vcczar

#90: Warren Moon

• Primary team: Houston Oilers
  • Born in Los Angeles, California
  • College: Washington
  • Undrafted in 1978 and picked up by the Canadian Football League
  • 2x Yardage leader and 1x TD leader
  • Twice within the top 3 in Comp%
  • Spent 6 years in the CFL, winning 5 Grey Cups, 2 Grey Cup MVPs, and 1 CFL MVP
  • The only player in both the NFL and CFL Hall of Fames
  • When combining his stats for both leagues, he threw for over 70,000 yards and 435 TDs. 

Most my write up will be arguing why a Hall of Fame QB is at #90. Before I do that, I want to say that Moon was fun to watch. He was a good QB who could be dangerous. Similar to Marino, he was on a team that was extremely pass-heavy. Moon was far less effective than Marino, so much so that there's a good argument that he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Twice he led the league in Interceptions, and he often struggled maintaining a high comp%, his 291 TDs-233 INTs is subpar for a star in his era, and he twice led the league in fumbles. At his retirement, he held the record for most fumbles. Most damning is his rather mediocre win-loss record of 102-101. I think his Hall of Fame status has more to do with his CFL stats also in mind, the fact that Houston had few Hall of Famers, few undrafted representatives, and the fact that he played for so long. 

When Moon arrived in the NFL, he was 28 years old. It wasn't until his 4th season that he finally threw more TDs than INTs. His peak era seems to have been from 1988 to 1992. He played until age 44, having had one good season with the Vikings and one with the Seahawks. Moon was more popular than efficient. Similarly to Sonny Jurgensen, his fame wrests in longevity and his reputation as a gunslinger. If this algorithm included CFL stats, he's probably be in the top 10. However, his time in the CFL far outshadows his time in the NFL. He only had two elite efficency NFL seasons. Nevertheless, he was fun to watch. 

R/NFL Celebrates Black History Month - Warren Moon : r/nfl

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

#91: Randall Cunningham

• Primary team: Philadelphia Eagles and Minnesota Vikings
  • Born in California
  • College: UNLV
  • 2nd round pick in 1985
  • 1x All Pro
  • Twice was in the top 3 for TD%
  • Led the league in QB rating once
  • 4,928 rushing yards and 35 rushing TDs
  • Punted the ball 20 times, including once for 91 yards

I have a lot of memories of Cunningham since PHI played DAL twice a year. No QB within the divisiion scared me more than Cunningham because his swiftness occasionally allowed him to make plays that others could not make. However, he also frequently undermined his team due to a low completion % and the fact that he led the league in getting sacked five times and yards lost to sacks 6 times, and three times leds in fumbling. In fact, even with his copious rushing yards, if you subtract yards lost to sacks, he would have a net positive of only about 700 yards rushing. He was seriously injured in 1995, but I was still stunned when he retired at age 32. He came out of retired after a year off to join the Vikings. This is when I thought Cunningham was really great. At this point he was mostly a pocket passer, but by staying in place he was much, much more efficient. I thought the 1998 Vikings were one of the most exciting teams and they were easily the best team that year, although they lost the NFC Championship. He ultimate was a backup for the last three season. Cunningham is the definition of the high-risk, high-reward QB. Some may argue that he won games where other QBs couldn't, while others say he may have squandered an Eagles team that had a legendary defense. It should be noted that Cunningham is also a legend in the Super Nintendo game Super Tecmo Bowl as being the only player without a name, "Eagles 12." This QB is so fast he can run circles around a defense and then bolt forward for a 50 yard rushing TD! Despite some of my critique above, he's one of my favorite QBs. 

Former Eagles QB Randall Cunningham speaks about his life in new book -  nj.com

The '98 Vikings had one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. So many weapons all around. It's a shame that Gary Anderson had to pick the worst possible moment to miss a field goal.

59 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The '98 Vikings had one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. So many weapons all around. It's a shame that Gary Anderson had to pick the worst possible moment to miss a field goal.

Yeah, I was watching that game and that kick. I had Cunningham on my fantasy football team that year. It was a weird FF Team, I had Cunningham at QB. My RB was Tyrone Wheatley, who had a career year. I had Cris Carter, Jake Reed, Rocket Ismail, and Qadry Ismail. I forget who I had for TE, Def, or K though. Taking Cunningham and Wheatley were two huge risks that paid off. The only other time I took a FF risk was when I picked Vick during his one good year on the Eagles. My luckiest season was when I had Tomlinson the year he ran for 28 TDs. My unluckiest year was the year I drafted Peyton Manning and he missed the entire year (his final year on the Colts. 

