The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

Time to select faction leaders for 1774-76.

RED-

Laurens faction- Staying with Laurens, no other politician has Leadership. Gains +1 Admin. 

Pickering faction- Staying with Pickering, no other politician has Leadership. No gains.

Huntington faction- Huntington faction has two politicians that qualify, Huntington and George Washington.  The faction will vote (50/50 die roll) on who their leader will be.  Huntington wins the roll and will remain faction leader.  No gains.

Mifflin faction- Staying with Mifflin, no other politician has Leadership. Gains Debater. 

Ellsworth faction- Staying with EllsworthEllsworth gains Leadership.  Gains +1 Command.  Gains Iron fist.  (Ellsworth had some really good rolls)

BLUE-

Jefferson faction- Staying with Jefferson, no other politician has Leadership. No gains.

R. H. Lee faction- Staying with Lee, no other politician has Leadership. Gains Expansionist. +1 Admin. 

Randolph faction- Staying with Randolph, no other politician has Leadership and is not obscure. Gains Expansionist. 

Hancock faction- Staying with Hancock, no other politician has Leadership and is not obscure. Gains Expansionist. +1 Command. Gains Iron fist, gains Integrity. (Some really good rolls here too).

Sam Adams faction- Staying with Adams, no other politician has Leadership. Gains +1 Leg.

Faction Names-

Laurens becomes Laurens Patriots

Pickering becomes Pickering Patriots

Huntington becomes Huntington Patriots

Mifflin becomes Mifflin Patriots

Ellsworth becomes American Whigs

Jefferson becomes Sons of Liberty (RW)

Lee becomes Lee Patriots

Randolph becomes Moderate Randolph Patriots

Hancock becomes Moderate Hancock Patriots

Adams becomes Sons of Liberty (LW)

No party leader elections in the Era of Independence

Housekeeping Notes- I now have the correct meter settings (thanks, @Lars) and British relations are now at 1.  French relations at 6.  Economic Revenue at 2.  Economic Stability at 5.  Military Prep at 2 (yikes). Domestic stability at 4.

• Like 1

1774-76 General Events

• We've been able to confirm reports that Johann de Kalb wants to step down from politics. We would have liked a little more warning. de Kalb is removed from the game.

Scripted Events

1774-

• Declaration of Resolves- Members of the Continental Congress are increasingly supporting a Declaration of Resolves to object to the Intolerable Acts and to outline a Colonial Bill of Rights.

1775-

• Lexington & Concord- British troops have been miraculously repulsed by volunteer American colonists known as "minute men." If not for being alerted by the daring rides of Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott, our troops might have been caught off guard. There is no doubt the British Regulars will be tougher next time. We might need to consider sending troops from other colonies to aid our friends in Massachusetts.  Will John Adams- A. We must come to the aid of our sister colony Massachusetts (Continental Army proposal worth double pts) or B. This is a matter for Massachusetts to sort out as unfortunate as it is?  Adams selects A.  
  • William Franklin sides with his father, Benjamin Franklin, and will be available in the next politician draft!
  • Thomas Penn, the Proprietor of Pennsylvania Sides with the British and is removed from the game.
  • Restraining Act- Parliament has now passed several acts restraining trade first in Massachusetts, and then to five more colonies.  We expected no less from Parliament
  • Proclamation of Rebellion- King George III has announced a formal rebellion within his Empire. Royal officials are ordered to rebuff the rebellion and to punish those involved in partaking in the rebellion.  Domestic stability drops to 3 to Violent Unrest.  What will the American response from John Adams be?  A. We could care less! Damn King George III! Let's let him know how we really feel.  B. We need to walk a fine line here. Let's maintain our loyalty to the King, but argue that Parliament has no authority over the colonies. C. King George III certainly wants our heads. Lets proclaim are loyalty to the Crown and to his majesties Parliament.  Adams selects B- Walk a fine line.

Elections to the Second Continental Congress 1775-76

All current members "stood" for re-election.  11 out of 39 were not selected.  Here are the winners with new representatives in italics-

CT- Huntington, Sherman, Ellsworth

DE- Rodney, Collins

GA- Bulloch, Treutlen

MA- Pickering, John Adams, Dalton, Bowdoin

MD- Smallwood, Charles Carrollton, Daniel Carroll, Archer

NC- Johnston, Caswell, Harnett

NH- Thornton, Langdon

NJ- Paterson, Clark, Livingston

NY- Jay, Schuyler, George Clinton

PA- Chew, Franklin, Dickinson, Taylor

RI- Tillinghast, Bradford

SC- Henry Middleton, Laurens, Gadsden

VA- George Washington, Richard Henry Lee, Peyton Randolph, Thomas Jefferson

Elections for the President of the Continental Congress

Mifflin's faction and the Ellsworth faction both have 7 members so it's a tie.  Mifflin's faction wins the tie.

