The Political Lounge

Victoria 3 Thread

DakotaHale

I've put well over a thousand hours into Vicky 2 and overall I'm excited at the path paradox is taking with this game. The playing tall, green line go up, literary boom gameplay is what got me invested into the second game and paradox leaning into that even more is something I like very much. 

I'm skeptical of the warfare system, late game warfare is actually one of my most favorite things in Vicky 2. But it's more of a wait and see thing. If it's boring and trash it's boring and trash but it won't be a deal breaker to me. As long as the whole society building thing works I'll be content. First playthrough will be the Sikh Empire though. I could get the Empire Under the Pun achievement if I'm lucky.

I'm thinking I probably will start with the US to help learn the game since I understand my own nation better than others, but I'm probably most eager to play as the UK or one of the German nations. 

The game, I believe starts in 1836 and ends in 1936. Here's where my ancestors lived in 1836. I'm kind of hoping to play as these nations below:

• 75% of my paternal side would be in Saxony, which I believe was still its own nation in 1836. They all lived near the Czech border and were ethnically Slavic. They were called Sorbs and hadn't had their own nation since Charlemagne. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Texas. 
  • 56.25% of my maternal side would be in the USA, in Massachusetts, Ohio, New Jersey, and possibly still in Pennsylvania. About half are of German-descent and about half are of English-descent. By 1936, they're all in Ohio. 
  • 12.5% of my paternal side would be in Oldenburg, which was indepndent of Prussia in 1836. These ancestors were actually originally from Prussia, but they moved westward for reasons unclear to me sometime before 1820. I think the Napoleonic Wars probably had something to do with it. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Texas. 
  • 12.5% of my paternal side would be in Wurttemberg, which was its own Kingdom in 1836. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Texas. 
  • 12.5% of my maternal side would be Moravians in the Austria-Hungarian Empire. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Kansas. 
  • 12.5% of my maternal side would be Bohamian Czechs in the Austria-Hungarian Empire. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Kansas. 
  • 6.25% of my maternal side would be in England. By 1936, all these ancestral lines are in Kansas (via Canada).

So I'll start with the US, then play as Saxony. After that I'll play either as the UK, Oldenburg, Wurttemberg, or Austria-Hungary. 

What's really crazy to think about is that this game ends the year my dad was born (he was in his mid-40s when I was born). So basically, I get to see the world 100 years before his birth up until his birth. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

19 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I am personally split between a Greece run (or any of the Balkans really) and a USA run. Probably USA into a Confederate run first and then Greece because I’m sure they’re a hard nation.

When I want a challenge I play as a nation in Africa, Central America, or Oceania. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

• 1 month later...

image.png.373b344c5cf7f6f015bfc7c4d208a721.png

As the release day draws near (I intend on playing on release), I'm cautiously optimistic. I've watched some of the dev streams and the recent tutorials Paradox has put out and I'm honestly more excited than ever to try this game out. The release version will likely be barebones and have its share of bugs and wonkiness but if the general mechanics work fine I can excuse it.  Overall, I'm more interested with the general reception this game will get having been following the discourse sounding this game. I'll likely enjoy the game no matter what baring any major bugs/glitches. 

• Like 1
  • Based 2

1 hour ago, Cenzonico said:

image.png.373b344c5cf7f6f015bfc7c4d208a721.png

As the release day draws near (I intend on playing on release), I'm cautiously optimistic. I've watched some of the dev streams and the recent tutorials Paradox has put out and I'm honestly more excited than ever to try this game out. The release version will likely be barebones and have its share of bugs and wonkiness but if the general mechanics work fine I can excuse it.  Overall, I'm more interested with the general reception this game will get having been following the discourse sounding this game. I'll likely enjoy the game no matter what baring any major bugs/glitches. 

I actually took the week off work as well just for the game. Last time I did that was RDR2, and before that was Fallout 4. Can't wait.

• Based 3

23 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I actually took the week off work as well just for the game. Last time I did that was RDR2, and before that was Fallout 4. Can't wait.

Damn it comes out on Tuesday when I'm at school. I need to get Wednesday off of work though! Thanks for reminding me. 😛 

12 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I've seen other people online doing the exact same thing lol. I get off school early the tuesday it comes out so thats nice.

Tuesday is a day I don't have to go in for work, but I'm pretty much always working, but I'll be using some of that time to play V3. 

One thing that I've noticed since hitting my 40s is that it takes me a little longer to learn complex games that are different from what I'm used to playing. Whereas in my 10s, 20s, and 30s, I pretty much figured things out easily and without a tutorial. I think V3 is similar enough to V2 that I'll be okay. On the other hand, I bought Stellaris, tried playing it for 30 minutes, and then just gave up because I didn't have time for the learning curve. I really dislike this aspect of me because it makes me feel old for the first time in my life. I'll get back to Stellaris at some point. 