#89: Ace Parker

• Primary team: Brooklyn Dodgers
  • Born in Virginia
  • College: Duke
  • 2nd round draft pick in 1937
  • 1x MVP and 1x 1st team All-Pro (as a QB)
  • Once led the league in passing yards
  • Played QB, HB, P, KR, PR, and DB
  • In the NFL Hall of Fame
  • Played briefly in Major League Baseball as a shortstop

He's in the Hall of Fame primarily for the collective ability he had in all of the positions he played. He never won the big game and as a QB he only had two, maybe three, really good years. He was drafted as a 25-year-old rookie. He retired at age 29 to fight in WWII. After the war, he returned at age 33 and retired permanently the next year. He was never the QB that Baugh, Luckman, or Graham was, and his place in the Hall of Fame is not QB-specific. Nevertheless, he was the best QB for one season and was pretty darn good for two other seasons. He played during the era when it was masculine to throw interceptions. Witness his 30 TDs to 50 INTs for his career.

Where are they now: Ace Parker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

You leave a game to the kicker, you're begging to be disappointed

#88: Chris Chandler

• Primary team: Atlanta Falcons
  • Born in Washington
  • College: Washington
  • 3rd round in 1988
  • Took the Atlanta Falcons to the Super Bowl but lost. 
  • Twice was top 3 in adjusted yards per attempt% for a season, including leading the league was an impressive 9.5

I first remember Chandler as a kind of middling QB for the Colts, the team that drafted him. He then played for several other teams, often as a backup, but sometimes as a mediocre starter. In 1997, at age 32, his career took off. Out of nowhere Chandler is suddenly good. I remember refusing to believe he was good, thinking he'd regress the next year, but in 1998, he went 13-1 and got to the Super Bowl. Following this, he tailed off a bit but was still quite solid. Late in his career he was a backup on two other teams. Prior to Matt Ryan, an argument could be made that Chandler was the Falcon's greatest QB, although Bartkowski was good. Chandler is at least the most successful prior to Matt Ryan. He overcame years of mediocrity to show that a long-term vet can suddenly rise up to the next level. 

Falcons Throwback Thursday: Remembering former QB Chris Chandler - The  Falcoholic

#87: Frank Ryan

• Primary team: Cleveland Browns
  • Born in Texas
  • College: Rice
  • 5th Round pick in 1958
  • Won an NFL Championship in 1964, one of the last before the SB era
  • Twice led the league in TD passes and was in the top three in TD% three times. 
  • Mathematics professor at Case Western University in Cleveland after his career

Originally drafted by the Rams who rarely used him. Did not become a full time starter until 6th season, which was his second with the Browns. From 1963-1967, his team was consistently one of the winningest teams in the league, although this was definitely due to RB Jim Brown who was unstoppable. Ryan was ultimately the best QB in Browns history after Otto Graham, and the best until Sipe or Kosar. He's the last Browns QB to win a title. 

10 most undervalued Cleveland Browns of all-time

#86: Jeff Garcia

• Primary team: San Francisco 49ers
  • Born in California
  • College: San Jose State
  • Undrafted in 1994
  • Had three seasons in which he was top 3 in low INT%  
  • He had 1 season in which he was top 3 in TD%, Rating, and or COMP%
  • Started out in the Canadian Football League and won the Grey Cup and Grey Cup MVP. 

I had never heard of Garcia during his 5 years in the CFL, despite his success. I remember he emerged as 29-year-old NFL rookie from the bench when Steve Young received his career-ending injury. He was mobile and accurate. After throwing two consecutive 30+ TD seasons, I remember thinking how lucky the 49ers were to have gone from Montana to Young to Garcia. It seemed like their chain of Hall of Fame QBs would continue. However, for whatever reason, starting in 2003 (his 5th NFL season), Garcia became a game manager. He threw about half as much as he used to throw and also his mobility decreased, which may have played some role. He had one last good year in 2007 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when he was 37 years old. The last time I heard of him was in 2011 when he was signed by the Houston Texans as a backup, but he never threw a pass and then retired. Prior to his final NFL season, he joined the USFL reboot league, but it looks like he threw more INTs than TDs in a league with lesser talent. Overall, Garcia was briefly Hall of Game calibre but then slid into a good game manager QB. 