Mifflin Patriots selects John Jay of NY, as the President of the Second Continental Congress.  Jay gains Leadership, removes obscure, gains +1 Command.

Committee Chairs and assignments next!

President of the Continental Congress- John Jay, NY

New Committees & Chairs- 

Domestic Chair- John Adams, MA. Adams gains Business

• Bulloch, GA
  • Carrollton, MD 
  • Caswell, NC 
  • Schuyler, NY gains Agriculture
  • Taylor, PA 
  • Pickering, MA 
  • Paterson, NJ 
  • Jefferson, VA gains Business
  • R.H. Lee, VA 

Foreign Affairs/Military Chair- Henry Middleton, SC gains Foreign Affairs

• Ellsworth, CT 
  • Treutlen, GA 
  • Dalton, MA 
  • Harnett, NC gains Naval
  • Washington, VA 
  • Livingston, NJ gains Military
  • Franklin, PA 
  • Tillinghast, RI 
  • Randolph, VA  

Economic Chair- Roger Sherman, CT gains Economics

• Clinton, NY gains Trade
  • Collins, DE gains +1 Leg
  • D. Carroll, MD 
  • Johnston, NC 
  • Langdon, NH 
  • Huntington, CT gains Transportation
  • Dickinson, PA 
  • Bradford, RI 

Judicial Chair- Caesar Rodney, DE no gains

• Bowdoin, MA 
  • Smallwood, MD
  • Archer, MD 
  • Thornton, NH 
  • Clark, NJ 
  • Chew, PA gains Justice
  • Gadsden, SC 
  • Laurens, SC

Moderates like that Jay is the President of the Congress and has appointed Sherman to a Chairmanship.  Moderate enthusiasm moves +1 Red to Leans Red.

Note that Military Phase should be next, but the colonies have no official Army, no official Navy, and no commanders, it wouldn't be right to do that phase yet.  So, I'm amending the phase order for this turn year only.  Congressional actions, then Military, then more Congressional actions (because, well, it's 1776).

1775 Congressional Actions-

Proposers are; Richard Henry Lee, Oliver Ellsworth, Cornelius Harnett, Benjamin Franklin, Peyton Randolph, Benjamin Chew.

Ellsworth proposes to Boycott British goods until taxes on goods are removed by Parliament. 

The Foreign Affairs/Military committee votes on this resolution.  It passes 10-0 in committee.  It moves to the full Congress for a vote.

CT- 2/3- AYE

DE- 1/2- ABSTAIN

GA- 2/2- AYE

MA- 4/4- AYE

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 3/3- AYE

NH- 2/2- AYE

NJ- 3/3- AYE

NY- 3/3- AYE

PA- 4/4- AYE

RI- 1/2- ABSTAIN

SC- 3/3- AYE

VA- 4/4- AYE

11 AYE, 2 ABSTAIN.  The resolution passes.  Merchants in other nations are hopeful of increased trade with the colonies/states.  Rev/Budget increases +1 and is now at 3.

Lee proposes to seek an alliance with anti-British native tribes.

The Foreign Affairs/Military committee votes on this resolution.  It passes 10-0 in committee.  It moves to the full Congress for a vote.

CT- 3/3- AYE

DE- 2/2- AYE

GA- 2/2- AYE

MA- 4/4- AYE

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 3/3- AYE

NH- 2/2- AYE

NJ- 3/3- AYE

NY- 3/3- AYE

PA- 4/4- AYE

RI- 2/2- AYE

SC- 3/3- AYE

VA- 4/4- AYE

13 AYE.  The resolution passes unanimously.  Military preparation increases by +1 to Level 3 to slightly unprepared.

Chew proposes a Declaration of Causes for the American colonies.

The Foreign Affairs/Military committee votes on this resolution.  It passes 10-0 in committee.  It moves to the full Congress for a vote.

