The Political Lounge

Rank These Potential 2024 Candidates

vcczar

Who would make the best president for 2025-2029? Rank them in order from best to worst

Joe Biden

Donald Trump

Kamala Harris

Mike Pence

Ron DeSantis

Pete Buttigieg

Elizabeth Warren

Bernie Sanders

Gavin Newsom

Larry Hogan

Ted Cruz

Tom Cotton

Rand Paul

Raphael Warnock

Cory Booker

Gretchen Whitmer

Hillary Clinton

Mitt Romney

Tim Scott

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Marjorie Taylor Greene

42 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Who would make the best president for 2025-2029? Rank them in order from best to worst

Joe Biden

Donald Trump

Kamala Harris

Mike Pence

Ron DeSantis

Pete Buttigieg

Elizabeth Warren

Bernie Sanders

Gavin Newsom

Larry Hogan

Ted Cruz

Tom Cotton

Rand Paul

Raphael Warnock

Cory Booker

Gretchen Whitmer

Hillary Clinton

Mitt Romney

Tim Scott

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Here's my ranking:

1. Cory Booker
  2. Gretchen Whitmer
  3. Raphael Warnock *These top 3 are the most electable for Democrats if Biden doesn't run for reelection.*
  4. Elizabeth Warren *Ideologically #1 for me*
  5. Gavin Newsom *Probably too Californian*
  6. Pete Buttigieg *Can't win black vote*
  7. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez *Falls because polarizing*
  8. Bernie Sanders *Falls because of age*
  9. Joe Biden *Falls because of age*
  10. Kamala Harris
  11. Hillary Clinton
  12. Larry Hogan *Only Republican I'd be okay with as president of these options*
  13. Mitt Romney
  14. Tim Scott   *Anyone from Scott down is horrifying*
  15. Ron DeSantis
  16. Rand Paul
  17. Tom Cotton
  18. Mike Pence
  19. Donald Trump
  20. Ted Cruz 
  21. Marjorie Taylor Greene
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Bernie Sanders

Mitt Romney

Hillary Clinton

Gavin Newsom

Mike Pence

Larry Hogan

Gretchen Whitmer

Rand Paul

Pete Buttigieg

AOC

Cory Booker

Tim Scott

Elizabeth Warren

Raphael Warnock

Ted Cruz

Ron DeSantis

Donald Trump

Tom Cotton

Joe Biden

Kamala Harris

MTG

What is your criteria? This is kind of just all over the place, ideologically and politically. If someone didn't know you, they'd probably assume you used a random name generator to create a random list. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

What is your criteria? This is kind of just all over the place, ideologically and politically. If someone didn't know you, they'd probably assume you used a random name generator to create a random list. 

Hahaha! Yeah probably that's fair. So my criteria is firstly who I think is the most qualified or who would handle it best(ideology aside) from there it goes who do I think would promote liberties rather than take them away(they all fail to some extent so it then goes based off who would take the least amount away) then I throw in a little bit of my own ideological beliefs. I also consider personality traits. (so for example Hillary is imo the most qualified, but she's not number one because of some of her personality traits and past controversies.) Biden and Trump are the only ones I consider how they handled the job and how the country was/is under them. Trump is lucky that from 17 to 19 inflation wasn't killing the average person(I do recognize the president is not completely responsible for the economy but as James Carville would say it's the economy)

So yeah it's a bit all over the place but there is a method to it and I do consider quite a bit. If I was to be ranking the best based off ideology or whatever else it'd look different. But when I hear "best president" those are the qualities I'm looking for. Mainly if one is qualified for the job and the stress.

• Thanks 1

I can really only say that I have a favorable opinion of the top 3.

1. Rand Paul
2. Ron DeSantis
3. Tim Scott
4. Donald Trump
5. Larry Hogan
6. Mitt Romney
7. Pete Buttigieg
8. Tom Cotton
9. Hillary Clinton
10. Gretchen Whitmer
11. Ted Cruz
12. Gavin Newsom
13. Mike Pence
14. Joe Biden
15. Cory Booker
16. Raphael Warnock
17. Kamala Harris
18. Bernie Sanders
19. Elizabeth Warren
20. MTG
21. AOC

• Like 1

1. Gretchen Whitmer
  2. Gavin Newsom
  3. Cory Booker
  4. Elizabeth Warren
  5. Bernie Sanders
  6. Pete Buttigieg
  7. Larry Hogan
  8. Mitt Romney
  9. Joe Biden
  10. Raphael Warnock
  11. Kamala Harris
  12. Tim Scott
  13. Mike Pence
  14. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  15. Donald Trump
  16. Hillary Clinton
  17. Rand Paul
  18. Ted Cruz
  19. Ron DeSantis
  20. Tom Cotton
  • Like 1