A few weeks ago I posted the nations where my ancestors lived from 1836-1936 (timeline of V3), but here's a list of the exact locations and number of direct ancestors I had living in those locations at the start date in 1836. I plan on playing as these nations:

6x Bautzen, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony) 
9x Klitten, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
3x Reichwalde, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Durrbach, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
2x Bellwitz, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Trauschwitz, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Oldenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany (Grand D. of Oldenburg)
3x Rastede, Lower Saxony, Germany (Grand D. of Oldenburg)
2x Mahringen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
2x Bermaringen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
1x Luizhausen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
3x East Rush, NY
3x Union County, PA
3x Green Creek, OH
2x Springfield, NJ
1x Sudbury, MA
2x Newton, MA -- Just outside Boston
1x Watertown, MA -- Just outside Boston
3x Ipswich, MA
1x Newbury, MA
1x Sycamore, OH -- Just outside Cincinnatti
4x Columbia, OH -- Just outside Cincinnatti
3x Cromer, England, UK -- just outside Norfolk, England
3x Cimelice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Zbenice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Zavisen, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Doubravice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Pozdechov, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
2x Liptal, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
2x Hostalkoby, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

A few weeks ago I posted the nations where my ancestors lived from 1836-1936 (timeline of V3), but here's a list of the exact locations and number of direct ancestors I had living in those locations at the start date in 1836. I plan on playing as these nations:

6x Bautzen, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony) 
9x Klitten, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
3x Reichwalde, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Durrbach, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
2x Bellwitz, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Trauschwitz, Saxony, Germany (K of Saxony)
1x Oldenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany (Grand D. of Oldenburg)
3x Rastede, Lower Saxony, Germany (Grand D. of Oldenburg)
2x Mahringen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
2x Bermaringen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
1x Luizhausen, Wurttemburg, Germany (K of Wurttemberg)
3x East Rush, NY
3x Union County, PA
3x Green Creek, OH
2x Springfield, NJ
1x Sudbury, MA
2x Newton, MA -- Just outside Boston
1x Watertown, MA -- Just outside Boston
3x Ipswich, MA
1x Newbury, MA
1x Sycamore, OH -- Just outside Cincinnatti
4x Columbia, OH -- Just outside Cincinnatti
3x Cromer, England, UK -- just outside Norfolk, England
3x Cimelice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Zbenice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Zavisen, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Doubravice, Bohemia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
3x Pozdechov, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
2x Liptal, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)
2x Hostalkoby, Moravia, Czech (Austrian Empire)

I imagine the German minors would be more viable in Victoria 3. German minors in Victoria 2 were just not good options to play with the exception of Bavaria (And maybe Hannover). 

• Thanks 1

I hope the game comes out via my source fairly quickly. Tuesdays are my days off and I'd love to get some gametime in.

First game will 100% be the good ol' USA.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

I've seen some early anxiety over the warfare system, but to be honest, the rest of the game looks great so far, and I think people have too much nostalgia for chasing around massive stacks late game so they can gas attack one million French conscripts. 

I always played USA in Victoria II when i hadnt played in a while. I think its a chill game but with enough war that it doesnt get dull and a lot of room to grow from a minor Great Power to a Juggernaut that it still feels like you accomplished something so itl be my first game in III

• Like 1

Damnit looks like I have to play as the US as well now lol. Would be fun to do a group comparison.

My plan is to eventually play as seceding Confederate States of America or the Free States of America (the Free State equivalent of the CSA if the USA retains slavery; which Paradox confirmed is in the game) and win.

16 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Damnit looks like I have to play as the US as well now lol. Would be fun to do a group comparison.

My plan is to eventually play as seceding Confederate States of America or the Free States of America (the Free State equivalent of the CSA if the USA retains slavery; which Paradox confirmed is in the game) and win.

I'm going to probably play, as best as I can, as a progressive US. Equality, rights, welfare, etc., as soon as possible. I'll use the military for defense purposes only and will ally only to prevent genocide if I have the military to even be helpful. I'll focus heavily on trade too. If the South secedes, there's a chance I just let them do it, hoping they free the slaves in a generation or less due to international pressure. 

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm going to probably play, as best as I can, as a progressive US. Equality, rights, welfare, etc., as soon as possible. I'll use the military for defense purposes only and will ally only to prevent genocide if I have the military to even be helpful. I'll focus heavily on trade too. If the South secedes, there's a chance I just let them do it, hoping they free the slaves in a generation or less due to international pressure. 

I'm gonna be gigachad Catholic central powers aligned Monroe Doctrine on steroids.

• Based 1