The Political Lounge

What Did You So For Fun in College?

vcczar

I’m curious how everyone else entertained themselves in college. Here are some of the things I did:

- Lots of reading, excluding assigned reading. Read at least a book a week but frequently more than that. 

- Lots of writing, generally creative stuff. My roommate and I would go to music clubs, diners, coffee shops, etc after midnight and write on napkins. 

- Make films with friends. 

- Make art. Generally drawing and things with photoshop. 

- Played a lot of chess at coffee shops

- Get in debates at coffee shops. 

- Make music with friends. I usually improvised lyrics and played discordantly on instruments. 

- Create hypothetical religions, political parties, skyscrapers, etc just for fun

- Deleted all the Madden NFL players and teams on Madden 2001 PC and created 32 fictional teams filled with historical players. Team of presidents, philosophers, serial killers, etc. designed the uniforms, helmets and football fields too. 

- Go to the outlet mall and ask really ridiculous questions to workers to get a reaction out of them. I usually had the best questions but I remember my roommate going to to a watch store and pointing to his watch and saying, “do you have this exact watch but more expensive?” My best moment was when I was in a Christmas store and asked enough questions to drink three cups of their free coffee. I wish I remembered what I said. 

- Played a lot of Europa Universalis 2 and I helped make the add on Age of Nationalism. 

- Drank 12 or more cups of coffee a day and slept 3 to 4 hours a night, sometimes not at all. Once three days without sleep. No drugs but coffee. 

I miss those days.

Grad school was similar to this too but probably less diverse in activities. 

Between my undergrad and grad school, I've attended at least six colleges.  But five of those were while I was in the military or married/a dad, so I only count one of those as being a true college experience.

For that one, I was a theater major which naturally meant I was doing a lot of plays and rehearsing various skits for class, etc.  While technically required for class, it was also legitimately fun for me.  I was also acting in a campus TV show which took up a ton of time.  So...mostly acting.

I didn't have any money, wrecked my car right before college began in earnest, and there wasn't a ton to do in the literally-one-stop-light college town.  So outside of acting, most of my free time was spent either writing scripts with friends, playing video games (mostly Hollywood Mogul 2, and Grand Theft Auto 3), and dating two girls who were apparently competing with each other to see which one could be more crazy.  ;c)

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Between my undergrad and grad school, I've attended at least six colleges.  But five of those were while I was in the military or married/a dad, so I only count one of those as being a true college experience.

For that one, I was a theater major which naturally meant I was doing a lot of plays and rehearsing various skits for class, etc.  While technically required for class, it was also legitimately fun for me.  I was also acting in a campus TV show which took up a ton of time.  So...mostly acting.

I didn't have any money, wrecked my car right before college began in earnest, and there wasn't a ton to do in the literally-one-stop-light college town.  So outside of acting, most of my free time was spent either writing scripts with friends, playing video games (mostly Hollywood Mogul 2, and Grand Theft Auto 3), and dating two girls who were apparently competing with each other to see which one could be more crazy.  ;c)

That's funny. Yeah, I had no money during college. I frequently ate once a day so I could save money for coffee. I also got free coffee a lot because the coffee shops liked me and I brough people in who expected to see me there. Ultimately, I never paid for coffee for about two years at the end of it all. I got into music venues for free because my roommate for much of this time was a musician who knew all the door people. 

• Like 1

I was an RA in college and had a lot of fun roaming the halls of our dorm, climbing in the roof or down into the fallout shelter in our 60s era campus building. 

College was the first time I played Rome Total War which really set me on the path of political/war strategy games.

Rock Band just got really big so a few of us often got together for that. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

College was the first time I played Rome Total War which really set me on the path of political/war strategy games.

Gigachad.

• Haha 1