The Political Lounge

Forum Top 100 Final List

vcczar

#80 - Voltaire

Voltaire Biography - Facts, Childhood, Family Life & Achievements

Writer, philosopher, and wit who was crucial in the development of advocacy for freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the seperation of church and state. Had a big impact on the French Revolution.

When I was in high school, I used to write "VOLTAIRE" with a pen or marker on the top of my hand or on my arm. He was also a historian, I read his history of the Great Northern War for a research paper I was writing in undergrad. His book Candide should really be made into a movie or mini-series. It's hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

I might create cards for the top 1,000 (so includes the nominees) and sell them if I can find a reasonable way of doing that. It won't attempt to rank them, but I'll give some sort of # system in a variety of areas where they could also be used as a kind of card game. 

• Based 1

#79 - Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin and the Kite Experiment | The Franklin Institute

America's first celebrity; famous inventor, printer, statesman, civic advocate; invented the lightning rod, bifocals and a stove; secured the alliance with France that was necessary in winning American Independence from Great Britain.

I've been to Franklin's residence and print shop more times than I can count. I've also been to his grave about 5 times and gone by it many more times. 

• Like 2
  • Based 1

#77 - Thomas Aquinas

Saint Thomas Aquinas | Franciscan Media

Ground breaking theologian and philosopher who attempted to reconcile Christian theology with Aristotle's philosophy, leading to the concepts of arguing for the existence of God on reason and ordinary experience rather than by faith and scripture alone.

Certainly important, but I'd argue his influenced has waned him out of the top 100 now that Christianity seems to have diverted from reason in the age of facts and misinformation. It isn't just an issue with Christianity in the 21st century. Islam has the same issue. The Renaissance and the Islamic Golden Age both predominated when their respective religions embraced science and reason, often times more so than the concept of sin, scripture, and faith. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

#76 - James Watt

James Watt - Wikipedia

Invented the first practical steam engine, which allowed engines to use something other than wind, water, or muscle-power; Also, this fuel was transportable; invented the concept of horsepower

The British Isles are certainly dominating this latter part of our top 100. It could continue. 

• Like 2

#75 - William Shakespeare

William Shakespeare - Wikipedia

The most successful figure in world literature, and the primary figure in the development of the English language into a world language. He also wrote plays that have been translated, spread, and staged across the world, even to the present day. Probably the most well-known figure in literature, even after 400 years. Profound influence on all major writers since his death.

I'm shocked he isn't in a better position in this ranking considering English is the world language and he's the single-most influential contributor to both it's artistic success but also to our common word and expression usages. Obviously, it wasn't all Shakespeare, but he did more than any single person when looking at individual contributions. Let me use this opportunity to also say that arguments that Shakespeare wasn't Shakespeare are extremely weak. We have more biographical evidence of Shakespeare than we do of most writers during his time. His will alone establishes him with the actors of the Globe. The genre and style of his plays, especially the later plays, fit a timeline that wouldn't fit with people like Oxford, who was dead by 1604. Additionally, the little we have by Oxford shows little ability to match Shakespeare. Shakespeare also makes occasional mistakes in geography, Latin, and aristocratic protocol that Oxford would never make. Lastly, people that propigate these theories also show that they have little understanding of the theatre world at the time. They assume a play written in 1592 and a play written in 1613 are the same, but it goes through phases. Think of the Beatles in 1961 and the Beatles in 1969. The music is drastically different. If someone claimed that four other people were really the Beatles even though they all died in 1964, and they just published the music after their deaths yearly from 1965-1969, that person would get no attention from people. The music from 1964-1969 was influenced by an entire community of musicians and lyricists. Likewise with Shakespeare in his time, the time and industry of 1613 determined 1613. Someone dead in 1604 could not have pre-written a 1613 play. Anyway, no respected scholar actually believes in these crazy theories thankfully. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

#74 - Thomas Jefferson

TIME for Kids | Thomas Jefferson

Primary author of the US Declaration of Independence; leader of one of the first two US political parties; co-wrote a resolution that led to secession down the road; 3rd president; presided during the Louisiana Purchase and the International Slave Trade Ban; democratized the presidency by ending European-style pomp and circumstance.

He'd rank even better if his Jefferson Bible created a lasting reformation of Christianity. It would have departed the religion completely from the miracles and fantastical nature of it all. 

• Like 2

#73 - Leonardo da Vinci

Leonardo da Vinci - Paintings, Inventions & Quotes - Biography

Painted some of the most popular and most reproduced works of art; considered the epitome of a "Renaissance Man" for being arguably the most diversely talented person in human history; made several unrealized scientific discoveries and innovations in a variety of field, but had little impact on the independent discoveries as he never published his findings and they remained unknown for a long time.

I'm not sure if he should be in the top 100. Maybe the Mona Lisa is enough to be here, but he is more of an idea of genius than he is someone that created tangible-lasting things. He gets a lot of "influence" in these ratings for his notebook inventions, but most of those weren't ever realized and the notebook was found way after his death. It would be akin to me designing a space shop capable of going to Alpha Centauri, losing my notebook, and then someone finding it when we've already sailed towards Alpha Centauri. 

• Like 1

#72 - St Peter

El Greco's Tears of St. Peter — A Saintly Portrait of Anguish and Atonement  | The Most Famous Artworks in the World | Sotheby's

According to orthodox Christian belief, served as the first Christian leader after the death of Jesus and as the first pope; Christian folklore states that Peter holds the keys to Heaven.

