The Political Lounge

Demings and Giuliani running for office

vcczar

Demings and Giuliani running  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best shot at winning their race?

• US Rep. Val Demings, and finalist to be Biden's VP, will defeat Sen. Marco Rubio to become US Senator for FL
    • Andrew Giuliani, the 35-year-old son of Rudy Giuliani, will defeat Gov. Andrew Cuomo to become Governor of NY

While I really doubt either of them will win their respective elections, I'm willing to bet that Demings' will at least win the primary, but I can't say the same for Andy Giuliani.

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

While I really doubt either of them will win their respective elections, I'm willing to bet that Demings' will at least win the primary, but I can't say the same for Andy Giuliani.

Good point. There are already a Representative and the 2014 gubernatorial nominee running. Other somewhat big names might still be on the fence as well, so I don't think Giuliani is the most likely nominee at all.

13 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Had Dad Giuliani not become dubious after the 9/11 hype, his son could expect being a shoo-in for the election against Cuomo.

It would still be an upset for him to win. He possibly could in the 1990s and early 2000s if he were of age. You'd have to have 25% of Democrats voting for Giuliani for him to beat Cuomo in 2021, and that's not going to happen, even if his dad wasn't dubious. A big issue is that he's only 35 and NYers value experience in a governor. 

I'm confident neither of them will go on to beat their respective incumbents but Val has a larger chance than Andy. New York is unwinnable for Republicans unless George Pataki comes back. 

6 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I'm confident neither of them will go on to beat their respective incumbents but Val has a larger chance than Andy. New York is unwinnable for Republicans unless George Pataki comes back. 

Even then, I'm not sure Pataki would win in todays political climate. The Republican nominee would have to be a Phil Scott, or Charlie Baker type, someone who's basically a Democrat, but labels themselves a Republican for some reason.

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

That's what I am waiting for. However, I am not even sure if Pataki can win the primary in today's political atmosphere.

It's sad but true. I'd love for him to come back. I want him to come back sooo baddddd.

North East needs more Republican Governors!

27 minutes ago, Pringles said:

It's sad but true. I'd love for him to come back. I want him to come back sooo baddddd.

North East needs more Republican Governors!

Yeah, I'd be fine with Charlie Bakers, Larry Hogans, and Phil Scotts. I wouldn't voted for them, but I wouldn't panic if they won. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I'd be fine with Charlie Bakers, Larry Hogans, and Phil Scotts. I wouldn't voted for them, but I wouldn't panic if they won. 

#Hoganite

Larry is really one of the best, if not the best Governor in the country right now. In my opinion at least. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

That's what I am waiting for. However, I am not even sure if Pataki can win the primary in today's political atmosphere.

I'm surprised you answered Giuliani then. I think it's a small chance Demings wins, but at least she is fighting in a battleground state as a relatively-known quantity and a good story. Giuliani is in a very minority party with a crackpot father with no real achievements of his own. 

• Haha 1

Well, a Democrat called Marion Barry won DC after going to jail, so it's not impossible for Cuomo to win re-election.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Running for office while incarcerated is legal in the U.S. (and has been done on a number of occasions - Eugene Debs in 1916, and THREE separate Peace and Justice Party Presidential Candidates, as well as Lyndon LaRouche's Primary challenge against Bill Clinton's incumbency in 1996, and one of of Barack Obama's Primary challengers likewise in 2012, among others), even though most States don't allow you to vote while incarcerated.

He ran after serving his sentence for perjury and drug use, Debs went because of conscientious opposition to the war, and LaRouche didn't gain much traction. Keith Russell Judd is quite unusual, though maybe those votes were anti-Obama rather than pro-Judd.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Running for office while incarcerated is legal in the U.S. (and has been done on a number of occasions - Eugene Debs in 1916, and THREE separate Peace and Justice Party Presidential Candidates, as well as Lyndon LaRouche's Primary challenge against Bill Clinton's incumbency in 1996, and one of of Barack Obama's Primary challengers likewise in 2012, among others), even though most States don't allow you to vote while incarcerated.

I may have misrepresented your point, as you may have misunderstood mine.

Edited by Timur

Wait, did I vote for the Cuomo option?! I thought I voted for the Demings option...:classic_wacko: