The Political Lounge

AMPU Things for Biden Presidency

This is a thread for things that have occurred during the Biden Presidency that need to be in the game. 

What events, legislation, presidential actions, governor actions, SC Cases, scripted events, etc. define his presidency? 

Events: General COVID events; Inflation; 

Legislation: John Lewis Voting Rights Act; For the People Act; Juneteenth Holiday

Presidential Actions: Vaccine mandate for all workers; ban on importing Russian oil

Governor Actions: Ban/implement vaccine mandate; Mask mandates; 

SCOTUS: Dobbs; Bruen (gun case); Carson v Makin (school choice at religious schools); NFIB v OSHA (federal vaccine mandate)

Scipted Events: Afghanistan Withdrawal; Russian invasion of Ukraine

Edited by jvikings1

• vcczar changed the title to AMPU Things for Biden Presidency

Gubernatorial action to defund/increase funding for police departments.

Recognizing the Armenian genocide

Generally you could find valuable information here: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Joe_Biden 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Joe_Biden_presidency

• 1 month later...

According to a news article I read to today, it seems school corporal punishment is discussed again. The news was that a city in Missouri reintroduces it although it seems about half of the states have no absolute laws against it. This is based on the 1977 Supreme Court case Ingraham v. Wright (which could have outlawed it altogether based on the 8th amendment).

Only IA and NJ ban corporal punishment (against children?) privately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States#Current_state_law_as_of_2019

Edited by ConservativeElector2

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

According to a news article I read to today, it seems school corporal punishment is discussed again. The news was that a city in Missouri reintroduces it although it seems about half of the states have no absolute laws against it. This is based on the 1977 Supreme Court case Ingraham v. Wright (which could have outlawed it altogether based on the 8th amendment).

Only IA and NJ ban corporal punishment (against children?) privately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States#Current_state_law_as_of_2019

I'll consider this when it has some front page media presence on a major news website. 95% of voters aren't even going to know this is being discussed.

39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'll consider this when it has some front page media presence on a major news website. 95% of voters aren't even going to know this is being discussed.

Yeah, I would see a doable Gov action - maybe two if we look at the private thing too - as well as adding the aformentioned SC case to handle the issue.

It's weird because I actually read first about it on an Austrian news website, which wrote something like "School district in Missouri reintroduces corporal punishment for school children" in one of their first headlines today. Not sure how American websites reacted to it. Maybe I'll look on this.

20 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yeah, I would see a doable Gov action - maybe two if we look at the private thing too - as well as adding the aformentioned SC case to handle the issue.

It's weird because I actually read first about it on an Austrian news website, which wrote something like "School district in Missouri reintroduces corporal punishment for school children" in one of their first headlines today. Not sure how American websites reacted to it. Maybe I'll look on this.

As a Missouri resident, they haven't. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...