The Political Lounge

Wilson's Vision - 1916 Playtest

To my understanding, here's how it goes:

Leadership and lackey has been omitted. This leaves Elihu Root, who is the only one who is not obscure, has the right ideology and has a matching interest or lobby card.

As for faction nickname, we will roll with "Business Republicans"

Edited by Lars
faction nickname

11 hours ago, Vols21 said:

Limited Choices - I will go with former President William Howard Taft and see if he can go on to do great things here like he did in real life after his single term in the White House.

Loses obscure (if he had it), gains expansionist special interest, gains harmonious (or cancels out disharmonious), 

4 hours ago, Lars said:

To my understanding, here's how it goes:

Leadership and lackey has been omitted. This leaves Elihu Root, who is the only one who is not obscure, has the right ideology and has a matching interest or lobby card.

As for faction nickname, we will roll with "Business Republicans"

Gains leadership, loses obscure (if they have it), gains manipulative

Republican Chair Elections - 1916

• Charles Evan "The Judge" Hughes - Has Leadership, endorsed by Holmes. Rolled 6 and 10, so we're using 10. 
  • William "Fighting Bob" La Follette - No extra rolls. Rolled a 5.
  • William "Former President" Taft - No extra rolls. Rolled a 7.

Round 1.

• Hughes - 10 x 2 kingmakers = 20 (36%)
  • La Follette - 5 x 3 kingmakers = 15 (27%)
  • Taft - 7 x 3 kingmakers = 21 (38%)

William La Follette is eliminated.

Round 2.

• Hughes - Rolled 8 both times. x 2 kingmakers = 16 (35%)
  • Taft - Rolled 10. x 3 kingmakers = 30 (65%)

Taft gains leadership and loses obscure

+100 pts to Vols and 0ccult for electing and re-electing party leaders

Party meter changes

• Wilson's re-election moves Libs +1 blue
    • Put out at being lead by a Liberal, Cons, LW Pops, and Trads move +1 Red
  • Taft's election moves Mods +2 Red
    • Put out at being lead by a Moderate, RW Pop, Trads, Progs, and LW Pop move +1 Blue
  • Net result is Libs +1 Blue, Mods +2 Red, Cons +1 Red, and Progs +1 Blue

Appointments 1916-20

@0ccultist may keep WIlson's IRL 1916 appointments, or may appoint someone else. All positions (besides Fed Chair and Key Advisor) need to be confirmed by the Senate.

• Albert S Burleson (PM General) does not have Kingmaker, so he cannot stay in office.
  • Newton D Baker (Sec of War) does not have Military or Naval exp, so he also cannot be retained.
Edited by Arkansas Progressive

23 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Appointments 1916-20

@0ccultist may keep WIlson's IRL 1916 appointments, or may appoint someone else. All positions (besides Fed Chair and Key Advisor) need to be confirmed by the Senate.

• Albert S Burleson (PM General) does not have Kingmaker, so he cannot stay in office.
  • Newton D Baker (Sec of War) does not have Military or Naval exp, so he also cannot be retained.

Baker is interesting  - the game ratings usually take into account historic jobs they held, so you'd think he'd have the military box checked (or foreign affairs maybe) - especially since he was over the War Dept during a major war.   On the other hand, he readily admitted he didn't know anything about the job, so there's that.   

• Like 1

President Wilson has asked me to announce the following news regarding the Cabinet:

For Secretary of State, we will be keeping Robert Lansing. 
For Secretary of the Treasury, we will be asking Secretary of War Newton D Baker to serve in this position.
For Attorney General, we will be asking Daniel Roper of South Carolina @pman to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of War, we will be asking Representative Cordell Hull of Tennessee @pman to serve in this position.
For Secretary of the Interior, we will be keeping Franklin Lane.
For Secretary of Agriculture, we will be asking Frank H Hitchcock of Massachusetts @Vols21 to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of Commerce, we will be asking Jesse H Jones @0ccultistto serve in this position. 
For Secretary of Labor, we will be asking Josephus Daniels of North Carolina @bradleyg223 to serve in this position. 
For Postmaster General, we will be asking Bill Haywood of Utah @Murrman104to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of the Navy, we will be asking Henry L Stimson @Vols21 to serve in this position. 
For Chair of the Federal Reserve, we will be asking Henry Morganthau @Murrman104 to serve in this position. 

We ask the individuals we've extended nominations to as well as the distinguished members of the Senate who will be voting on these nominations to consider this an opportunity to help assemble a representative government of the people that transcends regionalism, parochialism, and partisan affiliation to help us be better equipped to meet the challenges of the moment. 

• Like 2

Georgetown University, Washington D.C.

