The Political Lounge

The Grassroots Divide: A 1772 Two-Player Populist Showdown

Cal

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

RandolphCPU Ebenezer Hazard ditches crowded Pennsylvania for North Carolina.  Fails.  

No ideology shifts.

HancockCPU tries to convert RandolphCPU NC Gov. Richard Caswell.  Success!

RandolphCPU tries to convert HancockCPU NY Gov Samuel Adams.  Narrowly fails!  (Needed a 10 or lower, rolled an 11.)  

EllsworthCPU tries to convert PinckneyCPU Thomas McKean (who I think was stolen from Ellsworth in the first place.)  Fails.  

PinckneyCPU tries to convert FranklinCPU Henry Middleton.  Fails.  

Wrong thread 😛

• Haha 1

The Continental Congress of the British Colonies, 1772

The Delegates of the Colony of Connecticut
Seat 1: @Cal Samuel Huntington
Seat 2: @Cal Jonathan Trumbull Jr
Seat 3: RedConCPU William Williams

The Delegates of the Colony of Delaware 
Seat 1: @Cal George Read
Seat 2: RedProgCPU Thomas McKean

The Delegates of the Colony of Georgia
Seat 1: RedLibCPU Button Gwinnett
Seat 2: BlooTradCPU Edward Telfair

The Delegates of the Colony of Massachusetts
Seat 1: @Cal Benjamin Lincoln
Seat 2: RedLibCPU Artemas Ward

Seat 3: @Rezi Samuel Adams
Seat 4:  @Rezi Amos Singletary

The Delegates of the Colony of Maryland
Seat 1: @Cal Daniel Carroll
Seat 2: RedConCPU William Hindman
Seat 3: RedLibCPU Upton Sheredine

Seat 4: @Rezi Daniel Hiester 

The Delegates of the Colony of North Carolina
Seat 1: @Cal Alexander Martin
Seat 2: BlooConCPU Robert Howe
Seat 3: BlooTradCPU Timothy Bloodworth

The Delegates of the Colony of New Hampshire
Seat 1: RedProgCPU Abiel Foster
Seat 2: BlooTradCPU Josiah Bartlett

The Delegates of the Colony of New Jersey
Seat 1: RedModCPU Philemon Dickinson
Seat 2: BlooLibCPU Lambert Cadwalader
Seat 3: @Rezi Elias Boudinot

The Delegates of the Colony of New York
Seat 1: @Cal Philip Schuyler
Seat 2:  @Cal Isaac Roosevelt I

Seat 3: BlooTradCPU William Floyd

The Delegates of the Colony of Pennsylvania
Seat 1: @Cal Thomas Fitzsimons
Seat 2: RedConCPU Benjamin Franklin

Seat 3: BlooConCPU John Dickinson
Seat 4: BlooConCPU William Maclay

The Delegates of the Colony of Rhode Island
Seat 1: RedConCPU Thomas Tillinghast
Seat 2: RedModCPU William Bradford

The Delegates of the Colony of South Carolina
Seat 1: @Cal Henry Laurens
Seat 2: RedConCPU John Rutledge
Seat 3: RedConCPU Ralph Izard

The Delegates of the Colony of Virginia
Seat 1: BlooTradCPU Thomas Jefferson
Seat 2: BlooConCPU William Grayson
Seat 3: BlooModCPU Richard Henry Lee
Seat 4: @Rezi Carter Braxton

• Like 2
  • Based 1

1772 Continental Congress: Legislative Ability Gains

@Cal Samuel Huntington. (2 --> 3)
@Cal George Read. (1 --> 2)
@Cal Phillip Schuyler. (2 --> 3)

@Rezi Samuel Adams. (2 --> 3)
@Rezi Amos Singletary. (1 --> 2) 

BlooTradCPU Timothy Bloodworth. (2 --> 3)

BlooConCPU William Maclay. (2 --> 3)
BlooConCPU WIlliam Grayson. (2 --> 3)

HHCal

Relocations:

Francis Dana MA --> Georgia
William Cushing MA --> Georgia
Caleb Strong MA --> New Jersey
Theodore Sedgewick MA --> New Jersey

Henry Lee II VA --> Georgia
James Wood VA --> North Carolina

Ideologies: 

If successful in their relocations, Henry Lee II, Francis Dana, and William Cushing will all go C --> T

Conversions

Faction Leader Benedict Arnold will attempt to steal Continental Congressman Benjamin Franklin.