CT- 2/3- AYE

DE- 1/2- ABSTAIN

GA- 2/2- AYE

MA- 2/4- ABSTAIN

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 2/3- AYE

NH- 1/2- ABSTAIN

NJ- 2/3- AYE

NY- 2/3- AYE

PA- 3/4- AYE

RI- 1/2- ABSTAIN

SC- 2/3- AYE

VA- 3/4- AYE

9 AYE and 4 ABSTAIN, the resolution passes.  However, some colonists are fearful of what this will bring. Domestic stability drops -1 to Level 2, Threats of Rebellion (isn't that where we are anyway?)

Franklin proposes to Invite Canada to join Revolution.

The Foreign Affairs/Military committee votes on this resolution.  It passes 6-4 in committee.  It moves to the full Congress for a vote.

CT- 1/3- NAY

DE- 1/2- ABSTAIN

GA- 1/2- ABSTAIN

MA- 3/4- AYE

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 2/3- AYE

NH- 1/2- ABSTAIN

NJ- 2/3- AYE

NY- 2/3- AYE

PA- 3/4- AYE

RI- 1/2- ABSTAIN

SC- 1/3- NAY

VA- 2/4- ABSTAIN

6 AYE, 2 NAY, 5 ABSTAIN.  The resolution passes.  An offer is extended to Canada to join the American Revolution. Rolled a 4.  Quebec does not join.

Randolph proposes to create the Continental Army.

The Foreign Affairs/Military committee votes on this resolution.  It passes 10-0 in committee.  It moves to the full Congress for a vote.

CT- 3/3- AYE

DE- 2/2- AYE

GA- 2/2- AYE

MA- 4/4- AYE

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 3/3- AYE

NH- 2/2- AYE

NJ- 3/3- AYE

NY- 3/3- AYE

PA- 4/4- AYE

RI- 2/2- AYE

SC- 3/3- AYE

VA- 4/4- AYE

13 AYE.  The resolution passes unanimously. Military Prep increases +1 to Level 4.

Harnett proposes to create the Continental Navy.

CT- 3/3- AYE

DE- 2/2- AYE

GA- 2/2- AYE

MA- 4/4- AYE

MD- 2/3- AYE

NC- 3/3- AYE

NH- 2/2- AYE

NJ- 3/3- AYE

NY- 3/3- AYE

PA- 4/4- AYE

RI- 2/2- AYE

SC- 3/3- AYE

VA- 4/4- AYE

13 AYE.  The resolution passes unanimously. No effect.

Congress must now appoint military officers for the new Continental Army and Continental Navy.  President Jay selects Putnam of CT as Senior General.

Senior General- Putnam of CT.  Other Generals- Washington of VA, Ward of MA, Moultrie of SC, Nathaniel Green of RI.  Putnam moves to MA to assume command of troops around Boston.

Senior Admiral- Esek Hopkins of RI.  Other Admirals- Benedict Arnold of CT, John Berry of PA.  Hopkins attempts to gather a small flotilla to engage isolated British ships.

Edited by matthewyoung123

35 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Keep in mind the prerequisites for each meter level.  For example, military prep and revenue/budget can't get that high until bills are passed that can't actually be proposed yet.

I just noticed that below the meter...ugh...so much for the "Continental Army" of minutemen!

• Like 1

MILITARY PHASE-

Trait rolls for the new appointments-

Senior General- Putnam of CT.  Gains +1 Admin

General Washington of VA, Gains +1 Admin

General Ward of MA, no gains

General Moultrie of SC, no gains

General Nathaniel Greene of RI.  Gains Military Leader (already had Decisive General).

Senior Admiral- Esek Hopkins of RI.  Gains +1 Admin

Admiral Benedict Arnold of CT, no gains.

Admiral John Berry of PA, no gains.  

Let's FIGHT the British!

FIRST NAVAL PHASE BATTLE- Battle of Nassau

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) + Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) = 3 + 6 (from the rules-Prior to creation of Sec’ys, you will double the mil ability of the highest ranking officer).= 9
Admiral:  Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) x 10 = 30
Meters: +15
Military Benchmarks: +10 +10% for Military Leader
Difficulty: Easy (only had a 10% chance but got a lucky roll!)
Chance of Success: 70%
Outcome: WIN! (Rolled an 8, needed at least a 70 on a 100 sided die).  Hopkins gains +1 Command & +1 Admin!