When I got the call today from President Wilson, the one where he said he'd like to nominate me for Secretary of War I couldn't help but think of my childhood. You see, here I am on this beautiful college but I grew up in a tiny little log home, some might call it a log cabin. From there I served my country fighting in Cuba as part of the Spanish-American War. I know two things to be true--- America is the greatest country in the world and when it's time to fight, you fight to win. It'll be the honor of my life to serve my country at the Pentagon. I humbly accept the nomination. However I want to make something clear to the great people of this country, something I already made clear to President Wilson; I serve the American people, not a political party. While I am a Democrat, Americans of any political party will be welcome to serve in leadership positions in my Pentagon.  For that matter, I will serve in the Pentagon as long as any President permits it. I'll serve for a Democrat, I'll serve for a Republican, I'll even serve for a Prohibitionist President. I am husband first. An American second. A Tennessean third and fisherman fourth. Now to our enemies, you better set your sights elsewhere because this Tennessean doesn't play games. God Bless America. 

image.jpeg.1123558e2995195aba93529a4134e21e.jpeg

• Based 1

2 hours ago, ShortKing said:

President Wilson has asked me to announce the following news regarding the Cabinet:

For Secretary of State, we will be keeping Robert Lansing. 
For Secretary of the Treasury, we will be asking Secretary of War Newton D Baker to serve in this position.
For Attorney General, we will be asking Daniel Roper of South Carolina @pman to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of War, we will be asking Representative Cordell Hull of Tennessee @pman to serve in this position.
For Secretary of the Interior, we will be keeping Franklin Lane.
For Secretary of Agriculture, we will be asking Frank H Hitchcock of Massachusetts @Vols21 to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of Commerce, we will be asking Jesse H Jones @0ccultistto serve in this position. 
For Secretary of Labor, we will be asking Josephus Daniels of North Carolina @bradleyg223 to serve in this position. 
For Postmaster General, we will be asking Bill Haywood of Utah @Murrman104to serve in this position. 
For Secretary of the Navy, we will be asking Henry L Stimson @Vols21 to serve in this position. 
For Chair of the Federal Reserve, we will be asking Henry Morganthau @Murrman104 to serve in this position. 

We ask the individuals we've extended nominations to as well as the distinguished members of the Senate who will be voting on these nominations to consider this an opportunity to help assemble a representative government of the people that transcends regionalism, parochialism, and partisan affiliation to help us be better equipped to meet the challenges of the moment. 

My great-grandfather was chief legal advisor for Sec of War Newton D. Baker. They were both of Cleveland and knew each other. My gr grandf was a progressive Republican but always also a Baker supporter. He was hoping Baker would get the Dem nom at Convention in 1932. He might have been made Att Gen. had Baker been president. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

My great-grandfather was chief legal advisor for Sec of War Newton D. Baker. They were both of Cleveland and knew each other. My gr grandf was a progressive Republican but always also a Baker supporter. He was hoping Baker would get the Dem nom at Convention in 1932. He might have been made Att Gen. had Baker been president. 

Gonna use pol editor to add Attorney General Hobratsch now

6 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Gonna use pol editor to add Attorney General Hobratsch now

His last name was Mook. Also the great grandfather of Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign manager. They’re both in the game, my gr grandfather and cousin (who I’ve never met). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

His last name was Mook. Also the great grandfather of Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign manager. They’re both in the game, my gr grandfather and cousin (who I’ve never met). 

Oh wow so your cousin was running Hillary's 2016 campaign while you were supporting Bernie in the primaries. Were you aware of the connection then or was this a recent discovery?

11 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Oh wow so your cousin was running Hillary's 2016 campaign while you were supporting Bernie in the primaries. Were you aware of the connection then or was this a recent discovery?

I was aware. I learned of him a year previously. I have no clue how many 1st cousins I have. 

2 hours ago, ShortKing said:

President Wilson has also made the decision to kick House to the curb (historically, this would not happen until 1919 but we move) and will be making William Jennings Bryan his key advisor. 

Only Civil Rights got the improvement to blue ideology. Libs +1 (but it's maxed)

Domestic

• Frank H Hitchcock, Josephus Daniels, Bill Haywood

Foreign

• Cordell Hull, Henry L Stimson

Economic

• Newton D Baker, Jesse H Jones, Henry Morgenthau

Judicial

• Daniel Roper

@0ccultist @Murrman104 @bradleyg223 @pman @ShortKing@Vols21 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Lars @Willthescout7 @OrangeP47 Vote to adopt or oppose in committee (and I'll assume these votes translate to the floor vote, unless otherwise stated, besides swaying)

• Based 1