The Political Lounge

Victoria 3 Thread

DakotaHale

37 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

One more day fellers!! (I think it releases at 1200 Tuesday unfortunately instead of 0001 which means I actually will sleep tonight lol.

Looks like for me its 7AM PST based on what Steam is saying, so you can make the appropriate time zone conversions from there.

• Based 1

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I hope they find more authentic images for some of the characters. For instance, Henry Clay and Santa Ana look nothing like how they looked. 

I think they’ll iron it out after a while. I recall in the leaked version that Andrew Jackson, Karl Marx and Abraham Lincoln were all randomly generated instead of having unique DNA like they do now.

• Like 1

I was never a particularly skilled Vicky player -- it was more of a "Hey, let's see what happens" playthrough.  The only Paradox games I actually focused on becoming reasonably good at were the CK games (all the way back to the original) and kind of Stellaris.  

But I do want to really try with this one.  I want to really dive into the economic system -- assuming I get that stable, then I'll try small land grabs beyond the 50 states.  Maybe spread into the Caribbean if the opportunity arises.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I was never a particularly skilled Vicky player -- it was more of a "Hey, let's see what happens" playthrough.  The only Paradox games I actually focused on becoming reasonably good at were the CK games (all the way back to the original) and kind of Stellaris.  

But I do want to really try with this one.  I want to really dive into the economic system -- assuming I get that stable, then I'll try small land grabs beyond the 50 states.  Maybe spread into the Caribbean if the opportunity arises.  

Every since I started working on AMPU 3 or 4 years ago (I have no clue on the passage of time), I have usually just simulated games or just toyed around in a game using a cheat code with unlimited cash just so I can manipulate the map for fun. However, I'd say that Europa Universalis is the game I've been the most skilled at playing when I'm playing normally. I've played all versions of this game -- going back to the original. I actually helped make DLC (Age of Nationalism) for EU2 in 2001 or 2002. My first time to help with a PC game was Civil War General III in 1999 or 2000, but that game never came out. 

Of the Paradox games, I'd say I could be good at CK3, but I'm not interested in the war aspect. I'll just try to win via diplomacy. I know I can be good at EU4. I think I could be good at V3, but I was only okay at V2. I'm not good at HOI at all. I have no interest in going to war. I've started playing Stellaris, but it's so different from what I'm use to that I'm still in the learning process. I like it more than I originally did. One thing I realize is that it takes me a bit longer to learn new games than it did like 20 years ago. However, a lot of that might be because I'm much more distracted now.

4 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Also the livestream embargo ended today as well. Basically every Paradox YouTuber is livestreaming right now. Good chance to see some uncut gameplay. Here's the game-breaking guy playing as the Brits

I only had 30 minutes to watch the video so I skipped around. I emailed the guy to thank him for making the videos. I might try to get him to cover AMPU. 

• Based 1

Today is the day liberals. In less than half an hour we might be playing Vic3 (I don't think pre-downloading is a thing for Paradox games unfortunately and my internet is shit recently so I might not get to play until later.

I've noticed three important things (triply so if we plan on playing America)

1. Iron/steel is always important
2. So are tools
3. You need to declare a strategic interest in an area to be able to annex territory (I think)

God bless you all and I pray that no unfortunate mass calamities happen in the next 20 minutes (vladimir pls)

• Like 1
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Today is the day liberals. In less than half an hour we might be playing Vic3 (I don't think pre-downloading is a thing for Paradox games unfortunately and my internet is shit recently so I might not get to play until later.

I've noticed three important things (triply so if we plan on playing America)

1. Iron/steel is always important
2. So are tools
3. You need to declare a strategic interest in an area to be able to annex territory (I think)

God bless you all and I pray that no unfortunate mass calamities happen in the next 20 minutes (vladimir pls)

Yeah, I noticed the importance of tools right away. 

I'm going to play as the US and attempt to not expand and just work on the economy/trade and social reform. I'm going to ban slavery as quickly as possible, and I'll let the South secede if it must. I'll economically cripple them and hope a slave rebellion turn the South into a country known as New Africa, which apparently is an option. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1