Edited by Cal

Rezi:

Relocations:

• John Hiester PA -> MD
  • John Smilie PA -> RI

• George Bryan PA -> RI

No ideology changes

Samuel Adams will attempt to convert the pliable  Samuel Ashe BlooConCPU

BlooLibCPU:

No relocations

BlooModCPU:

No relocations

Ideology

• Samuel Allyne Otis Mod -> Cons
  • John Hanson Mod -> Cons
  • Jeremiah Van Rennselaer Cons -> Mod
  • Peyton Randolph Mod -> Cons
  • Horatio Gates Mod -> Cons

BlooConCPU:

No relocations

BlooTradCPU:

No relocations

19 hours ago, Cal said:

HHCal

Relocations:

Francis Dana MA --> Georgia FAILS
William Cushing MA --> Georgia SUCCEEDS
Caleb Strong MA --> New Jersey FAILS
Theodore Sedgewick MA --> New Jersey FAILS

Henry Lee II VA --> Georgia FAILS
James Wood VA --> North Carolina FAILS

Ideologies: 

If successful in their relocations, Henry Lee II, Francis Dana, and William Cushing will all go C --> T FAILS, Cushing gains flipflopper

Conversions

Faction Leader Benedict Arnold will attempt to steal Continental Congressman Benjamin Franklin.  FAILS

RedProgCPU
James Armstrong M --> L SUCCEEDS
John Houston M --> L FAILS
Friedrich W von Steuben M --> L SUCCEEDS, Gains Flipflopper and Pliable
George Ross M --> L FAILS
Henry Marchant M --> L FAILS, Gains Flipflopper and Pliable

2 hours ago, Rezi said:

Rezi:

Relocations:

• John Hiester PA -> MD SUCCEEDS
  • John Smilie PA -> RI FAILS

• George Bryan PA -> RI FAILS

No ideology changes

Samuel Adams will attempt to convert the pliable  Samuel Ashe BlooConCPU SUCCEEDS (needed 10 or lower, got a 9).

Ideology

• Samuel Allyne Otis Mod -> Cons FAILS, gains flipflopper
  • John Hanson Mod -> Cons SUCCEEDS, gains flipflopper and pliable
  • Jeremiah Van Rennselaer Cons -> Mod FAILS, gains flipflopper
  • Peyton Randolph Mod -> Cons SUCCEEDS
  • Horatio Gates Mod -> Cons SUCCEEDS

Faction Personalities

HHCal -- Conservatives, Traditionalists

RedConCPU -- Conservatives

RedModCPU -- Moderates

RedLibCPU --Moderates

RedProgCPU -- Moderates, Liberals

BlueTradCPU -- Conservatives, Traditionalists, RW Populists, RW Activists, Expansionists

BlueConCPU --Moderates, 

BlueModCPU -- Moderates

BlueLibCPU -- Moderates

Rezi -- Progressives, LW Activists

No lobbies are yet active, per the rules.

RedConCPU lost the moderate card or maybe shifted Sherman towards the moderates (or I made a mistake in the first place) but all other faction leaders remain the same. RedConCPU selects Career Track Charles Coatesworth Pinckney to be the new faction leader. 

46 minutes ago, Cal said:

RedConCPU lost the moderate card or maybe shifted Sherman towards the moderates (or I made a mistake in the first place) but all other faction leaders remain the same. RedConCPU selects Career Track Charles Coatesworth Pinckney to be the new faction leader. 

This happened a lot in my 1772 run as well (career track guys ending up as faction leader).  I wonder if it's fine to leave as is, or if we should create a rule that if a career track guy does somehow end up as faction leader, they have to resign their career track (receiving the rewards they've earned from the track so far but not getting to keep advancing in the track)?

15 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

This happened a lot in my 1772 run as well (career track guys ending up as faction leader).  I wonder if it's fine to leave as is, or if we should create a rule that if a career track guy does somehow end up as faction leader, they have to resign their career track (receiving the rewards they've earned from the track so far but not getting to keep advancing in the track)?

I agree with this — if selected as faction leader the statesman should graduate immediately.

BlooTradCPU Thomas Jefferson loses obscure, gains passive.

BlooConCPU John Hancock gains unlikable

BlooModCPU George Clinton gains +1 command and +1 gov

BlooLibCPU John Milton gains iron fist.

Rezi Samuel Adams sees no gains.

Cal Benedict Arnold gains +1 gov.

RedConCPU Charles Coatesworth Pinckney gains leadership and +1 legis.

RedModCPU George Washington sees no gains.

RedLibCPU James Wilson gains leadership, +1 legis and manipulative.