Former San Francisco QB Jeff Garcia questions 49ers front office | For The  Win

#85: Alex Smith

• Primary team: Kansas City Chiefs & San Francisco 49ers
  • Born in Seattle, Washington
  • College: Utah
  • 1st overall pick in 2005
  • 4x a top-3 QB in low INT%, twice leading the league
  • Once led the league in QB rating
  • Led the 49ers half-way in their Super Bowl season (they lost) before a major injury
  • Comeback Player of the Year after his final season. 

I remember when Smith was drafted 1st overall, which I thought was a surprise. His first season was awful, and it took him 7 years to really become good. Smith never became anything beyond a game manager-type QB. After losing his job to Kaepernick, he signed with the Chiefs. He was one of the most efficient QBs in the NFL during these 5 seasons, rarely making a mistake. He was basically Aaron Rodgers but with a lower TD% and yardage % per game. His team earned three 11 wins season with him at the helm. Following a major post-injury leg infection that almost led to amputation, Smith played for the Washington Football Team, retiring at the end of the year. I never took Smith seriously on the 49ers. On the Chiefs I did. He also ran for almost 500 yards on the Chiefs one year, while he rarely ran with the 49ers. It must have been a better season for him. Smith ultimately became a good QB, but he may become better known for losing his job to Kaepernick and to Mahomes. 

Looking back at the 49ers haul from the first Alex Smith trade

• Like 1

• Led the 49ers half-way in their Super Bowl season (they lost) before a major injury

I remember when Smith was drafted 1st overall, which I thought was a surprise. His first season was awful, and it took him 7 years to really become good. Smith never became anything beyond a game manager-type QB. After losing his job to Kaepernick, he signed with the Chiefs. He was one of the most efficient QBs in the NFL during these 5 seasons, rarely making a mistake. He was basically Aaron Rodgers but with a lower TD% and yardage % per game. His team earned three 11 wins season with him at the helm. Following a major post-injury leg infection that almost led to amputation, Smith played for the Washington Football Team, retiring at the end of the year. I never took Smith seriously on the 49ers. On the Chiefs I did. He also ran for almost 500 yards on the Chiefs one year, while he rarely ran with the 49ers. It must have been a better season for him. Smith ultimately became a good QB, but he may become better known for losing his job to Kaepernick and to Mahomes. 

People were always fascinated with his hands

His last year with the Football Team was a really nice feelgood story on a team that, due to its ownership, was otherwise rather unlikable.

• Like 1

#84: Bernie Kosar

• Primary team: Cleveland Browns
  • Born in Ohio
  • College: Miami (FL)
  • 1st overall pick in the 1985 Supplemental Draft 
  • 4x a top-3 QB in low INT%
  • 2x a top-3 COMP%
  • Went to two straight AFC Championship games. 
  • Won a SB as a backup to Troy Aikman with the Dallas Cowboys

Kosar had an unorthodox delivery, but he was one of the top QBs when I first started keeping up with football regularly in 1987. Kosar began as a 21-year-old rookie in 1985 and was considered so smart that he was compared to a veteran on day 1. I remember him completing close to 300 passes without an interception at one point. Apparently injuried reduced his abilities by his 6th year. I remember his arm strength was below average or so it seems. The Kosar that went to two straight AFC Championships was no longer starting calibre, but he ended up being a great backup. In this capacity, he earned a SB ring backing up Aikman for the Dallas Cowboys. He spent his last three years backing up Dan Marino on the Miami Dolphins, although the difference between Marino's quick release and Kosar's diminished arm strength probably made adjusting to Kosar difficult when he was in the game. Kosar definitely seemed like one of the greats in his first five seasons. Nevertheless, the Browns have not had a QB as good as Kosar following his time in Cleveland. 

The Bernie Kosar Era - Browns Daily Dose with Steve King

#83: Harry Newman

• Primary team: New York Giants
  • Born in Detroit, Michigan
  • College: Michigan
  • Pre-draft era rookie in 1933
  • Completely dominated passing in the NFL in 1933, his rookie season
  • Won the championship his dominant rookie season
  • Technically a Tailback, but this was when this precursor to the Running Back often threw the ball more than the QB.
  • Played what would be called QB, RB, KR, and K today
  • One of the few Jewish passers
  • Greatly undersized by today's standards at 5'8" 179 lbs. 

Newman is kind of a special case. An explosive one-hit wonder, who dominated every passing category and won the championship. He was never the same again. The next season he threw only 1 TD to 12 INTs for a laughable rating of 15!  After that, he rarely passed again. After three years in the NFL, he joined another football league and retired when that league folded a couple of years later. Newman's placement on this list shows how infrequently a QB has dominated a season. Those that dominate tend to be repeat dominators. Newman makes the top 100 by virtue of one perfect season: complete passing mastery over his rivals and a championship. 