The Continental Navy has won the Naval Phase.  We now move to the more difficult Ground Phase of the Revolution.

FIRST GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Boston

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) + Senior General Israel Putnam (3) = 3+6= 9
General:  General Nathaniel Greene (3) x 10 = 30
Meters: +10
Military Benchmarks: +10
Difficulty: Moderate -10 + 10% for Decisive General + 10% for Military Leader
Chance of Success: 59%
Outcome: WIN! (Rolled a 17, needed a 59 or lower on a 100 sided die).  Greene gains +1 Military, loses Obscure. 

SECOND GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Long Island

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) + Senior General Israel Putnam (3) = 3+6= 9
General: General William Moultrie (3) x 10 = 30
Difficulty: Difficult -25 
Chance of Success: 34%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled a 43, needed a 34 or lower on a 100 sided die).  No losses or gains.

THIRD GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Brooklyn

General: Senior General Israel Putnam (3) x 10 = 30
Difficulty: Moderate -10 + 10% for Military Leader
Chance of Success: 55%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled a 71, needed a 55 or lower on a 100 sided die). Putnam -1 Military skill, loses Military Leader.

The United States needs 4 more Ground wins to win the Revolutionary War.  13 more losses, and they lose the war.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

MILITARY PHASE-

Trait rolls for the new appointments-

Senior General- Putnam of CT.  Gains +1 Admin

General Washington of VA, Gains +1 Admin

General Ward of MA, no gains

General Moultrie of SC, no gains

General Nathaniel Greene of RI.  Gains Military Leader (already had Decisive General).

Senior Admiral- Esek Hopkins of RI.  Gains +1 Admin

Admiral Benedict Arnold of CT, no gains.

Admiral John Berry of PA, no gains.  

Let's FIGHT the British!

FIRST NAVAL PHASE BATTLE- Battle of Nassau

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) + Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) = 3 + 6 (from the rules-Prior to creation of Sec’ys, you will double the mil ability of the highest ranking officer).= 9
Admiral:  Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) x 10 = 30
Meters: +15
Military Benchmarks: +10 +10% for Military Leader
Difficulty: Easy (only had a 10% chance but got a lucky roll!)
Chance of Success: 70%
Outcome: WIN! (Rolled an 8, needed at least a 70 on a 100 sided die).  Hopkins gains +1 Command & +1 Admin!

The Continental Navy has won the Naval Phase.  We now move to the more difficult Ground Phase of the Revolution.

FIRST GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Boston

General:  General Nathaniel Greene (3) x 10 = 30
Difficulty: Moderate -10 + 10% for Decisive General + 10% for Military Leader
Chance of Success: 59%
Outcome: WIN! (Rolled a 17, needed a 59 or lower on a 100 sided die).  Greene gains +1 Military, loses Obscure. 

SECOND GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Long Island

General: General William Moultrie (3) x 10 = 30
Difficulty: Difficult -25 
Chance of Success: 34%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled a 43, needed a 34 or lower on a 100 sided die).  No losses or gains.

THIRD GROUND BATTLE- Battle of Brooklyn

General: Senior General Israel Putnam (3) x 10 = 30
Difficulty: Moderate -10 + 10% for Military Leader
Chance of Success: 55%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled a 71, needed a 55 or lower on a 100 sided die). Putnam -1 Military skill, loses Military Leader.

The United States needs 4 more Ground wins to win the Revolutionary War.  13 more losses, and they lose the war.

Thanks for flagging that “double the rating if there’s no secretaries” thing.  I’ll need to take another look at that, because a 6 is higher than the max that an ability can be (5).  I don’t remember the military leader bonus either, I need to take a closer look at those rules tonight! Haha

• Like 1

I begin teaching classes part time on Monday, as well as working my full time job...and running this by myself feels like a part time job.

That being said, if anyone WANTS to help with this 1772 playtest (I'm opening it up), I'll be grateful for the assistance.  I'll still "try" to run it and roll the dice, but having others update the sheets for factions would be a big help.

So, do you want to get involved in ANOTHER 1772 play through with updated rules?  Next up is the 1776 meeting of the Continental Congress...great time to jump in if you want to help out.  Ideally, I'd like maybe another 4 players, 2 for each Team, that can help update and keep me on track.  If you're interested, send me a DM.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I begin teaching classes part time on Monday, as well as working my full time job...and running this by myself feels like a part time job.