1. Gretchen Whitmer

2. Cory Booker

3. Gavin Newsom

4. Pete Buttigieg

5. Raphael Warnock

6. Bernie Sanders

7. Hillary Clinton

8. Elizabeth Warren

9. Joe Biden

10. Kamala Harris

11. Larry Hogan

12. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 

13. Mitt Romney

14. Tim Scott (Anyone below this point fucking sucks)

15. Mike Pence

16. Ron DeSantis

17. Tom Cotton

18. Ted Cruz

19. Rand Paul

20. Donald Trump

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

1. Pete Buttigieg *Can't win black vote*

That's a narrative (largely spread by Biden's people in self-defense) that will be four years old by the start of the next election.  You think he doesn't know that?  Assuming he wants to run again, he knows that's priority one and is likely already working to rectify it.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Patine said:

Are Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton serious contenders for candidates in 2024? I usually just hear Clinton's name dropped as a, "boogeywoman," to Democrats in a, "how to lose the next election really bad," rhetoric. Is she a serious contender, though? Has she even expressed any interest at all? And would Tom Cotton and Marjorie Taylor Greene run if Trump was still running?

There are no serious contenders right now, other than Joe Biden who announced he is running and Donald Trump who mostly announced he is running.  Until further notice, everyone else is hypothetical.

I don't think Hillary ever runs again, and I say that as someone who proudly supported her in 2016 even in the primary.  But she had her chance and she lost against Donald Trump of all people, so I'd rank her electability as zero despite personally supporting her.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Are we ranking based on how good of a candidate they would be or how good of a President they would be?

For example, I'd rank Donald Trump as an extremely strong candidate for the Republican election, but absolute shit as a President.

However you want to rank them. I sort of applied both. 

• Like 1

Ranking based on who I think would be the best President, regardless of electability.

1.  Pete Buttigieg

2. Hillary Clinton

3. Bernie Sanders

4. Elizabeth Warren

5. Cory Booker

6. Joe Biden

7. Raphael Warnock (Admittedly I don't know a ton about him)

8. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

9. Gretchen Whitmer (Don't know a ton about her)

10. Kamala Harris 

11. Gavin Newsom (Don't know a ton about him)

12. Mitt Romney

13. Larry Hogan

14. Tim Scott

15. Rand Paul

16. Tom Cotton (Don't know a ton about him)

17.  Donald Trump (Because his stunning levels of incompetence hold him back from achieving true evil, unlike those I rank below him)

18.  Ted Cruz

19. Mike Pence

20.  Marjorie Taylor Greene

21. Ron DeSantis

• Like 1

I'm gonna base this off of who I think would perform better than one another as President. Strictly in terms of doing their duty and running the country, and keeping everything afloat and well so to speak. Biden and Kamala are subject to change but anybody above them is somebody, even if I may not like them... is someone who I think would be a lot better off. 

--- Good Tier ---

1. Mitt Romney

2. Larry Hogan 

3. Tim Scott

4. Mike Pence 

5. Hillary Clinton 

--- Decent Enough to Kinda Bad Tier ---

6.  Tom Cotton

7. Raphael Warnock

8. Gretchen Whitmer

9. Cory Booker

10. Pete Buttigieg

11. Ted Cruz

--- Shit Tier ---

12. Joe Biden - > (Subject to change).

13. Gavin Newsom

14. Kamala Harris- > (Also subject to change).

15. Rand Paul

--- Hell Nah Tier ---

16. Ron Desantis 

17. Elizabeth Warren

18. Bernie Sanders

19. AOC

--- Never set foot near the WH tier ---

20. Donald Trump

21. MTG

• Like 1
  • Based 1

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

I took this question as just best suited for the moment, not taking into account electoral considerations, breaking them into discrete tiers:

People I think have the potential to meet the moment:
1. Mitt Romney
2. Larry Hogan
3. Gretchen Whitmer
4. Tim Scott
5. Mike Pence

People I think would do fine in this environment:
6. Ron DeSantis
7. Pete Buttigieg
8. Raphael Warnock
9. Cory Booker
10. Tom Cotton

People I think would do fine in a different environment, but would be ill-served in the current moment:
11. Hillary Clinton
12. Elizabeth Warren
13. Gavin Newsom
14. Joe Biden
15. Kamala Harris

People I would like to see go away, ideally forever:
16. Bernie Sanders
17. Ted Cruz
18. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
19. Rand Paul
20. Donald Trump
21. Marjorie Taylor Greene

Mostly awesome people:

Tom Cotton

Tim Scott

Ted Cruz

Ron DeSantis

Ok, but not perfect:

Rand Paul

If forced to vote for:

Mike Pence

Mitt Romney

Larry Hogan

Donald Trump

Kind of honorable opposition these days:

Cory Booker

Gavin Newsom

So bad, they should quit politics:

Hillary Clinton

Joe Biden

Pete Buttigieg

Raphael Warnock

Gretchen Whitmer

Kamala Harris

Even worse:

Elizabeth Warren

Bernie Sanders

Complete lunatics, among the saddest epitome of politics nowadays:

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

• Based 1

The groupings are really confusing. Was the question who you agreed with politically, who is a good person, or who would be an effective president in 2025? I'm operating with the assumption we're looking for an effective president and try not to let my political preference get in the way.

