The Political Lounge

Presidents by Crisis Management

vcczar

This ranking isolates crisis-level situations and then rates their handling of these situations by "complete, relatively error-free resolution," "Complete, but imperfect resolution," "Unresolved crisis but put handles it about as well as any president could," "Disastrous handling of a crisis." Presidents were docked points if they didn't face a crisis. Presidents that faced many crises had the greatest opportunities for gaining/losing points:

Here is the ranking (many presidents are actually tied):

1. Lincoln
  2. FDR
  3. Truman
  4. Washington
  5. Jackson
  6. T Roosevelt
  7. Polk
  8. Wilson
  9. Eisenhower
  10. Reagan
  11. J Adams
  12. Jefferson
  13. Nixon
  14. Obama
  15. Madison
  16. Monroe
  17. McKinley
  18. Biden **shouldn't count** (tied with next three)
  19. Tyler
  20. GHW Bush
  21. JFK 
  22. Garfield **shouldn't count** (tied with next seven)
  23. Cleveland, 1st term
  24. Cleveland, 2nd term
  25. WH Harrison **shouldn't count**
  26. B Harrison
  27. Taft
  28. JQ Adams
  29. Arthur
  30. Coolidge
  31. Van Buren (tied with next 3)
  32. Taylor
  33. Fillmore
  34. Clinton
  35. Ford
  36. Hayes
  37. Grant
  38. LBJ
  39. Harding
  40. Carter
  41. A Johnson
  42. GW Bush
  43. Trump
  44. Hoover
  45. Pierce
  46. Buchanan

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

This ranking isolates crisis-level situations and then rates their handling of these situations by "complete, relatively error-free resolution," "Complete, but imperfect resolution," "Unresolved crisis but put handles it about as well as any president could," "Disastrous handling of a crisis." Presidents were docked points if they didn't face a crisis. Presidents that faced many crises had the greatest opportunities for gaining/losing points:

Here is the ranking (many presidents are actually tied):

1. Lincoln
  2. FDR
  3. Truman
  4. Washington
  5. Jackson
  6. T Roosevelt
  7. Polk
  8. Wilson
  9. Eisenhower
  10. Reagan
  11. J Adams
  12. Jefferson
  13. Nixon
  14. Obama
  15. Madison
  16. Monroe
  17. McKinley
  18. Biden **shouldn't count** (tied with next three)
  19. Tyler
  20. GHW Bush
  21. JFK 
  22. Garfield **shouldn't count** (tied with next seven)
  23. Cleveland, 1st term
  24. Cleveland, 2nd term
  25. WH Harrison **shouldn't count**
  26. B Harrison
  27. Taft
  28. JQ Adams
  29. Arthur
  30. Coolidge
  31. Van Buren (tied with next 3)
  32. Taylor
  33. Fillmore
  34. Clinton
  35. Ford
  36. Hayes
  37. Grant
  38. LBJ
  39. Harding
  40. Carter
  41. A Johnson
  42. GW Bush
  43. Trump
  44. Hoover
  45. Pierce
  46. Buchanan

Doin' my boy W dirty, as usual.  Haha. ;c)

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Doin' my boy W dirty, as usual.  Haha. ;c)

I'm just putting down general consensus. He didn't resolve the Great Recession. He gets credit for a quick military stage victory in Iraq, but loses points for unresolved occupation which has often been compared to Vietnam. He gets credit for a quick response to terrorism, but the War on Terror is unresolved. His response to Hurricane Katrina, which was poor enough to become a metaphor for bad responses natural disasters is also included. 

I can understand liking him outside of this, but his record is there. Possibly it can change in a few years, but we've also had 13 years to analyze his presidency. 

The problem with all these rankings is the assumption that a president handling the circumstances they got well or poorly means they would have also handled another president's equally well or poorly.  This particular rating is especially useless in that regard.  What Jimmy Carter faced was so completely different from what Thomas Jefferson faced that comparing them is impossible.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pilight said:

The problem with all these rankings is the assumption that a president handling the circumstances they got well or poorly means they would have also handled another president's equally well or poorly.  This particular rating is especially useless in that regard.  What Jimmy Carter faced was so completely different from what Thomas Jefferson faced that comparing them is impossible.

The way I try to get around that is that I weigh the crises differently. Lincoln gets more points for facing a Civil War than Carter gets for handling all his crises combined. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

The way I try to get around that is that I weigh the crises differently. Lincoln gets more points for facing a Civil War than Carter gets for handling all his crises combined. 

That still doesn't mean Lincoln would have handled Carter's circumstances well

1 hour ago, pilight said:

That still doesn't mean Lincoln would have handled Carter's circumstances well

That's true. Who knows if Obama or Trump would have handled the Civil War even better than Lincoln did. Nevertheless, just about every president faced a major crises and they either rose to the occasion or did not. I would assume those that seemed to meet their issues and handle them well would likely have performed well in about any era. I can't see Lincoln, for instance, fumbling in another time. I can't see Buchanan flourishing in a crisis during another time.