1931 New York Giants Quarterback Harry Newman | New york giants football,  Ny giants football, New york football

#82: Matthew Stafford

• Primary teams: Los Angeles Rams & Detroit Lions
  • Born in Tampa, Florida
  • College: Georgia
  • 1st Overall Pick in the 2009 Draft
  • Won a SB with the Rams after over a decade QBing with the Detroit Lions.
  • Comeback Player of the Year in 2011
  • 1x top 3 in TD% and AYA%
  • Threw for over 5,000 yards in 2011 and had 41 TDs but others threw more of both that year.

He's shown in a Rams uniform because his SB win his the only reason he makes the list. Aside from the Super Bowl, Stafford has shown limited efficiency and not a great win-loss record (86-95-1), which was much improved by the Rams Super Bowl season in which he won 12 games. While this was a great season for him, he also led the league in interceptions that year with 17. I first heard of Stafford when he was the starting QB at my high school when I was in college or grad school. He was also on the high school baseball team with Clayton Kershaw. I didn't hear about him again until all the pre-draft stuff. Stafford's time on the Lions was sort of perplexing. He was a good QB he put up a lot of yards every season, and he had Hall of Fame WR Calvin Johnson, but his teams routinely disappointed. His success on the Rams came something as a surprise to me, but I was happy to see it. He's done enough to make the top 100, but he still has about 5 more years or so to move up the list. 

How L.A. Rams Carried Matthew Stafford to Super Bowl Title | Football  Outsiders

#81: Carson Palmer

• Primary teams: Arizona Cardinals  & Cincinnati Bengals 
  • Born in California
  • College: USC
  • 1st Overall Pick in 2003
  • Twice top 3 in QB Rating, and 1x top 3 in Comp%, TD%, Low INT%, AYA%
  • Led the league in TDs and Comp% once. 

I remember when Palmer was drafted, and I was surprised when, despiting being the 1st overall pick in 2003, the Bengals refused to play him during his rookie season. His 3rd season (second playing season), he was in the MVP hunt and looked like he had the makings of a Hall of Fame QB. He initially retired after his 8th season, probably to get off the Bengals who were always struggling, except for two seasons in which they were playoff calibre. He unretired to join the Raiders and after two okay season there, he signed with the Cardinals and had something of a renaissance. In 2014, he was 6-0 and with MVP numbers but had a season ending injury. The next season he took the Cardinals to the Championship game (lost) and came in second in the MVP race. Palmer never lived up to his 1st overall pick status, but he was a good and occasionally great QB. 

Carson Palmer Made $174 Million as an NFL Star Before He Found a New Way to  Grow His Fortune

#80: Joe Flacco

• Primary teams: Baltimore Ravens
  • Born in New Jersey
  • College: Delaware
  • 18th Overall Pick in 2008
  • Won a SB for the Ravens and was that SB's MVP
  • Most career yardage and TDs for a QB that has never made a Pro Bowl

Flacco, similar to Eli Manning, was just good enough to keep his job, but rarely good enough to alleviate the concerns of fans. I remember when Flacco was drafted, and I predicted that he would be great, while many thought he'd be okay. I think I was half right. He was slightly better than okay or okay, but he did win a SB and a SB MVP. That alone made him worth an 18th overall pick. Flacco scores 0 pts in my algorithm for skills as he was never top 3 tier in anything. He is here exclusively for the SB performance. 

A Final Salute To Ravens' Joe Flacco - PressBox

On 8/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, vcczar said:

#95: Neil O'Donnell

• Primary team: Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Born in New Jersey
  • College: Maryland
  • 3rd Round Pick in 1990
  • Led his team to a SB (he lost).
  • Was in the top 3 for low INT% for 4 seasons

The fact that he was a good QB didn't really materialize for me until after he retired when I looked at his career stats. He always seemed like a should-be-backup who game managed a good Steelers team. I do remember thinking he was arguably the top backup later in his career. His career 2.1 INT% is shockingly great for the era he played in, but like many low INT% QBs, his TD% was also low. That is, he game managed. Despite the low INT%, he tossed 2 INTs to the Dallas Cowboys in the SB following the 1995 season, which is the kind of mistake O'Donnell rarely made. After the season, he decline to resign, and went with the Jets, which turned out to be a mistake as he never was as productive on the Jets, Bengals, and Titans. After five years as a great backup for the Titans, he retired with what was then the lowest INT% in NFL history. Maybe @MrPotatoTed, a Steelers fan, has some memories too. 

