Jump to content
The Political Lounge

AMPU: Best Playtest Moments


vcczar
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If you are running a playtest or taking part in a playtest, then please post your best or interesting moments of your playtest here. I'll Tweet some of them out occasionally. 

 

Have you seen the clustertruck of the 1848 election we're in the process of doing yet?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

No. What's going on?

This is the short version:  The final outcome was 146-141 for challenger Fillmore... except 5 states were repeatedly tied and thus eligible for SCOTUS challenge (though 1, RI, was not challenged as it went to the loser, any of the other 4 could have flipped the election).  On top of that, there were 6 faithless electors, making the actual final tally 140-141-2 (and several with 1).  The person with 2, and thus eligible for house contingency election if all challenged states stand, is Franklin Pierce, a democrat, who was voted for by Whig defecting electors.

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Based 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biggest point of departure for my current single player playthrough:  Benjamin Franklin has repeatedly declined appointments to serve as the Continental Congress' Minister to France, preferring to stay as Governor of Pennsylvania.  This has led to France refusing to engage in an alliance with the US so far (1782, years behind when Franklin achieved the alliance), and thus we've been having to fight the Revolutionary War without French support.  It's currently very up in the air on whether the American nation will survive or not.

Thomas Jefferson and John Jay were both dispatched to France to try to win support, but both have failed thus far.

Meanwhile, out of desperation the Continental Congress authorized an invasion of Canada.  It was a very close, but the US was defeated and pushed back into their original borders.

Also, the Continental Army is led by Israel Putnam rather than George Washington, as Washington was serving as Continental Congress President when the Army was formed...though Putnam is likely on track to being fired after losing the Canadian invasion, so Washington may rise yet.

And Henry Middleton wrote the Declaration of Independence, as Thomas Jefferson had been forced to resign due to a scandal (perhaps a sleeping-with-slaves scandal?)  

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add onto the fustercluck that is the 1848 election, President William Marcy lost his court challenges, so the results stand, sending the election to the House of Representatives. In order to win the election, a candidate needs to win 16 states. Whigs control 14, democrats 12, with 2 tied.

  • Like 1
  • Based 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Within a single two-year period, 1784-1786, the nation lost Benedict Arnold (fired from his Admiral position due to complaints from his underlings), Aaron Burr (forced to resign from public life due to scandal), Benjamin Franklin (retired due to poor health), AND General George Washington (killed in a battle during the endless American Revolution).  

The revolutionary war now moves into it's tenth year, with Washington dead and no French alliance in place.  (In real life, the war only lasted 7 years).  

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the 1808 Presidential Election, President Daniel Hiester decides to honor the 1-term limits imposed by his administration and not run for reelection. Hiester left office with a struggling economy, active rebellions across the nation, and a military in shambles. This leads to the Federalists winning a near-unanimous victory in the Election of 1808, winning all but 3 electoral votes. Former Senator, Governor, and Secretary of State Samuel Osgood is elected President alongside John Marshall, beating out Incumbent Vice President James Madison and Aaron Burr.

Edited by Rezi
  • Like 2
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rezi said:

In the 1808 Presidential Election, President Daniel Hiester decides to honor the 1-term limits imposed by his administration and not run for reelection. Hiester left office with a struggling economy, active rebellions across the nation, and a military in shambles. This leads to the Federalists winning a near-unanimous victory in the Election of 1808, winning all but 3 electoral votes. Former Senator, Governor, and Secretary of State Samuel Osgood is elected President alongside John Marshall, beating out Incumbent Vice President James Madison and Aaron Burr.

Can you write a Twitter-post-sized history of Hiester from this playtest? I think he'd be interesting to post about. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you write a Twitter-post-sized history of Hiester from this playtest? I think he'd be interesting to post about. 

"Daniel Hiester went from real-life no-name to Renaissance Man He went to be Vice President under two Presidents, both of whom he and his faction worked to undermine. He finally achieved the Presidency and great reform, limiting the Presidency and expanding women's suffrage."