RedProgCPU Thomas McKean gains +1 legis

• Like 1

FIRST CONTINENTAL CONGRESS

President: Benjamin Lincoln @Cal

Economic:

1. Samuel Huntington @Cal

2. Jonathan Trumbell Jr. @Cal

3. George Read @Cal

4. Daniel Carrol @Cal 5.

Alexander Martin @Cal

6. Phillip Schuyler @Cal

7. Thomas Fitzsimons @Cal

8. Henry Laurens @Cal

9. Robert Howe BlooConCPU

Domestic:

1. Samuel Adams @Rezi

2. Amos Singletary @Rezi

3. Daniel Hiester @Rezi

4. Elias Boudinot @Rezi

5. Carter Braxton @Rezi

6. Thomas McKean RedProgCPU

7. Abiel Foster RedProgCPU

8. Philemon Dickenson RedModCPU

9. John Dickenson BlooConCPU

Foreign Affairs:

1. William Bradford RedModCPU

2. Button Gwinnet RedLibCPU

3. Artemis Ward RedLibCPU

4. Upton Sheredine RedLibCPU

5. William Williams RedConCPU

6. William Hindman RedConCPU

7. Benjamin Franklin RedConCPU

8. Thomas Tillinghast RedConCPU

9. William Maclay BlooConCPU

Judicial:

1. John Rutledge RedConCPU

2. Ralph Izard RedConCPU

3. Timothy Bloodworth BlooTradCPU

4. Josiah Bartlett BlooTrad CPU

5. William Floyd BlooTradCPU

6. Thomas Jefferson BlooTradCPU

7. Richard Henry Lee BlooModCPU

8. Lambert Cadwalader BlooLibCPU

9. William Grayson BlooConCPU 

1774-1776 GENERAL EVENTS

Scandalous President:  President, they know about what we've been up to behind closed doors. The people know, the politicians, our allies...they all know. This isn't going to go away, so you need to consider your options here.

Cal Benjamin Lincoln gains -1 in all future elections and the controversial trait.

Abilities increase (The Hiester event!):  I had the same thought as you did. I completely forgot Richard Adams Jr even existed. Now Richard Adams Jr has got the makings of a true power-player.

RedModCPU Richard Adams Jr gains +1 in every ability!

Among the People  Our supporters are really taking a liking to Robert R Livingston . Our faction might want to put his likability to some good use. Let's see if it translates to votes.

BlooModCPU Robert R Livingston gains likable

A Politician of Their Word:  Some voters may find something comforting in the growing predictability of Arthur Fenner. However, this is going to make Arthur Fenner easy prey when working with more wiley politicians.

Rezi Arthur Fenner gains predictable.

Tired of all the fighting: Looks like John Barry is tired of partisanship, even in a great cause. John Barry has been seen joking around with other factions--and even the other party--more often. John Barry staff tells us that John Barry wants to bring the country together.

BlooConCPU  John Barry gains harmonious

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I thought the rules stated that a Faction Leader cannot be in the career track.    It was like 2nd or 3rd bullet point.  Did that change?

the way I read it was they would have to already been removed from the track to be considered in this stage.   So you could only choose from the active people.    If I missed that rule change, then never mind - but the rule made sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vols21 said:

I thought the rules stated that a Faction Leader cannot be in the career track.    It was like 2nd or 3rd bullet point.  Did that change?

the way I read it was they would have to already been removed from the track to be considered in this stage.   So you could only choose from the active people.    If I missed that rule change, then never mind - but the rule made sense to me.

Nope, you’re absolutely right that career track can’t be a faction leader...unless nobody else is eligible even with most other restrictions removed.  And in the early game when 99% of politicians begin as obscure, having zero people eligible is in fact a common enough occurrence.  At which point the only requirement is that they have the right ideology.

1774-1776 SCRIPTED EVENTS

Declaration of Resolves:  Members of the Continental Congress are increasingly supporting a Declaration of Resolves to object to the Intolerable Acts and to outline a Colonial Bill of Rights.

Lexington and Concord:  British troops have been miraculously repulsed by volunteer American colonists known as "minute men." If not for being alerted by the daring rides of Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott, our troops might have been caught off guard. There is no doubt the British Regulars will be tougher next time. We might need to consider sending troops from other colonies to aid our friends in Massachusetts.

Military-Industrial Lobby and Big Agriculture Lobby is activated; Activates Rev War during Military Phase; Create Continental Army and Create Continental Navy are highlighted at upcoming Proposal Phase and must be selected. The Revolutionary War has begun!

Proprieter of Pennsylvania Sides with the British:  Thomas Penn, proprieter of Pennsylvania, surprises no one has he declares his support for the Crown. He has lived in England for quite some time.

Thomas Penn is retired from the game (if he was in at all).

Conciliatory Resolution:  Word has spread that the British Parliament has issues a Concilliatory Resolution to the various colonial governments in an effort to resolve the crisis. However, they bypassed our Continental Congress, believing it to be an illegal government institution. Clearly, they wish to divide the colonies, but the British government does wish to relax some of the taxation we bear in exchange for our loyalty.

William Franklin Proclaims Support for the Revolution:  Initially loyal to the Crown, William Franklin, the son of Benjamin Franklin, has joined our cause!

William Franklin is now active as playable.

Common Sense:  An anonymous pamphlet titled Common Sense is advocating American Independence from Great Britain. We know the author to be Thomas Paine, currently of Philadelphia New York City. Within days, the pamplet has been read in taverns and meeting places throughout the colonies!

