The Political Lounge

Deep Dive Feedback: Presidential Appointments & Confirmation Process

MrPotatoTed

Just because I am knee deep in CPU rules, there are not currently rules for helping the CPU decide on who to retain in the cabinet.

I do like the current revisions to the rules too!

Also, we need rules for Acting President and their cabinet. Since a VP turned Pres cannot change their cabinet upon assumption of the presidency until they refuse to be Acting President, who gets to name the new cabinet during the second half-term? Should it be the party leader, Senate Majority Leader/President Pro Tempore, or someone else? 

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Just because I am knee deep in CPU rules, there are not currently rules for helping the CPU decide on who to retain in the cabinet.

Also, we need rules for Acting President and their cabinet. Since a VP turned Pres cannot change their cabinet upon assumption of the presidency until they refuse to be Acting President, who gets to name the new cabinet during the second half-term? Should it be the party leader, Senate Majority Leader/President Pro Tempore, or someone else? 

Regarding who the CPU retains:  they technically don't "have" keep anybody.  So when I've run CPU, I've simply followed the rules established for filling a vacant spot...and if it happens that the best candidate is the one who already has the job, so be it (provided that it doesn't put the President over the cabinet retention limit.)  We also list the order of preference/priority (Positions that help with crises first, etc) so if CPU was going to go over the limit, they'd simply stop once they hit the limit.  I believe rules specify "eligible" politicians, so once you've hit the limit, incumbents are no longer "eligible" to stay in their existing job.

Agree that we might need something special for acting Presidents who aren't recognized as the real President.  @vcczar I can draft it, but any thoughts on what it should be?  If an acting President isn't recognized as the "real" President, what should be done when it comes time to shift the cabinet around at midterm?

17 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Here's what I've drafted for Acting Presidents:

If there is an acting President who is not recognized as the “real” President: Once created, positions are appointed by the Senate Majority Leader unless otherwise specified below.  The Senate Majority Leader  may retain up to five incumbent Cabinet, cabinet-level, and ambassador appointees total.  The rest are automatically vacated.  They must name nominees to fill all vacant positions, unless otherwise specified below.  (Moving an incumbent to a new position does not count against the five incumbent limit, but they must pass Senate confirmation again).

20 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Here's what I've drafted for Acting Presidents:

If there is an acting President who is not recognized as the “real” President: Once created, positions are appointed by the Senate Majority Leader unless otherwise specified below.  The Senate Majority Leader  may retain up to five incumbent Cabinet, cabinet-level, and ambassador appointees total.  The rest are automatically vacated.  They must name nominees to fill all vacant positions, unless otherwise specified below.  (Moving an incumbent to a new position does not count against the five incumbent limit, but they must pass Senate confirmation again).

I would add that it is PPT until Senate Majority Leader is created

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Regarding who the CPU retains:  they technically don't "have" keep anybody.  So when I've run CPU, I've simply followed the rules established for filling a vacant spot...and if it happens that the best candidate is the one who already has the job, so be it (provided that it doesn't put the President over the cabinet retention limit.)  We also list the order of preference/priority (Positions that help with crises first, etc) so if CPU was going to go over the limit, they'd simply stop once they hit the limit.  I believe rules specify "eligible" politicians, so once you've hit the limit, incumbents are no longer "eligible" to stay in their existing job.

Agree that we might need something special for acting Presidents who aren't recognized as the real President.  @vcczar I can draft it, but any thoughts on what it should be?  If an acting President isn't recognized as the "real" President, what should be done when it comes time to shift the cabinet around at midterm?

He probably should only appoint if a vacancy occurs. 

40 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Last call!  I'm planning to finish 2.3 today -- after that, it will likely be "locked in place" until early release.  So if you have any final thoughts, now is the time!

Only thing I'm seeing is confirming the "military" / "army" switcheroo for experiences.  Maybe I missed it, did we confirm that a person who is previously General cannot be Admiral, and vice versa. And Seniors can't be bumped down to regular military leaders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 10centjimmy said:

Only thing I'm seeing is confirming the "military" / "army" switcheroo for experiences.  Maybe I missed it, did we confirm that a person who is previously General cannot be Admiral, and vice versa. And Seniors can't be bumped down to regular military leaders. 

Thanks!  If it's not already there, I'll add it.

Status report:  I've got specific rules now for all appointing scenarios (acting President, Continental Congress, Pliable/Passive President, etc), a consolidated explanation of all considerations that need to be made when considering who to appoint, improved CPU rules for appointing (no more taking crises to make lobbies happy!), and CPU rules for who will leave their current job for a new job.

