The Political Lounge

AMPU Terminology Change Poll

vcczar

AMPU Terminology Change Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which date system is preferable?

• Biden is now in the half-term 2020-2022 [This adjustment won't lead to any major overhaul]
    • Biden is now in the half-term 2021-2023 [This will require a lot of adjustments]
    • I have no strong opinion either way [I'll automatically pool you into option #1 since both me and MrPotatoTed prefer it]
  2. 2. We have Military Expertise and Military Skill (or should it be called ability?). Anyway....

• Keep both as military
    • Change the ability/skill as Martial and keep the expertise as Military.
    • Other
  3. 3. Egghead is typically someone that is an expert or a bureaucrat

• Keep the term egghead
    • Change the term to Policy Wonk
    • Other
  4. 4. Low Brow is the opposite of Policy Wonk. (i.e. someone that dislikes experts and bureaucrats and opts for instinct and experience)

• keep the term low brow
    • Change the term to Commoner
    • Change the term to Uneducated
    • Change the term to Basic
    • Change the term to Ignorant
    • Change the term to Unscholarly
    • Change the term to Anti-Wonk
    • Other
  5. 5. Cop is a trait for someone specially atune at handling the Attorney General position specifically. It's opposite is illicit, who is someone that would break the law to enforce the law or break the law through incompetence at this specific job.

• Change Cop to Lawful [I lean towards this one]
    • Change Cop to Virtuous
    • Change Cop to Moral
    • Keep it as it is
    • Other
  6. 6. We have Agriculture as both an expertise and industry. We also have the lobby Big Agriculture

• Keep Big Agriculture as the name of the lobby
    • Change it to Farmer [Note: I dislike this one as the lobby is supposed to focus more on mass-scale farming and plantation owners in the old days]
    • Change the Industry to Farming, Expertise to Farms, and keep the lobby as Big Agriculture
    • Keep it as it is
    • Other -- please suggest names for the three concepts above.
  7. 7. We have Oil & Gas as an industry, Energy for expertise, and Big Oil & Gas for the lobby

• Change the industry to Natural Gas and keep the rest.
    • Keep everything as it is
    • Other
  8. 8. We have Civil Rights (interest) and Human Rights (lobby) -- the former is specific for black rights while the latter is for international human rights -- Rwanda in the 1990s, Polish Jews in WWII, Mexicans in detainment in the 21st century

• Keep them Both
    • Change Human Rights to Humanist Lobby
    • Other
  9. 9. Should Command, Legis, Gov, Judicial, Admin, etc be called Skills or Abilities?

• I think saying, "Donald Trump has 3 Command Skill" sounds better
    • I think saying, "Donald Trump has 3 Command Ability" sounds better
    • Other
  10. 10. Any other name change ideas?

My “other” thing I wanted to address was Celebrity. I think it’s okay as a descriptor, but most people strongly associate it with entertainment, sports, music, and rarely in business and the private sector generally. (for example: I’d argue that John Morgan of Morgan & Morgan is a celebrity, despite being an attorney, or Donald Trump)

You don’t really call war heroes celebrities. Where’s the paparazzi? Haha. I think that’s a bit of a holdover from when you had separate traits for that. Now that they’re combined, perhaps - a better term might be “Renown”. But I think Celebrity is fine enough. I had just thought about it whilst taking the poll 😛 

3 minutes ago, Cal said:

My “other” thing I wanted to address was Celebrity. I think it’s okay as a descriptor, but most people strongly associate it with entertainment, sports, music, and rarely in business and the private sector generally. (for example: I’d argue that John Morgan of Morgan & Morgan is a celebrity, despite being an attorney, or Donald Trump)

You don’t really call war heroes celebrities. Where’s the paparazzi? Haha. I think that’s a bit of a holdover from when you had separate traits for that. Now that they’re combined, perhaps - a better term might be “Renown”. But I think Celebrity is fine enough. I had just thought about it whilst taking the poll 😛 

I mean for celebrity to be celebrity. I used to have “war hero” but condensed it because it was the exact same effect as celebrity. I created celebrity for Trump because he has few electable traits otherwise. I really mean it for people with nationwide recognition. For instance, Steve Largent was a US Rep and NFL Hall or Famer but not everyone knows who he is. Everyone has heard of Trump even if they don’t keep up with any of his pre-presidency projects. Same would have been for PT Barnum. It’s a trait that very few have. I allowed people to earn it even though I personally don’t favor that. 

