The Political Lounge

The Adventures of George and Martha Washington (and also the rest of USA) - A 1772 Singleplayer Experience

Lars

Revolutionary bidness 1776-1778

War started all kinds of awesome. Henry Knox and his squadron was sent to the Bahamas to raid the British and steal their gunpowder.

It was a difficult battle, but Knox won, earning all kinds of promotions. He's now at 5 military and has military leader. Unfortunately John Paul Jones hogged all the credit, so thats where the fun ended.

The war turned towards the ground. George Washington('s dice) blessed William Moultrie with the task of winning the siege of Boston. Despite being our best general, he failed a 56% chance of winning. However, if you fail once, you oughta fail twice. Moultrie caught a bad case of "incomptent" and was fired. A sad end to the career of a potential war hero.

The war carried on as the Brits counterattacked by marching guys down Long Island. George Washington personally took charge and obviously lost. Unlike Moultrie, he avoided any negative consequences though.

This was the end of the first turn on the American side of things. We need to win five more ground battles, but can afford 13 more losses. Naval is done and dusted.

Onwards then, to

The Invasion of Canada

John Paul Jones felt all kinds of cocky and announced a bold plan to invade a mostly landlocked country from the sea.

On Lake Champlain in Upstate New York, Esek Hopkins lost the battle that Benny Arnold lost in real life. Esek then also caught a bad case of "incompetent" and was fired.

Off the coast of Nova Scotia, Abraham Whipple proceeded to lose a battle to a bad Military Preperation roll. Along the way losing a point in military and the ability to become chief admiral leader.

Finally, John Paul himself had a go at fighting. The plan was simple: Land marines on a fishing village in Newfoundland.
Yes, the ever present Royal Navy means that the battle had a difficulty of "difficult". Yes, even if it had been easier, the roll wouldnt had been enough. No, John Paul suffered no bad consequences from this defeat.

The invasion of Canada failed miserably. Three battles, three defeats. We have to surrender this one.

When all is said and done, Washington and Jones continue on their respective posts. Knox is now a naval mastermind and arguably Benedict Arnold is now the second best captain in the colonies.

The Continental Congress of the 1776-78 turn

Democracy, naturally, is a mistake. For the second turn in a row, we fail to even propose Lee's Resolution that allows us to declare independence.

Willie Maclay was the only Blue team to suggest anything. His suggestion of declaring stuff was shot down by a super-moderate commitee. So we can safely ignore this.

What did make it to the floor was the following:

• Try to resolve Rev War Peacefully
  • Petition to the King to Repeal Intolerable Acts
  • Pay Willing Slaveholders to Convert their Slaves into Soldiers, Granting their Conscripted Slaves Freedom After the War
  • Send Official Proclamation Encouraging Foreign Soldiers to Join the Cause of Independence
  • Authorize Privateers to Fight British Navy

The latter two was suggested by me. Even if the privateers actually hurt me points wise, we need to work on that military preperation meter.

The first two proposals are of course silly and stupid. Peace? Peace is cringe. We want war. Unfortunately the CPU disagrees...

RESULTS:

Try to resolve Rev War Peacefully 

FAILED: 3 states voted for, 10 against

Petition to the King to Repeal Intolerable Acts

PASSED: 8 states for, 5 against, I roll my eyes

The Commonly Unified Military Stuff Act of 1776 (the other three proposals)

PASSED: 8 states for, 5 against

And with five legislations passed, what happens next?

nothing.

We lose another point in domestic stability and King George wont repeal the Intolerable Acts

There was however a lot of movement when it comes to party preference, so its time for

Meters n' shizzle

Domestic stuff:

Revenue-budget: 2.
We are overspending hard and if the lingering phase was active, it would hurt us a lot

Economic stability: 5
Stagnation, baby! The meter is perfectly in the middle.

Military preparedness: 2
Everything sucks. If the meter got any lower, we are at a risk of the game ending without combat.

Domestic stability: 2
"Threats of rebellion". That's all you need to know.

Honest government: 7
The government isnt corrupt at all. Nice.

Quality of life: 4
Im not happy about life, but I'm not gonna make a fuss about it.

