play have to develop naturally via career track and etc. 

yea that's the plan

• Based 1

Actually according to the sheet, it would be draft classes 1944 and prior who would be maxed out (16 years which follows the career path logic; 8-15 for midpoint)

one problem is that even with maxed out stats, most Generals have zero Admin, so the Chairmen of Joint Chiefs will continue to tank the military prep as evidenced by the hole dug so far.    

2 minutes ago, Vols21 said:

Actually according to the sheet, it would be draft classes 1944 and prior who would be maxed out (16 years which follows the career path logic; 8-15 for midpoint)

one problem is that even with maxed out stats, most Generals have zero Admin, so the Chairmen of Joint Chiefs will continue to tank the military prep as evidenced by the hole dug so far.    

That or we use mil during lingering phase, depending on what rules we want to use

I’ve had a ton of discussions lately on the JC.    Consensus seems to be: we can’t beef up Admin for them because then they’ll end up being used for Cabinet and Ambassador roles in ways not often done in history (the exceptions have extra admin already).    That’s why I suggested a hybrid solution- using their military skill plus the admin they gain upon appointment.   (For most the ones I checked the total value is 3 with some getting 4)

Since we’re not actually playing but supposed to be testing (and the game failed the test so far - didn’t have correct stats to start and some rules have been  completely rewritten, plus one that’s more unique to the post WWII eras and is still up in the air).    So the best test might be restart 1960 ( or another year) with the edits and see what the results look like.     I saw suggested to mix up the teams to keep it interesting.   While I like my team, I’m ok with it for testing purposes 
I still think the election process needs its own standalone testing to help determine if all the changes made went too far, but that’s a whole other matter.

1 minute ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Still 8-4

Though question, can you see who voted, as the poll creator? Because 8+4 is 12 which is more than the number of factions, unless this was intended to be a general forum poll and not just a playtester poll.

7 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Though question, can you see who voted, as the poll creator? Because 8+4 is 12 which is more than the number of factions, unless this was intended to be a general forum poll and not just a playtester poll.

it was a playtester poll - and I disabled seeing who voted for what while it was ongoing