The Political Lounge

Victoria 3 Thread

DakotaHale

Thoughts on Victoria 3? What will be your first playthrough? What are your thoughts on the abstracted warfare system (somehow I imagine Vcczar is a big fan of this)? What mods do you wish for in the future?

My first playthrough will probably be the USA. Gotta rep the home team. Going to try to balance North and South interests to delay the civil war as long as possible. Though I may try to get an independent Ohio somehow and rock and roll with that (Ohio confederacy???). I have no thoughts on the new war system yet, as I haven't watched any videos of it and am not too entirely sure of how it works other than the basics. A cold war mod would be interesting I think, especially with the new warfare system.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Thoughts on Victoria 3? What will be your first playthrough? What are your thoughts on the abstracted warfare system (somehow I imagine Vcczar is a big fan of this)? What mods do you wish for in the future?

My first playthrough will probably be the USA. Gotta rep the home team. Going to try to balance North and South interests to delay the civil war as long as possible. Though I may try to get an independent Ohio somehow and rock and roll with that (Ohio confederacy???). I have no thoughts on the new war system yet, as I haven't watched any videos of it and am not too entirely sure of how it works other than the basics. A cold war mod would be interesting I think, especially with the new warfare system.

@DakotaHale Yeah, the Victoria series is probably the method of playing I like the most. I'd say Europa Universalis is my favorite because of the number of years that can be played, but V3 might change my mind. I'm definitely excited to play this. I'll start as either the US or UK. 

• Like 1

I haven't been closely following, but it will be a day one purchase for me.  Looks like it comes two days after closing night for the show I'm in right now, which is extraordinarily good timing.  Much better than when Crusader Kings II came out on Valentine's Day while I was a newly wed.  Haha.

Have they indicated whether there will be an "observer mode" available?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I haven't been closely following, but it will be a day one purchase for me.  Looks like it comes two days after closing night for the show I'm in right now, which is extraordinarily good timing.  Much better than when Crusader Kings II came out on Valentine's Day while I was a newly wed.  Haha.

Have they indicated whether there will be an "observer mode" available?

They’ve gotta have one. 

Haven't been keeping up with the development, so this is the first I'm hearing of the abstracted warfare system*. I'll probably buy it whenever it goes on sale, and try to unite Germany, or Italy in my first playthrough.

*Though, after doing some very brief reading on the subject, it does look rather interesting. I've never really been into the military micro-managing aspect of paradox games so something like this seems right up my alley. They're fine, don't get it twisted, but if I want to play armchair general then I'd play a game like Command: Modern Operations, or Ultimate General Civil War before I'd play a game like HOI4 or Vicky2. I still enjoy paradox games, don't get me wrong, I just play them for reasons other than the martial combat.

• Like 1

I'm open to it and it seems interesting, but overall I'm skeptical of the change. I'd rather they improve the current system which they feasibly could. If war is reduced to a progress bar with options A-B-C-D I will be saddened. 

Though my first Paradox game was basically Hearts of Iron 3. Which is military micro-managing Hell. 

Screen1

I play a lot of other more real time strategy games as well (Total War), so a change of pace will be interesting. I've always loved Victoria and I especially loved 2's political system. My first playthrough will obviously be the US where I keep it mostly historical. I might go for the Confederacy but overall I just really enjoy playing the US. Next I'll probably go with Russia or Japan. Those 2 are really fun. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pringles said:

I'd rather they improve the current system which they feasibly could. If war is reduced to a progress bar with options A-B-C-D I will be saddened. 

Though my first Paradox game was basically Hearts of Iron 3. Which is military micro-managing Hell. 

For me HOI is my least favorite of CK, EU, and V, primarily because it's almost entirely war exclusive. In all, war aspect is probably my least favorite part of all the games.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Very much so looking forward to Vicky 3 at launch. I'm not a huge fan of the dumbed-down war mechanic but Vicky is the least-warish of the games, so it's not a huge problem. I imagine it'll have some issues at launch and that it'll be far better 5 years down the line. Still should start off good though, if we go by CK3's launch as an indicator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Do we know what the bell is representing?

I don't know officially, but my first thought was "hired help".  Ringing a bell to summon the butler or the chamber pot maid.  Haha. That seems to match with it being in services.  But not so much with it being in art, etc.

So I guess services (as @DakotaHale explained above) is the right answer.  I suppose it's possible to hire art services (Interior designers, painters, etc), communication services, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I could be reading the chart wrong -- does it suggest that only the poor want intoxicants?

EDIT:  Nope, I'm reading it wrong.  It suggests that "everyone" wants intoxicants regardless of wealth.  Ha.

According to the chart you may either have fish or art, but not both. I personally choose fish.

• Like 1

I would like to see a mod that allows you to carry over your game from CK3, to EU4, to V3, to HOI4. 

I really don't know why they just don't take the best parts of each of these games and just make one big timeline game from Charlemagne through the end of WWII. Charlemagne to United Nations. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I would like to see a mod that allows you to carry over your game from CK3, to EU4, to V3, to HOI4. 

I really don't know why they just don't take the best parts of each of these games and just make one big timeline game from Charlemagne through the end of WWII. Charlemagne to United Nations. 

There actually are save file converters that can do this (but with Vic2 for now). They’re not perfect though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, vcczar said:

They're just four entirely different games.  The best parts of Crusader Kings (interpersonal relationships and detailed personalities for every character) are barely an after thought in EU and not present at all in Victoria or HOI.  Likewise, something like Victoria's focus on the economy isn't present at all in Crusader Kings...EU's colonization focus isn't (as I recall) in HOI, etc etc.

Personally, I love Crusader Kings' gameplay exclusively.  I like the timeframe of the Victoria games, even if it's too complex for me to really get into.  HOI is far too complex for me, and I've never gotten into EU at all.  I did try the mod once that connects them all and let it run hands off, but the outcome was too random for it to actually be interesting to me.

On 9/5/2022 at 4:24 PM, DakotaHale said:

my first playthrough might be qing dynasty to try to prevent the fall of the dynasty, no ideas for mods yet but the base vanilla game brings a lot of solid stuff 

• Based 1