Prompts Lee's Resolution immediately afterward if it has not yet occurred (I don't see Lee's resolution in the scripted events); Thomas Paine gains celebrity

Virginia Declaration of Rights:  George Mason of Virginia is credited with crafting a Declaration of Right for the people of Virginia. The right to reform or abolish inadequate government is particularly interesting.

Action to President Lincoln to take action on several of these (I will likely do this, with Cal's permission).

American Spy Nathan Hale Hanged by the British:  One of our spies, Nathan Hale, died a hero. Shortly before his hanging he was reported as saying, "I only regret that I have but one death to lose for my country"

@MrPotatoTedI don't know if it's a rule change that I wasn't aware of, but I can't find the Declaration of Independence or Lee's resolution in scripted events. Am I just missing these somewhere?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Declaration of Resolves:  Members of the Continental Congress are increasingly supporting a Declaration of Resolves to object to the Intolerable Acts and to outline a Colonial Bill of Rights.

Lexington and Concord:  British troops have been miraculously repulsed by volunteer American colonists known as "minute men." If not for being alerted by the daring rides of Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott, our troops might have been caught off guard. There is no doubt the British Regulars will be tougher next time. We might need to consider sending troops from other colonies to aid our friends in Massachusetts.

Military-Industrial Lobby and Big Agriculture Lobby is activated; Activates Rev War during Military Phase; Create Continental Army and Create Continental Navy are highlighted at upcoming Proposal Phase and must be selected. The Revolutionary War has begun!

Proprieter of Pennsylvania Sides with the British:  Thomas Penn, proprieter of Pennsylvania, surprises no one has he declares his support for the Crown. He has lived in England for quite some time.

Thomas Penn is retired from the game (if he was in at all).

Conciliatory Resolution:  Word has spread that the British Parliament has issues a Concilliatory Resolution to the various colonial governments in an effort to resolve the crisis. However, they bypassed our Continental Congress, believing it to be an illegal government institution. Clearly, they wish to divide the colonies, but the British government does wish to relax some of the taxation we bear in exchange for our loyalty.

William Franklin Proclaims Support for the Revolution:  Initially loyal to the Crown, William Franklin, the son of Benjamin Franklin, has joined our cause!

Common Sense:  An anonymous pamphlet titled Common Sense is advocating American Independence from Great Britain. We know the author to be Thomas Paine, currently of Philadelphia New York City. Within days, the pamplet has been read in taverns and meeting places throughout the colonies!

Prompts Lee's Resolution immediately afterward if it has not yet occurred (I don't see Lee's resolution in the scripted events); Thomas Paine gains celebrity

Virginia Declaration of Rights:  George Mason of Virginia is credited with crafting a Declaration of Right for the people of Virginia. The right to reform or abolish inadequate government is particularly interesting.

Action to President Lincoln to take action on several of these (I will likely do this, with Cal's permission).

American Spy Nathan Hale Hanged by the British:  One of our spies, Nathan Hale, died a hero. Shortly before his hanging he was reported as saying, "I only regret that I have but one death to lose for my country"

@MrPotatoTedI don't know if it's a rule change that I wasn't aware of, but I can't find the Declaration of Independence or Lee's resolution in scripted events. Am I just missing these somewhere?

I know Lee’s Resolution is a legislative proposal. Declaration of Independence might be too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

President Lincoln takes action A:  Let us state our grievances to the world and our intention to boycott British goods if the Intolerable Acts are not repealed.

French Relations +1

Rezi: +100

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

President Lincoln take action A:  We must come to the aid of our sister colony Massachusetts (Continental Army proposal worth double pts). 

No changes.

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

President Lincoln takes action A:  This is pittance for the amount of blood that's been shed. Reject it.

No changes.

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

William Franklin is added to the 1776 Draft.

Cal: +50

BlooTradCPU: +50

Domestic Stability moves +1! (This was only a 5% chance, we rolled a 3).

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

Prompts Lee's Resolution immediately afterward if it has not yet occurred; Thomas Paine gains celebrity

President Lincoln chooses option A:  This glorious pamphlet is catching on like wildfire! "Why does an island rule a continent" indeed! Encourage publication of Mr. Paine's Common Sense.

1 hour ago, Rezi said:

George Mason loses obscure.

President Lincoln choose option A:  Virginia's sentiments should be the sentiments of the entire colonies.

BlooTradCPU: +150

BlooModCPU: +50

BlooConCPU: +50

Edited by Rezi

On 8/4/2022 at 11:01 PM, Rezi said:

FIRST CONTINENTAL CONGRESS

President: Benjamin Lincoln @Cal

Economic:

1. Samuel Huntington @Cal (Chair) TRADE

2. John Rutledge RedConCPU WELFARE

3. George Read @Cal WELFARE