That being said, if anyone WANTS to help with this 1772 playtest (I'm opening it up), I'll be grateful for the assistance.  I'll still "try" to run it and roll the dice, but having others update the sheets for factions would be a big help.

So, do you want to get involved in ANOTHER 1772 play through with updated rules?  Next up is the 1776 meeting of the Continental Congress...great time to jump in if you want to help out.  Ideally, I'd like maybe another 4 players, 2 for each Team, that can help update and keep me on track.  If you're interested, send me a DM.

Thanks.

Just make sure @vcczar approves any new players.  (Those who already are in playtests are fine, but new folks need his approval)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Just make sure @vcczar approves any new players.  (Those who already are in playtests are fine, but new folks need his approval)

Yeah, my criteria are:

1. Priority to those who are already experienced playtesters. 

2. 2nd Priority to those who are KS Donor or who have pre-ordered (must show proof) but have been watching and commenting on the playtest. 

3. Minimum is that they were either KS Donors or pre-ordered and can prove it. They also need to make some sort of promise to be reliable--will respond within 24 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, my criteria are:

1. Priority to those who are already experienced playtesters. 

2. 2nd Priority to those who are KS Donor or who have pre-ordered (must show proof) but have been watching and commenting on the playtest. 

3. Minimum is that they were either KS Donors or pre-ordered and can prove it. They also need to make some sort of promise to be reliable--will respond within 24 hours. 

Absolutely!  I thank @Ich_bin_Tyler@Willthescout7@OrangeP47 for inviting me to play 1840!  We are having a blast over there.  I'd love experienced testers or newbies who are KS donors who want a shot at playtesting to get a chance here.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Based 1

So, please welcome @Largo833 @ebrk85 and @10centjimmy as the new play testers who will help me get this 1772 test going again.  They all have access to the rules and the 1772 Spreadsheet that I began.

We are in the process of dividing up who will control what factions now.  I'd like to try and focus us on simulating the Revolutionary War with some of the new guidelines @vcczar @MrPotatoTed and @Willthescout7 have been discussing in the improving wars thread.

1776 legislation is up soon, hope to do that this weekend!  

• Like 2
  • Based 1

Here is how it will break down for new faction controllers-

@ebrk85 Sons of Liberty (LW) & Hancock, the left wing of the Blues.

@matthewyoung123 Randolph and Jefferson, the Blue Right Wing.  

@Largo833 Will be playing as the American Whigs and Laurens.  That means you'll be the LW and the RW of the Reds.  

@10centjimmy has Mifflin and Huntington.  

@Cal has agreed to help us as well!  Excited to have him here.  He will play as the Blue R.H. Lee faction AND the Red Pickering Patriots, so one middle Red and one middle Blue faction.

I don't want the CPU moves involved here at all.  I want to see how humans react, even with two factions.  Cal is aware that sometimes he will be working against himself!

Thanks all for your offering to volunteer.  I'll do my best to make sure we keep going and get to test some of the new features that we are all discussing on the forums.

• Like 1

Proposers for the Continental Congress this term are-

@CalRichard Henry Lee of Virginia.  @Largo833Benjamin Chew of Pennsylvania.  @ebrk85Cornelius Harnett of North Carolina.  @10centjimmyCaesar Rodney of Delaware.  @Largo833Henry Laurens of South Carolina. @CalTimothy Pickering of Massachusetts.  Please submit your proposals.  They can be found under LegisProp tab in your sheets.

7 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

@CalRichard Henry Lee of Virginia.  @Largo833Benjamin Chew of Pennsylvania.  @ebrk85Cornelius Harnett of North Carolina.  @10centjimmyCaesar Rodney of Delaware.  @Largo833Henry Laurens of South Carolina. @CalTimothy Pickering of Massachusetts.  Please submit your proposals.  They can be found under LegisProp tab in your sheets.

Rodney calls to establish a Continental army

43 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Harnett (a wannabe sailor) will propose to Authorize Privateers to Fight British Navy

Edited by ebrk85
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Rodney calls to establish a Continental army

Army and Navy have already been established.  So, I split the Congressional session BEFORE the rules change to allow foreign affairs after the Congress session.

So I did the "1775 Session" already, this is the "1776 Session" of the Congress.  Once this is done, we'll advance to 1776-78.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Henry Laurens- Invade Canada as a Bargaining Chip

Benjamin Chew- Create Framework to Punish British Loyalists

• Like 1