The Political Lounge

Victoria 3 Thread

DakotaHale

Yep. They all posted all exactly 12:00 EST. Which is exactly 3 days before Vic3 releases. Makes sense but I think the embargoes on CK3 and HOI4 were a week long instead of 3 days. Also these guys are my favorite Paradox content creators and always hilarious to watch: 

• Based 1

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Yep. They all posted all exactly 12:00 EST. Which is exactly 3 days before Vic3 releases. Makes sense but I think the embargoes on CK3 and HOI4 were a week long instead of 3 days. Also these guys are my favorite Paradox content creators and always hilarious to watch: 

Bokoen is the best. I actually didn’t know until recently but in his channel bio or whatever he is a college dropout. Nearly finished his masters in politics science with an emphasis in international relations iirc. Smart dude. Gigachad for dropping out and making money on Paradox Games though. 

• Based 1

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Speaking of it appears that the embargo on creator videos on Victoria 3 ended today. As one of my favorite content creators (known for finding exploits in popular management games) posted this less than an hour ago:

I just watched this whole thing. This guy is great. It's like "What would happen if someone gave John Oliver 30 cups of coffee and complete control of an island?"  I watched the other video too, but I wasn't as into those guys. I think it was just too many voices, and they were losing control of their narrative. 

In the video I did like, it was interesting to see some of the issues, such as Norwegian Karl Marx, and a party getting 600,000 votes when the entire population isn't even half that number. In the other video, I think Abraham Lincoln was somehow president of the US when he wasn't even of age to be president. All minor things.  

• Based 1

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

In the video I did like, it was interesting to see some of the issues, such as Norwegian Karl Marx, and a party getting 600,000 votes when the entire population isn't even half that number. In the other video, I think Abraham Lincoln was somehow president of the US when he wasn't even of age to be president. All minor things.  

Yeah the election thing was hilarious. But I read in a dev diary that Karl Marx adopts the nationality of whatever the country he spawns in is. The island he picked was released from Norway at the start of the game. But the other things are issues that will hopefully be ironed out in a day one hotfix.

3 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Yeah the election thing was hilarious. But I read in a dev diary that Karl Marx adopts the nationality of whatever the country he spawns in is. The island he picked was released from Norway at the start of the game. But the other things are issues that will hopefully be ironed out in a day one hotfix.

I'm curious who, other than Lincoln, is included among US politicians. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm curious who, other than Lincoln, is included among US politicians. 

From a dev diary: 

"A variety of historical figures can emerge as the game progresses beyond 1836. We can define everything you’d expect about a character like their religion, ethnicity, and traits, but there’s also a little more we can do here. Taking US President Abraham Lincoln as an example, we’ve set the earliest date that he can become an Interest Group leader to 1847 (when he first entered the House of Representatives, joining the national political stage). We can set both country-level and Interest Group-level triggers on when it’s appropriate for a character to emerge - Lincoln can emerge only in the USA, and he can join either the Intelligentsia or Rural Folk if they are not Marginalized. We can also determine the chance that a politician will emerge every time a suitable Interest Group selects a new leader."

So Paradox either lied or there was a bug. Also Santa Anna is a general for Mexico and if he is captured Mexico instantly capitulates.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cenzonico said:

A forum wide MP would be awesome once we all get comfortable with the games basic mechanics. I can't feasibly do it until Thanksgiving week due to school though. 

I'd like to do that, but how is this done considering our various schedules? For instance, I'd probably only have about 30 min to an hour a day at best. 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd like to do that, but how is this done considering our various schedules? For instance, I'd probably only have about 30 min to an hour a day at best. 

Presumably everyone who is interested would agree on a set day and time and attempt to make time in their schedule for it. I understand that this varies wildly amongst everybody here, but hopefully everyone would be able to make it. If they can't then it sucks but real life is more important at the end of the day, so don't worry to much about it. 