Foreign stuff:

UK foreign relations: 1
They hate us, they hate our guts, they wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire.

French and Spanish relations: 6
They like us. Not enough to consider us friends, but they are listening to us.

Party stuff:

Left wing populists, progressive and liberals lean Team Red.

Their dittos on the right wing lean Team Blue.

Moderates heavily prefer Team Red.

Thats all for this turn! See in you in 1778-80!

• Like 1

The factions of 1778 and probably only 1778

Miniscule changes lead to annoying consequences, so here's this post once more... at least blue remains unchanged.

tl;dr: Wythe steals liberal Thomas McKean from me. This means RedProg and BlooProg now got the same amount of liberals and both get the card. Meanwhile Benny Franklin is left looking like a cuck.

No leadership changes.

Sons of Liberty (RW) (BlooTradCPU)

Leader: Thomas Jefferson

Notable guys: James Madison, Edward Telfair, George Mason

Cards: Conservatives, Traditionalists, RW Populists    Expansionists, RW Activists    Big Agriculture

The Hart Patriots (BlooConCPU)

Leader: John Hart

Cards: Moderates        Big Agriculture

The Clinton Patriots (BlooModCPU)

Leader: George Clinton

Cards: Moderates        Military-Industrial

The Randolph Patriots (BlooLibCPU)

Leader: Peyton Randolph     

Card, singular: Moderates     

Sons of Liberty (LW) (BlooProgCPU)

Leader: Samuel Adams  

Cards: LW Populists, Progressives, Liberals, Moderates    LW Activists    

Tradionalist Patriots (RedTradCPU)

Leader: John Rutledge    

Cards: Conservatives, Traditionalists     Law & Order

The Franklin Patriots (RedConCPU)

Leader: Benjamin Franklin  

Card: Moderates

The Washington Patriots (PLAYER_LARS)

Leader: George Washington

Cards: Moderates        Big Corps

The Moderate Patriots (RedLibCPU)

Leader: John Adams

Cards: Moderates        Human Rights

The Wythe Patriots (RedProgCPU) f/k/a as The American Whigs (until Sammy Adams ruined that)

Leader: George Wythe

Cards: Moderates, Liberals    Civil Rights    

• Like 1

I denied myself breakfast until I had done all the commitee stuff.

CC President: Nathaniel Gorham (Franklin Patriots)

Domestic chair: Caesar Rodney (also Franklin)
FA/Mil chair: Theodore Sedgwick (also also Franklin)
Econ chair: Jeremiah Van Rennselaer (Jeffersons Lads)
Justice chair: Francis Dana (whoever the red trads are)

Their first job is to replace William Moultrie. They replace him with another of my blokes, Artemes Ward.

On the bright side for Bloo, Horatio Gates is basically guaranteed a job once the next general shits the bed.

And again, I am fucking blessed that I went through all the effort of coding an automated death and retirements bot:

Deaths:

Jared Ingersoll Sr from the RedTradCPU faction is dead at 56. Cause of death: Smallpox

William Greene Jr from the PLAYER_LARS faction is dead at 47. Cause of death: Tuberculosis

Philip Schuyler from the RedTradCPU faction is dead at 45. Cause of death: Pneumonia

Benjamin Guerard from the BlooLibCPU faction is dead at 38. Cause of death: Plague

John Archer from the BlooConCPU faction is dead at 37. Cause of death: Malaria

Alexander Gillon from the BlooConCPU faction is dead at 37. Cause of death: Yellow fever

Abigail Adams from the RedConCPU faction is dead at 34. Cause of death: Smallpox

David Brearley from the PLAYER_LARS faction is dead at 33. Cause of death: Unknown

Henry Dearborn from the BlooProgCPU faction is dead at 27. Cause of death: Deadly accident

Retirement(s):

Benjamin Franklin from the RedConCPU has retired. Reason: Undefined reasons

Abigail Adams dies, but not before giving birth to all of the three pols she was meant to create.

Franklin however, is a bit more of a hassle. He peaces out before he can do his part to save America. How will we cope?

• Sad 1

Generic events:

Scandalous Office Holder: This triggers yet again, and we still dont have any office holders...