It's hard to construe what is fact or fiction regarding Peter. Some argue that he never was in Rome, for instance, despite him being the first Pope (Bishop of Rome). One thing that is interesting is that following Jesus's death, there seemed to be a schism between Peter, James the Just (Brother of Jesus), and St Paul. Paul was bent on Hellenizing Christianity and reaching out to Roman citizens and the like. James was aiming to keep his brother's religion exclusively Jewish, and as his brother, was probably more in line with the real Jesus than Paul. Jesus opposed Rome, while Paul was pro-Rome. Peter was sort of held the middle position. Peter was Jewish and slightly more similar to James in his outlook, but seemed more open to converts than James was. James's position of power was in Jerusalem as he didn't do missionary work (that we know of). It's been argued that James was basically Bishop of Jerusalem and Peter was sent out to be Bishop of Rome. However, so much of this doesn't make sense to me. The formate of it all seems more Hellenistic than Jewish. James and Peter were probably provincial and very Jewish, even if Judaism had been recently Hellenized to an extent. James seemed to oppose hellenizing. I assume Peter sympathized with that, but maybe he understood the practicality of Paul's position. Paul is kind of like an invasive species. He never knew Jesus and suddenly appears as an early leader out of nowhere, according to his own writing. I get the idea that he probably amplifies his own importance. He writes under a kind of power drive. He seems jealous of Peter and James. I'm wondering if most of the early Christian communities even knew who he was until his letters spread or became canon. I sort of picture a very Jewish James and a very Jewish Peter discussing things at the Temple in Jerusalem and being approached by Paul, a man with all sort of head injuries and susceptible to hallucinations, and welcoming him as a Jewish brother, but considering him kind of strange and then thinking nothing else about him. Paul goes home and writes letters about him meeting the famous James and Peter and then placing himself as their equal in his own writing. Anyway....this is supposed to be only about Peter. He fits in this. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

If someone claimed that four other people were really the Beatles even though they all died in 1964, and they just published the music after their deaths yearly from 1965-1969, that person would get no attention from people

Considering how many people believed the "Paul is Dead" story, you might be incorrect

• Sad 1

#69 - Franklin D Roosevelt

Biden channels Roosevelt: Big spending on crises, folksy communication

Longest-serving US president presided during the Great Depression and World War II; Forever changed the fundamentals of US government via the New Deal and strong executive actions; played a huge role in planning post-War Europe, establish relations with the Middle East, worldwide decolonization, etc.

Part of me is surprised he isn't doing better on this list. He's certainly impacted the nation more than any president in the 20th century and impacted the world more than any other 20th century president. The latter, although, could be shared with Wilson and/or Truman. 

• Based 1

#68 - Abraham Lincoln

What it means to be an American': Abraham Lincoln and a nation divided |  History books | The Guardian

Prevented the breakup of the United States with stellar leadership during the Civil War. Laid the foundation for the abolition of slavery in the United States. Centralized the United States, which made America’s dominance in the 20th century possible. Injected Federal power into the daily lives of its citizens via homestead acts, education land grant acts, etc; first Republican president.

Although I can see strong arguments for Lincoln beating FDR for greatest US president, I find it a lot harder to justify him having had more World History influence than FDR. For one, Lincoln's foreign policy mainly focused on just keeping other nations out of the Civil War, whereas FDR inserted himself into the affairs of the entire world when he jumped into WWII, and he changed the world. As such, I find this ranking hard to justify, although he could certainly be in the top 100. 

• Like 1

#66 - Queen Isabella I

Death of Isabella I of Castile | History Today

Unified Spain through marriage and Reconquista; financed Christopher Columbus's 1492 voyage, which led to the colonization of the New World and to the establishment of Spain as a major power.

Elizabeth I gets more attention, but Isabella I is ultimately more influential

#65 - Umar ibn al-Khattab

Farouk Omar (TV Series 2012) - IMDb

expanded his Islamic caliphate into an Empire, ensuring the survival and expansion of Islam. Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Iran were converted to Islam, with all but Iran becoming Arabic in culture.

He could be viewed as something of the St Paul of Islam, which means he should probably be no worse than top 20 on a list like this. 

#64 - Constantine the Great

Emperor Constantine the Great | The Roman Empire

Roman Emperor who greatly reformed Rome; Shifted the center to Constantinople (named after himself); Converted to Christianity and sponsored the relgion, being influential in the creation of the Nicene Creed.

Most devout Christians who love history love Constantine for his sponsorship. However, there's some arguments that his embrace of Christianity had more to do with power and self-glorification, and etc. I wish I could find the book, but I read once that he busied himself with reforming the Church, despite personally knowing very little about Christianity compared to Church leaders. One of the things I read was that he wanted to be considered the 13th disciple or something like that. I think another thing I read had something about his image in Christian iconography. My mind is a little fuzzy on this because this residual memory comes from about 21 or 22 years ago. Ultimately, the Orthodox Church named him "Equal of the Apostles." Regardles of how authentic his faith, he is second to St Paul in keeping Christianity alive. 

• Like 1

#63 - Qin Shi Huang

Qin Shi Huang - Wikipedia

Created the first centralized state and initiated Chinese civilization.Additionally, he standardized the written language of China, instituted the first large scale censorship in history, and initiated the Great Wall of China, which is the only human-made object observable from space.

The biggest thing that hurts his legacy is the fact that his dynasty collapsed not long after his death.