Someone said thaton the 23rd and 24th mid-tier and small-tier creators will be allowed to post content. And as I just saw today, at exactly noon a large swath of new Vic3 videos have released. Hopefully some people playing the game normally instead of the meme playthroughs. Will post if I watch a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished the video. Took me awhile to get used ot his voice. There's something about overly enthusiastic people that makes me want to leave a room, but he made up for it by being a great narrator for what he was doing and also having decent knowledge of historical events. 

• Agree 1

Posted this in the discord but might as well here in case others wanna see. Tommykay analyzes the new war system. He’s pretty negative about it so I wonder if his predictions about a “War DLC” or patch come true.

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Posted this in the discord but might as well here in case others wanna see. Tommykay analyzes the new war system. He’s pretty negative about it so I wonder if his predictions about a “War DLC” or patch come true.

The war aspect is the part I'm least interested in. It seems to be partially automatic, if not complete, and I'm actually happier with that. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The war aspect is the part I'm least interested in. It seems to be partially automatic, if not complete, and I'm actually happier with that. 

The community in general seems pretty divided on it. Though from what I’ve seen, of the big communities like TomnyKays, If there’s enough backlash I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it gets change. I’ll be keeping an eye on reviews for the first week. It’ll be good or it might end up like Imperator. Since it’s Victoria though I’m more optimistic. 

7 minutes ago, Pringles said:

The community in general seems pretty divided on it. Though from what I’ve seen, of the big communities like TomnyKays, If there’s enough backlash I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it gets change. I’ll be keeping an eye on reviews for the first week. It’ll be good or it might end up like Imperator. Since it’s Victoria though I’m more optimistic. 

It's hard to picture paradox doing another imperator pullout. A lot of effort has gone into bringing fans and new players into the fray. Plus with the experience of ck3 the developers know they can tease out more changes. Imperator didn't really have this level of community engagement. 

It might not be as "good" as ck3 on release, but this one will have some staying power. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

It might not be as "good" as ck3 on release, but this one will have some staying power.

Yeah, of course it’ll have more staying power given it’s an older series. 

36 minutes ago, Pringles said:

What was the issue with Imperator? I got the game, but I stopped playing it, mainly because of a lack of time. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What was the issue with Imperator? I got the game, but I stopped playing it, mainly because of a lack of time. 

Mainly the failure to implement flavor and meaningful game mechanics + features due to the time period. It tried to be too much like EU4. A very rich game. However they failed to make good distinguishable differences that made each nation unique and fun.

• Thanks 1

Been playing Rimworld to hold me over. New DLC just came out that adds children to what is essentially a war crime simulator. Mega based

Some of my favorite r/ShitRimworldSays quotes:

"Accidental CIA I found that the best way to get someone to abandon their ideologie is to overheat their room, keep them starving (but not too much) and every so often to beat them. They’ll have so many mental breaks they’ll drop that stupid tribal ideologie in a jiffy”

"Why would they ever ban a game that will let me force feed cocaine to an infant?"

"Are we going to see a mod that makes shooting babies from a mortar possible?"

"Cows are so productive they break Newton's laws. So long as cows are efficiently fed, the heat death of the universe can't occur. Get a cow."

"I don't care if you're white, Black Red or Blue. If you have a working Liver; I'm coming for you."

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Been playing Rimworld to hold me over. New DLC just came out that adds children to what is essentially a war crime simulator. Mega based

Some of my favorite r/ShitRimworldSays quotes:

"Accidental CIA I found that the best way to get someone to abandon their ideologie is to overheat their room, keep them starving (but not too much) and every so often to beat them. They’ll have so many mental breaks they’ll drop that stupid tribal ideologie in a jiffy”

"Why would they ever ban a game that will let me force feed cocaine to an infant?"

"Are we going to see a mod that makes shooting babies from a mortar possible?"

"Cows are so productive they break Newton's laws. So long as cows are efficiently fed, the heat death of the universe can't occur. Get a cow."

"I don't care if you're white, Black Red or Blue. If you have a working Liver; I'm coming for you."

Were the other 2 worth getting? I have vanilla and a bunch of mods but never went for Ideology or royalty