Amazon.com: NEIL O'DONNELL PITTSBURGH STEELERS 8X10 SPORTS ACTION PHOTO (A)  : Sports & Outdoors

My dad always mentions that Super Bowl game, How he threw the interception in the same spot, Twice. I and my whole family are Steeler fans. 

• Like 1

#79: Chad Pennington

• Primary teams: New York Jets
  • Born in Tennessee
  • College: Marshall
  • 18th overall pick in 2000
  • 2x winner of the Comeback Player of the Year Award
  • 3x top three in Comp%, twice leading the league
  • 2x top three in QB Rating, once leading the league
  • Once top three in TD%, Low INT%, and AYA%, including once leading the league in TD%

Pennington is probably one of the most efficient QBs despite being on some mediocre teams and playing in a career that saw four shoulder surgeries. Pennington didn't really play until his 3rd season, but did well from the start. He was among the most efficient QBs in seasons in which he was healthy. In 2008, he signed with the Miami Dolphins and had one of his two greatest seasons, this one putting him in the MVP running. However, he was injured for the umpteenth time next year and never stayed healthy again. Another shoulder injury forced him to retire in 2010. He came out of retirement in 2011 but injured his ACL before pre season. I remember he always seemed like he was on the verge of getting a 3rd Comeback Player of the Year Award, in which case he should have it named after him. He's the only player to have won the award twice. He was also leading in career completion % by the time of his retirement. 

Where are they now?: Former Jets QB Chad Pennington

#78: Ron Jaworski

• Primary teams: Philadelphia Eagles
  • Born in New York state
  • College: Youngstown St
  • 2nd round pick in 1973
  • Took the Eagles to their 1st ever SB (but lost)
  • 3x top three in Low INT%
  • Led the league in AYA one year. 

I live in Philadelphia and just about every football fan I talk to aged 50 years or older thinks Jaworski is the greatest Eagles QB, despite McNabb and Cunningham having had some success. I knew of Jaworski when I started watching football, but he rarely played as a backup the Dolphins and then the Chiefs.  He was initially drafted by the Rams, but he was awful as he struggled to complete even 40% of his passes in just over 100 attempts. In 1977, he went to the Eagles and became a Philadelphia legend, starting the most consecutive games by a QB In NFL history at that time (since broken). Often a good QB, and took his team to the SB, but he also led the league in getting sacked three times. 

WILL RON JAWORSKI BECOME EAGLES' NEW PERSONNEL BOSS? | Fast Philly Sports

#77: Tony Romo

• Primary team: Dallas Cowboys
  • Born in San Diego, California
  • College: Eastern Illinois
  • Undrafted in 2003
  • 3x top three in Comp%, including once leading the league
  • 2x top three in TD%, including once leading the league
  • Once led the league in QB Rating

I'm from Dallas, and I remember Romo just being a name on the official roster for three years. One of those names that you don't really think about because they could be off the team at any moment. In his 4th season, starter Drew Bledsoe went down with injury and Romo came in, was excellent, and so kept the job. Bledsoe had a similar situation happen in New England with a no-name backup named Tom Brady taking his job after an injury. Romo-led teams were frequently one of the best teams, but he and his team would fall apart in the playoffs. Romo won only 2 playoff games in his career and as a Cowboy fan that was frustrating. I could trust him to have a high QB rating but not to win important games. As such, I was comfortable with the decision to move on to Dak Prescott who I felt was just about as good as Romo. 

Tony Romo Retiring After 15-Year Cowboys Career, Becoming Broadcaster |  News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

• Like 1

#76: Danny White

• Primary team: Dallas Cowboys
  • Born in Arizona
  • College: Arizona St
  • 3rd Rd pick in 1974
  • 3x top three in TD%
  • 2x top three in AYA%
  • 2x won 75%+ of the games in a season
  • 1x top three in QB Rating
  • Led Cowboys to the NFC Championship game 3 seasons in a row
  • Last starting QB to also be the starting P at the same time for multiple seasons
  • Earned a SB ring as the starting P and backup QB for Roger Staubach