Best I can get with the Twitter post-size, though it omits many details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With George Washington killed in battle during the Revolutionary War, he is obviously not available to serve as President of the Constitutional Convention as he did in real life.  Thus, the convention instead chooses an impressive young man, 29-year-old Alexander Hamilton, to preside over the proceedings.

Also, James Madison was not invited to the Convention, so the duties of writing the Constitution instead fall to Caleb Strong of Massachusetts.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

George Washington is killed during the American Revolutionary War.  We still ultimately achieve independence, though thanks more to political and economic pressures on England by the French and Dutch than by our military prowess.

With Washington dead, he is not available to serve as President of the Constitutional Convention.  The delegates instead choose 29-year-old Alexander Hamilton as President of the Convention, expecting it to be a mostly powerless position like President of the Continental Congress was.

However, Hamilton uses his position and skills at manipulation to make one major change to the US Constitution.  While the majority of states initially oppose granting the right to vote and hold office to non-white citizens, Hamilton swings a single Georgian delegate to vote in favor of the proposal -- which is enough to give the majority.

Thus, the 1788 US Constitution gives the right to vote and hold office to all male citizens regardless of race, in a major departure from our timeline.

(Notably: Slavery is still legal in 12 states, and women still have no rights.  The only other departure from our constitution is that those who are foreign born like Alexander Hamilton are NOT granted natural born status despite already living here when the country is founded.)

 

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

George Washington is killed during the American Revolutionary War.  We still ultimately achieve independence, though thanks more to political and economic pressures on England by the French and Dutch than by our military prowess.

With Washington dead, he is not available to serve as President of the Constitutional Convention.  The delegates instead choose 29-year-old Alexander Hamilton as President of the Convention, expecting it to be a mostly powerless position like President of the Continental Congress was.

However, Hamilton uses his position and skills at manipulation to make one major change to the US Constitution.  While the majority of states initially oppose granting the right to vote and hold office to non-white citizens, Hamilton swings a single Georgian delegate to vote in favor of the proposal -- which is enough to give the majority.

Thus, the 1788 US Constitution gives the right to vote and hold office to all male citizens regardless of race, in a major departure from our timeline.

(Notably: Slavery is still legal in 12 states, and women still have no rights.  The only other departure from our constitution is that those who are foreign born like Alexander Hamilton are NOT granted natural born status despite already living here when the country is founded.)

 

I think I’ll have CPU ratification rules that the CPU will likely vote against ahistorical changes to the historical constitution. Obviously not all of them. 

Deep South and Upper South will vote against non-white, non-male voting 75% of the time if the Gov is CPU for instance. Rather than region specific, might make that the case for any state where slavery is legal. Maybe 50% no for states with slavery that are in the north.

Women votes will be no 50% of the time by states with no state women’s suffrage. 

Etc. things like this. Just need more time to think them out. 

Basically, it will be easier to have a strange constitution the more human players are involved. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think I’ll have CPU ratification rules that the CPU will likely vote against ahistorical changes to the historical constitution. Obviously not all of them. 

Deep South and Upper South will vote against non-white, non-male voting 75% of the time if the Gov is CPU for instance. Rather than region specific, might make that the case for any state where slavery is legal. Maybe 50% no for states with slavery that are in the north.

Women votes will be no 50% of the time by states with no state women’s suffrage. 

Etc. things like this. Just need more time to think them out. 

Basically, it will be easier to have a strange constitution the more human players are involved. 

Might just add more ideology impacts to the proposals.  I noticed for example that while LW populists like race rights, progressives don’t care.  Similarly, increase the number of ideologies that are penalized where penalties feel appropriate.  Then governors vote along ideology lines.

 

in our game, while property owning racial minorities can vote, the issue of slavery wasn’t broached at all.  So could imagine that a compromise agreement for example.  And/or part of the 3/5 compromise.  Like it was all packaged together as a deal that folks felt was a reasonable compromise.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's one for the "worst playtest moments":

 

In 1778, president of the second Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin contracted a series of ailments and decided to retire. Who is capable of doing the work he did in real life?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...