The Political Lounge

Unstable America Poll

vcczar

Democracy/Civil War Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. When thinking about democracy in the United States these days, do you believe

• There is a serious threat to our democracy
    • There may be a threat to our democracy, but it is not serious.
    • There is no threat to our democracy.
  2. 2. How important do you think it is for the United States to remain a democracy?

• Not important
    • Somewhat important
    • Very important
    • Extremely important
  3. 3. Having a strong leader for America is more important than having a democracy.

• Do not agree
    • Somewhat agree
    • Strongly agree
    • Very strongly agree
  4. 4. If elected leaders will not protect American democracy, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires taking violent actions

• Do not agree
    • Somewhat agree
    • Strongly agree
    • Very strongly agree
  5. 5. In the next few years, there will be civil war in the United States.

• Do not agree
    • Somewhat agree
    • Strongly agree
    • Very strongly agree
  6. 6. The 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump, and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president

• Do not agree
    • Somewhat agree
    • Strongly agree
    • Very strongly agree
  7. 7. Which support/vote pattern best follows how you supported/voted in 2016, 2020, and will likely vote in 2024, assuming Biden and Trump are nominees again.

• Clinton-Biden-Biden
    • Clinton-Biden-Trump
    • Clinton-Trump-Biden
    • Trump-Biden-Biden
    • Trump-Trump-Biden
    • Trump-Biden-Trump
    • Clinton-Trump-Trump
    • Trump-Trump-Trump
    • I refused to support a major party nominee in 2016 and/or 2020, and/or will refuse to support one in 2024.

I will say, the third question about whether a strong leader is preferable to a democracy, it reminds me of this book I read called Escape From Freedom by Erich Fromm. He was a German-born Jewish sociologist who lived through the Holocaust and wrote this book on how the gridlock and sclerotic nature of liberal democracies will often engender a yearning among some subset of the electorate for totalitarianism and authoritarianism, thereby enabling fascism. It was a really interesting book and one I'd recommend because it's unfortunately quite relevant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

This is based on this poll which just made the headlines: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.15.22277693v1.full.pdf

Apparently, half of American's think a Civil War will happen soon. 

Half of America is an idiot.  Most people don't care enough to get up off their couch.  The "Civil War" is limited entirely to fights on social media.

Are you willing to literally kill other Americans for your beliefs?  Do you know a single person who would literally kill other Americans for their beliefs? 

Even among the military Veterans I served with who were willing to do what had to be done overseas, literally none of them would kill a fellow American who wasn't actively trying to kill them first.  

There will never be another civil war in the US.  

• Agree 4

Feedback, on the poll:  It's strange to have three kinds of agree but only one kind of disagree.

Usually you'd have something like strongly agree - agree -  kind of agree - neutral - kind of disagree - disagree - strongly disagree.  Or just agree - neutral - disagree.  There's not much value in counting "strongly agree" if you don't have "strongly disagree" data to compare it to.

• Agree 1

• vcczar changed the title to Unstable America Poll
17 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Feedback, on the poll:  It's strange to have three kinds of agree but only one kind of disagree.

Usually you'd have something like strongly agree - agree -  kind of agree - neutral - kind of disagree - disagree - strongly disagree.  Or just agree - neutral - disagree.  There's not much value in counting "strongly agree" if you don't have "strongly disagree" data to compare it to.

I strongly agree. 

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

20 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Half of America is an idiot.  Most people don't care enough to get up off their couch.  The "Civil War" is limited entirely to fights on social media.

If there is one benefit to social media, it's that we "battle out" what might've been a civil war from our phones as we lie in bed or on the couch. 😛 

1 hour ago, Pringles said:

jesse, what the hell are you talking about. - Album on Imgur

image.png.d35cac5bfae69ffe902f247131249d39.png

If you have a question about my vote, feel free to ask me for clarification 😉 

And I for one do not agree with changing election laws shortly before an election no matter the circumstances - if people are too scared to go to the polls it's their decision (and obviously their fault). Furthermore one paper ballot + voter ID seems the most reasonable voting option to me. No country needs things like mail-in voting or electronic voting. 

Btw my opposition to these starting long before Trump.

Edited by ConservativeElector2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

3 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

And I for one do not agree with changing election laws shortly before an election no matter the circumstances - if people are too scared to go to the polls it's their decision (and obviously their fault). Furthermore one paper ballot + voter ID seems the most reasonable voting option to me. No country needs things like mail-in voting or electronic voting. 

Mail-in voting has been an option before. Washington state and a few others have used it almost exclusively for years. That doesn't make an election stolen or fraudulent, especially since states have used it before 2020. There have been no instances of fraud of mail ballots proven. Just because it's the 'most reasonable' to you doesn't make it illegal or unfair to do it another way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1