• Based 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

For what it’s worth, I have never heard of John Morgan (or Morgan and Morgan) in my life.  I’d also never heard of Hershel Walker until he ran for Senate so I stripped him of celebrity in my 2022 playthrough.  (I let him be not obscure still).

I have no doubt these guys are nationally known among the people who follow their field.  But in my mind, celebrity transcends a field.  I’m not into music and can’t name a single one of her songs, but I know who Beyoncé is.  Celebrity.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

For what it’s worth, I have never heard of John Morgan (or Morgan and Morgan) in my life.  I’d also never heard of Hershel Walker until he ran for Senate so I stripped him of celebrity in my 2022 playthrough.  (I let him be not obscure still).

I have no doubt these guys are nationally known among the people who follow their field.  But in my mind, celebrity transcends a field.  I’m not into music and can’t name a single one of her songs, but I know who Beyoncé is.  Celebrity.  

Yeah I’ll probably remove celebrity from a Walker 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

We've talked previously about how I don't like that "Big Business" is different from "Wall Street."

I'd propose changing Big Business to Wall Street, and change Wall Street to "Big Banks"

It's Big Corporations.

Wall Steet stands for the entire financial industry in media lingo. 

• Like 1

You ping me for god knows what kinds of crap, but here I dont get a ping. Tsk tsk.

Low brow should NOT be changed. All the proposed suggestions Ive seen so far (bar commoner or everyman) just reeks of "this is a bad trait to have" when it really isnt.

45 minutes ago, Lars said:

You ping me for god knows what kinds of crap, but here I dont get a ping. Tsk tsk.

Low brow should NOT be changed. All the proposed suggestions Ive seen so far (bar commoner or everyman) just reeks of "this is a bad trait to have" when it really isnt.

Low brow reeks of it too, it’s not a compliment. Haha.  But I agree that Everyman sounds the best.

Lowbrow - could use “man of the people”

is it possible to have “state celebrities” - it seems Walker’s football exploits at UGA would make him quite famous in the state.   I can see Celebrity defined as “well known nationwide” which would exclude most sports and war hero’s,    Though some did get a lot of national exposure at the time and may have been known across the country (example Joe Foss who shot more enemy planes than anyone and was invited to talk shows and game shows because of his celebrity status)

I like Ted’s idea to change military expertise to Army (or Soldiering or Ground Force).   I think Air Force should be combined with one of them if it’s not listed by itself.   Could be Army/Air Force and Navy/Marines.    You could expand a lot to include Infantry, calvary etc 

I like your plan to change the names so they are different in each section - it’s gets confusing sometimes.

and while looking at the expertise, can a few be added that are tied to the Judicial Committees?   I think right now it’s only Justice they can gain by serving while the others have several options.    Some possible ones could be Civil Rights, Constitution, crime, terrorism, immigration- some of these are probably lumped under Justice, but there are different lobbies interested in each,

16 hours ago, Vols21 said:

I like Ted’s idea to change military expertise to Army (or Soldiering or Ground Force).   I think Air Force should be combined with one of them if it’s not listed by itself.   Could be Army/Air Force and Navy/Marines.    You could expand a lot to include Infantry, calvary etc 

I like your plan to change the names so they are different in each section - it’s gets confusing sometimes.

and while looking at the expertise, can a few be added that are tied to the Judicial Committees?   I think right now it’s only Justice they can gain by serving while the others have several options.    Some possible ones could be Civil Rights, Constitution, crime, terrorism, immigration- some of these are probably lumped under Justice, but there are different lobbies interested in each,

Yeah, I've never been happy with how Judicial committee is just Justice.  Civil Rights is an interest, which is different from experience.  The other four you mention aren't their own thing -- they could be under judicial, military, welfare, etc but don't exist as their own experience thing.

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yeah, I've never been happy with how Judicial committee is just Justice.  Civil Rights is an interest, which is different from experience.  The other four you mention aren't their own thing -- they could be under judicial, military, welfare, etc but don't exist as their own experience thing.

idk I kinda like it lowk cause it kinda simulates the crappy committee assignments no one wants but some people get stuck with and some people do to curry favor with leadership. When I got to make committee assignments for minority party members, it was a go-to way to punish a faction

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

idk I kinda like it lowk cause it kinda simulates the crappy committee assignments no one wants but some people get stuck with and some people do to curry favor with leadership. When I got to make committee assignments for minority party members, it was a go-to way to punish a faction

Fair.  I also did add that the Senate Judicial gets to approve Supreme Court nominees.