1. Hillary Clinton

2. Larry Hogan

3. Pete Buttigieg

4. Mitt Romney

5. Joe Biden

6. Tim Scott

7. Elizabeth Warren

8. Mike Pence

9. Gretchen Whitmer

10. Gavin Newsom

12. Kamala Harris

13. Cory Booker

14. Raphael Warnock

15.  Bernie Sanders

16. Rand Paul

17. Tie: (Any of these appear unable or unwilling to lead in a collaborative manner)

Ted Cruz

Tom Cotton

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Donald Trump

Ron DeSantis 

15 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

The groupings are really confusing. Was the question who you agreed with politically, who is a good person, or who would be an effective president in 2025? I'm operating with the assumption we're looking for an effective president and try not to let my political preference get in the way.

1. Hillary Clinton

2. Larry Hogan

3. Pete Buttigieg

4. Mitt Romney

5. Joe Biden

6. Tim Scott

7. Elizabeth Warren

8. Mike Pence

9. Gretchen Whitmer

10. Gavin Newsom

12. Kamala Harris

13. Cory Booker

14. Raphael Warnock

15.  Bernie Sanders

16. Rand Paul

17. Tie: (Any of these appear unable or unwilling to lead in a collaborative manner)

Ted Cruz

Tom Cotton

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Donald Trump

Ron DeSantis 

I left the instructions kind of vague on purpose. For me, likely effectiveness, policy, and electability are kind of all pooled together in my response. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

The groupings are really confusing.

You could read my list without the groupings as well. I did them just for fun and to point out my different feelings about the candidates more clearly. Nonetheless I tried to rank the people within the groups as well, so if you erase them you'll still get the same list.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

Why the DeSantis hate?

Can't speak for others, but for me it's the "my way or the highway" mentality he's brought to Florida. He was elected to serve as governor, not emperor.  Leading requires compromise in some form or fashion, and he appears to be inflexible. He even fights against a republican legislature because they don't go far or far enough.  I think AOC and much of the squad act the same, especially in their calls to overextend executive power.

19 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Why the DeSantis hate?

The first 2-3 years of DeSantis as Governor were not bad. He got things done, and I didn't mind him. He could even be bipartisan. Recently though he's been wading into culture war issues way too much for me. And I don't think that's proper leadership. At least he isn't Trump though. 

The Culture War is a distraction from real issues. DeSantis is only exploiting it for support among Trump folks, while he's able to unite a lot of anti-trumpers with him (even if he is silent on that front.) Nevertheless, he has traded in being a normal, good conservative governor for another Fox News, culture warrior... boy wonder. 

Edited by Pringles
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Pringles said:

The first 2-3 years of DeSantis as Governor were not bad. He got things done, and I didn't mind him. He could even be bipartisan. Recently though he's been wading into culture war issues way too much for me. And I don't think that's proper leadership. At least he isn't Trump though. 

The Culture War is a distraction from real issues. DeSantis is only exploiting it for support among Trump folks, while he's able to unite a lot of anti-trumpers with him (even if he is silent on that front.) Nevertheless, he has traded in being a normal, good conservative governor for another Fox News, culture warrior... boy wonder. 

I largely agree, but I do think he has quite a bit of potential as President. He's been able to work with the legislature on priorities large and small, and quickly, and while I think his approach lately has been too culture war heavy, he retains a 53% approval rating in a state as divided and difficult to govern as Florida, according to Morning Consult. I think he's been pretty savvy about surveying the political landscape and serving his constituents in a way that if he replicates at the federal level, which I think he would, he would emulate the first couple years of his governorship more than the last year or so. He's not my first choice in 2024, but if he is the GOP nominee, I anticipate that I would support him enthusiastically. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

I largely agree, but I do think he has quite a bit of potential as President. He's been able to work with the legislature on priorities large and small, and quickly, and while I think his approach lately has been too culture war heavy, he retains a 53% approval rating in a state as divided and difficult to govern as Florida, according to Morning Consult. I think he's been pretty savvy about surveying the political landscape and serving his constituents in a way that if he replicates at the federal level, which I think he would, he would emulate the first couple years of his governorship more than the last year or so. He's not my first choice in 2024, but if he is the GOP nominee, I anticipate that I would support him enthusiastically. 

Yeah. I would cautiously support him. But anybody except Trump is welcome at this point for me so... 😛 (And MTG obviously since she's in the list.)

The fact he can go heavy on the culture war and retain popularity is an interesting statement. For Florida especially. But we'll see what the future holds I suppose. 

• Based 1