Senator or Rep on Committee Garners Attention: Jefferson's lil dog William Blount has wagging his tail around, making all kinds of noise. However, it turns out that he's good at legislation and people want more of it. +1 on his next election, +1 legislative.

Doing What's Right: Likewise, Jefferson's other lil dog William Few has been leading by example. He gains integrity.

Scripted events:

The drama continues in the Franklin household! It appears as in Benjamin retired, upon hearing of the betrayal of his own son! William Franklin, former member of the Continental Congress, publicly went out and supported the British and king George III!

Conciliatory Resolution: The Parliament in London has offered to smooth over some things with the individual colonies and end the rebellion. Naturally the advances have been rebuked.

Philipsburg Proclamation: British general Sir Henry Clinton issued a proclamation from just north of the city of New York calling for slaves to escape their masters and join the British army. General Clinton also promises protection, freedom, and land for those that do so. Jefferson and his faction is once more slammed down to 0 points...

The Dutch recognize us: God love the United Provinces! We've been recognized. We must establish official relations with them immediately to strengthen our ties. We can expect recognition from other countries in the near future. Trading with the fine gentlemen in Amsterdam has improved our economic stability!

Edited by Lars

War, 9 out of 10 doctors recommend it

The Revolutionary War continued where it left off: New York.

On the southern tip near Brooklyn, the British army had camped for a year now. Unable to be supplied due to the Continental Navy but unwilling to retreat, they were a constant treat to the people of New York City.

George Washington himself took charge and won the narrowest of victories (rolled a 47 against a difficulty of 51), routing the Brits off Long Island.

A mere 20 miles away, the army of newly appointed general Artemas Ward awaited the British retreat across York Island to the north. He intercepted them at the White Plains, where he pulled off a majestic win against all odds (rolled a 25 on a 31 difficulty). A glorious spectacle that made him a hero and a better general. Unfortunately, he also caught a fatal case of Bullet, making him our first martyr.

I encourage the readers to drop an F in chat for Ward.

Finally though, it was time to strike back. The British had been routed, but in Trenton, NJ, Hessian mercenaries had made camp while waiting for new orders.

Benjamin Lincoln had been chosen to lead a daring crossing of the Delaware River in the winter and sneakily attack them. However neither Benjamin nor the Continental Army were really made to conduct warfare while knee deep in snow. The Hessians had time to form a proper line and fight back.

The outcome was a defeat, but Lincoln would escape with both his life and his career intact.

That also ended up being the final battle of the phase.

We need 3 more wins and we are allowed another 12 defeats. Overall it looks pretty good for us.

• Like 2
  • Based 1

Another session of the Continental Congress have come and gone. I'll make it brief:

Request Loan from the Dutch: Passes 8 states to 5

Olive Branch Petition (second attempt): Fails 5 states to 8

Protect and encourage intra-state tobacco trade: Passes by a huge margin

POW Exchange with the British: Fails 6 states to 7

Treaty with the Swedish: A fail so large, i didnt even finish counting the states

Ban the British Pound as currency: Passes by a margin so large, you wonder if I finished calculating it. I didnt.

Thomas Jeffersons lads, despite still being dead last in points, has the best points haul in this session.

Right wing politics is starting to look solidly blue. Conversely left wing politics and moderates are heavily leaning red.

As for meter moves? Literally none. Econ stab were supposed to increase, but its already at the highest possible level it can be pre-Independence.

End me.

• Like 2

The factions of 1780 and probably only 1780

The sheet broke. It went wonky. Not all damage have been repaired, so I cant outrule a card being wrong. None the less, what you see here is not against the rules!

Former Congress president Nathaniel Gorham picks up the mantle of Benjamin Franklin. He inherits a faction low on points with only the moderate card to play with.

Elsewhere, George Wythe of the RedProgs have become a bona fide monster. He has 2 or 3 points in everything but military, decent traits for a leadership and he runs a faction that has no less than five cards.

Also, the whole middle of Bloo has fuck-all in terms of cards.