My favorite QB of all time. Not because I think he's the best, but rather because he was the first QB I knew about. I grew up watching Dallas Cowboys games with Danny White as the QB. My favorite # is 11 partially becomes of him and partially because I'm born on the 11th of a month. I had the Starting Lineup action figure of Danny White. He was originally drafted for his punting abilities since the Cowboys had Roger Staubach as QB. White didn't want to be exclusively a P, so he left the NFL and joined the World Football League for two season, where he started at QB and P (led the league in punting). He opted to return to the NFL, rarely throwing the ball until 1980, when Staubach had retired. White led Dallas to three straight championship games from 1980-1982, but he lost all three games, including the famous defeat against Montana's 49ers in the last second ("The Catch"). 1983 was a 12 win season and it seemed like at least another 4th championship game would occur, but White and his Cowboys didn't win a playoff game. He wouldn't win another one again, although he'd have one more appearance in 1985. Aside from 1985, the Cowboys from 1984-1989 were a team on decline, after a kind of dominance that had existed since the late 1960s. Part of the issue may have been that their now ancient coach Tom Landry was consistently pulling White out games and inserting mediocre QBs, hoping that someone could be a new Roger Staubach. White would get pulled but he was always put back in, uness he was injured. 1986 was a promising year as White went 4-2 before getting injured. He was almost exclusively a backup in his final season in 1988. White retired after the season as the team was bent on drafting a new QB (Troy Aikman). My memories of White are mostly from 1985-1988, sadly, although I certainly saw him during the great seasons. I was just too young. White is the 3rd most successful QB in Dallas Cowboys history. At retirement, he held team records for TDs, Yards, Comp%, and for punting yards and total punts. After retirement, he became a head coach in the Arena Football League and won their championship game twice. 

Danny White | Dallas cowboys players, Dallas cowboys football, Nfl dallas  cowboys

• Like 1

#75: Donovan McNabb

• Primary team: Philadelphia Eagles
  • Born in Chicago, Illinois
  • College: Syracuse
  • 2nd overall pick in 1999
  • Took the Eagles to five NFC Championship games, winning one of them to go to the SB (lost).
  • 2x in top 3 in Low INT%
  • Once led the league in TD% and AYA%
  • Rushed for over 3,000 yards and had 5 receptions

I first heard of McNabb as a prospect for NBA Basketball when he was in college. I didn't even know he played football until he was drafted. McNabb was good for almost his entire career, but he never scared me (as a Dallas fan) the way Cunningham did. This is mostly because I didn't consider how often Cunningham got sacked and lost yards on those sacks. McNabb was certainly less error-prone. He quietly went to five NFC Championship game, and I think part of this had to do with great Dallas Cowboys teams collapsing in the playoffs during the Romo era. He had a forgettable year each on the Redskins and Vikings at the end of his career. He was expected to sign with the Bears in 2012, but they changed their mind as the season was about to begin. McNabb retired after that season as he wasn't picked up. Nevertheless, McNabb is worthy of the top 100, and I could feasibly see him make the HoF as a senior nominee a decade or so from now. 

Remembering Donovan McNabb's Stellar NFL Career | News, Scores, Highlights,  Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

On 9/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, pilight said:

He only played 10 games in 2000 and only threw two passes in one of them.  That's about half of a 16 game season.

The W-L record is mostly a function of the team around them.  Look at 2000, his best season.  The Broncos were 7-3 when he started.  That includes the two pass game I mentioned above, so let's call it 6-3.  They were 4-2 when he didn't play and won the game he barely played.  They were just as good with Gus Frerotte as they were with Griese.  This was a team that had just won two straight superbowls and with Griese for four years they made the playoffs once, when he essentially missed the second half of the season.  After he left, Jake Plummer took them to three straight playoff appearances.  I'm not a huge Plummer fan but he was obviously a much better QB than Griese and he's probably not on your list.

I very much agree with Jake Plummer. Fun little tidbit here, I wasn't a big fan as a kid yet I had a die-cast Jake Plummer Hummer.

#74: Glenn Presnell

• Primary team: Portsmouth Spartans
  • Born in Nebraska
  • College: Nebraska
  • Pre-draft Era rookie in 1931
  • Won the Championship in 1935
  • 1x MVP and 1st-team All-Pro in 1933.
  • Led in Low INT% in one season

Technically a Halfback but played during an era in which they often threw more than the QB. By today's standards, he would have been playing QB, RB, and K. He entered the league as a 26-year-old rookie who had previously played semi-professionally. For the most part, Presnell makes this list for one Hall-of-Fame worthy season and a later championship. He also ran for 6 TDs, which led the league in rushing that season and broke what was then the NFL record for most points in a season (he also kicked). He won the championship in 1935, but he was statistically unproductive as a passer that season. 

Former Husker All-America running back Presnell dies at 99 - University of  Nebraska