The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

Next proposers are as follows-

William Paca @10centjimmy

Elias Boudinot @ebrk85

Joseph Stanton Jr @matthewyoung123

James Wood @Cal

Thomas Tillinghast @Largo833

Samuel Maclay @Willthescout7

Jonathan Elmer @10centjimmy

Patrick Henry @Willthescout7

If we need to do more after this, I can roll for the "1" legislators.

When you propose something for the convention, please TAG the next person so they know they are up.  @10centjimmy, you're up!

58 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

There's really not much left

Yeah, though there is still one proposal I want to see made, I'll note that if everyone else is all right with it, for the sake of expediency I'd be okay with having a "final call" for proposals to the Constitution where everyone can just post any additional options that anyone in their factions would like to put forward.  It looks like we've got the basics covered, so I would guess that there are few enough proposals coming that we can do them without worrying about the order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Until we confirm whether we’re going with a final call or continuing with the turn order, I’ll have Thomas Tillinghast pass to keep us moving through the list, with @Willthescout7 next.

Also, if Cal meant he’d propose the last thing I was waiting on (unless I missed that there is something @matthewyoung123 still wants proposed), it’s citizenship and voting rights for all races, and I believe @ebrk85 Thomas Paine is the only delegate left who can make that proposal.

5 hours ago, Largo833 said:

Until we confirm whether we’re going with a final call or continuing with the turn order, I’ll have Thomas Tillinghast pass to keep us moving through the list, with @Willthescout7 next.

Also, if Cal meant he’d propose the last thing I was waiting on (unless I missed that there is something @matthewyoung123 still wants proposed), it’s citizenship and voting rights for all races, and I believe @ebrk85 Thomas Paine is the only delegate left who can make that proposal.

In that case I’ll simply pass.

So, let's consider all convention options have been proposed.  Due to the rules being a little...contradictory...here is how I am going to process this.

We will vote by Article, then move onto how amendments are done, Bill of Rights, and slave/free state compromise.  So, we first vote on Option A for Article I (establishing a legislature).  We will vote by state as was done in the Confederation Congress and it takes 2/3 vote to be successful (9 of 13 states). 

If Option A passes, then we move onto Article II.  If not, we move onto Option B for Article I and so on to the other options.  If none of the options pass, we will adopt the historical option.  This is the only way that I think a group of human players can do it without the voting dragging on for weeks.  

So, as we voted for the President, so shall we vote on Articles.  If you control 2 seats or more in your state delegation, then you can cast a vote for the state.  If you have divided representation then you need for at least one person in your state to agree with your vote.

I have a work thing tomorrow morning, but will start voting by state tomorrow afternoon EST.  Thanks all.

If you think it should work differently, I'm open to suggestions but I think this would be the easiest option for us.

Edited by matthewyoung123

I feel like this method will take weeks to get through.  Having to communicate with each other for each state for each vote is going to take forever I think.  I feel like how the other 1772 playtests did it was easier.

Article 1, Option A

Article 1 Option B

Article 1, Option C

Each faction votes for an option. Then you just have to calculate the votes. If a majority of a state delegation votes for the same option then that state votes for that option. If a majority doesn't pick the same then that state abstains.

Same thing for Article 2, etc.

And we can vote on all of the articles and amendments proposed all at once.  Those that don't receive a majority in the first vote gets a 2nd and 3rd if necessary. And the way I understand the rules if none win after 3 rounds of voting then the historical option automatically wins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ebrk85 said:

I feel like this method will take weeks to get through.  Having to communicate with each other for each state for each vote is going to take forever I think.  I feel like how the other 1772 playtests did it was easier.

Article 1, Option A

Article 1 Option B

Article 1, Option C

Each faction votes for an option. Then you just have to calculate the votes. If a majority of a state delegation votes for the same option then that state votes for that option. If a majority doesn't pick the same then that state abstains.

Same thing for Article 2, etc.

And we can vote on all of the articles and amendments proposed all at once.  Those that don't receive a majority in the first vote gets a 2nd and 3rd if necessary. And the way I understand the rules if none win after 3 rounds of voting then the historical option automatically wins. 

OK, we can try it this way.  Again, it'll be tomorrow afternoon before we can get going.

• Like 1