Sons of Liberty (RW) (BlooTradCPU)

Leader: Thomas Jefferson

Cards: Conservatives, Traditionalists, RW Populists    Expansionists, RW Activists    Big Agriculture

The Hart Patriots (BlooConCPU)

Leader: John Hart

Cards: Moderates 

The Clinton Patriots (BlooModCPU)

Leader: George Clinton

Cards: Moderates

The Randolph Patriots (BlooLibCPU)

Leader: Peyton Randolph     

Card, singular: Moderates     

Sons of Liberty (LW) (BlooProgCPU)

Leader: Samuel Adams  

Cards: LW Populists, Progressives, Liberals, Moderates    LW Activists    

Tradionalist Patriots (RedTradCPU) (i might wanna change the name)

Leader: John Rutledge    

Cards: Conservatives, Nationalist

The Gorman Patriots (RedConCPU) f/k/a The Franklin Patriots

Leader: Nathaniel Gorham

Card: Moderates

The Washington Patriots (PLAYER_LARS)

Leader: George Washington

Cards: Moderates        Big Agriculture, Big Corps

The Moderate Patriots (RedLibCPU)

Leader: John Adams

Cards: Moderates        Law & Order

The Wythe Patriots (RedProgCPU) f/k/a as The American Whigs (until Sammy Adams ruined that)

Leader: George Wythe

Cards: Moderates, Liberals    Civil Rights    Human Rights, Military-Industrial

and here's the second one: Death and retirements, courtesy of my very own Python script that you can borrow:

Edmund Trowbridge from the RedTradCPU faction is dead at 71. Cause of death: Malaria   
Henry Middleton from the RedTradCPU faction is dead at 63. Cause of death: Tuberculosis
Eliphalet Dyer from the RedTradCPU faction is dead at 59. Cause of death: Plague       
Samuel Adams from the BlooProgCPU faction is dead at 58. Cause of death: Typhoid       
Josiah Bartlett from the BlooTradCPU faction is dead at 51. Cause of death: Tuberculosis
Elias Boudinot from the BlooLibCPU faction is dead at 40. Cause of death: Plague

Big names on this list. Samuel Adams was a faction leader afterall. Elias Boudinot should had been a faction leader. Middleton and Dyer were both excellent legislators.

Fun fact: Edmund Trowbridge managed to both die and retire in the same phase.

I lied. Generic events:

Scandalous Office Holder: For the third time this game, this happens. There are still no office holders.

Ambition and Drives: Last time around, BlooTrad's Blount got some buffs. This time Theodorick Bland gets a point in command and iron fist.

Off to a Bad Start: Gouvenor Morris has gotten off to a bad start in politics. He gains uncharismatic.

• Haha 1

So I'm gonna do scripted events now. I just redid the scripted events to fit in the new ones by @vcczar.

There will be one notable exception this turn: "Rev War Ends Due to War Weariness". Its supposed to proc 100% of the time on this exact turn. It doesnt sit right with me, especially since independence IS STILL NOT DECLARED. I'm reducing it to 30% chance, so may God help me.

And in the end, it doesnt even matter, it's the...

Scripted events of the 1780-82 turn

Over in Philly, some bloke has written a pamphlet called "Common Sense", calling for full independence. This is considered awesome.

HOWEVER, 12 seconds later in London, King George III grants America autonomy. This is the old end of war event with a 5% chance of occuring.

Of course, the new event "Rev War Ends Due To War Weariness" triggers at the same time.

Also "Restraining Acts", because the Parliament clearly disagrees with the king.

Pinging @vcczar@Arkansas Progressive and @MrPotatoTed. I need help.

In uncontroversial events, someone has opened a public museum in Philadelphia.

Here's how I think it works out:

"Rev War Ends Due To War Weariness" HAS to hit this turn according to V. I assume that means it cancels out "grants autonomy" and "restraining acts"

However, where does it leave us with Common Sense? Logically it should had happened before any of the surrendering. But it simply didnt due to stupidly weird luck.

So I suppose the events go like this:

1. Rev War Ends Due To War Weariness
  2. Articles Of Confederation
  3. Annapolis Convention
  4. The current continental congress becomes bit of a lame duck
  5. We do govenor elections this turn, because we got none of those, but we are now independent, so we do need them.
  6. Then next turn, we write a constitution.

I'd like some smarter people to have an opinion on this.