Mostly this is just reorganizing/rewording what was already there.

Substantial changes include...

1)  Specifying who appoints for rare scenarios where it isn't obviously the President.
2)  Presidents now appoint Ambassadors and Generals, etc, as is accurate to real life.
3)  All nominations are made and voted on simultaneously (ambassadors and generals are with Secretaries, etc)
4) Got rid of "bold expertise" for positions.  Now, you get points based off of how many relevant expertises a nominee has (must have at least one)
5)  Added more expertises for most roles
6) Improved CPU rules
7) The limit of 16 years in office for Secretaries is now expanded to include everything but Military positions, and is cumulative.  

I still need to add military appointments, confirmation rules, and points/gains from confirmation.  Taking a break for a bit, but will finish today.  Let me know if there's any feedback!

(Will post what I've written in next post.)

• Like 1

2.3.1 Presidential Appointments:

*Done every half-term, except prior to when Independence is declared.

The President may appoint members of his cabinet, cabinet-level positions, ambassadors, Generals, Admirals, and other notable individuals during this phase – though the exact offices that are available vary depending on which era you are in and which laws have passed.  In 1772, none of these positions exist and each must be created by acts of Congress – as eras advance, more and more offices will become available to create by law and fill by Presidential appointment.  

Each position must be created by either a Congressional legislative proposal signed into law, or by Executive Action.  The only exception is Key Advisor, which can always exist and does not require Congressional approval.

If the Continental Congress exists: Once created, positions are filled by the relevant committee chair.  The Foreign Chair appoints Generals, Admirals, Ambassadors, the Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense.  The Economic Chair appoints the Secretary of Treasury. (If the Continental Congress continues to remain in place for later eras, see the committee list below for which offices to determine which future offices are appointed by which chairs).

These nominations will be considered to be unanimously confirmed unless the nominee has Controversial, in which case it will be put up to a vote before the Continental Congress – the controversial nominee will need 60% of the vote in order to be confirmed, unless otherwise specified by a legislative proposal signed into law.  All appointees remain in office unless an event prompt, military outcome, or random resignation/death forces them out, the faction player/CPU voluntarily removes them either to run for office elsewhere or simply to open the spot to a new nominee, or the Continental Congress is dissolved.

CPU RULES: CPU will voluntarily remove their own appointee from an office if they drop below a 2 in the relevant skill, provided that someone with a 2 or higher in that skill is available.  CPU otherwise follows standard voting and appointing rules, listed below.

If the Continental Congress no longer exists, the Presidency exists, and the firing precedent has not been set yet: Once created, positions are appointed by the President unless otherwise specified below.  All appointees remain in office unless an event prompt, military outcome, or random resignation/death forces them out, the faction player/CPU voluntarily removes them either to run for office elsewhere or simply to open the spot to a new nominee, or they are fired as a legislative proposal signed into law.   Note:  once a President takes the “Set Precedence for Firing Cabinet Members” executive action, the firing precedent is set.  This precedent is automatically set for post-1800 start dates.

Note: There is an executive action that sets a precedent for Presidents firing cabinet officials (which historically took place late in the John Adams administration.  For games that begin prior to this historical precedent, all appointments will be “for life” unless an event calls for one to be fired.  Cabinet officers cannot be replaced and can only resign by player’s choice, via event, or random retirement or death,  until the president enacts the precedent for removing cabinet members.

If the Continental Congress no longer exists, the Presidency exists, and the firing precedent has been set: Once created, positions are appointed by the President unless otherwise specified below.  The President may retain up to five incumbent Cabinet, cabinet-level, and ambassador appointees total.  The rest are automatically vacated.  They must name nominees to fill all vacant positions, unless otherwise specified below.  (Moving an incumbent to a new position does not count against the five incumbent limit, but they must pass Senate confirmation again).

If there is an acting President who is not recognized as the “real” President: Incumbent appointees will remain in office All appointees remain in office unless an event prompt, military outcome, or random resignation/death forces them out, the faction player/CPU voluntarily removes them either to run for office elsewhere or simply to open the spot to a new nominee, or they are fired as a legislative proposal signed into law.   If a vacancy occurs, the acting President will make a nomination to fill the office.  Once created, positions are appointed by the Senate Majority Leader (or President Pro Tempore if SenMajLead doesn’t exist) unless otherwise specified below.  The Senate Majority Leader  may retain up to five incumbent Cabinet, cabinet-level, and ambassador appointees total.  The rest are automatically vacated.  They must name nominees to fill all vacant positions, unless otherwise specified below.  (Moving an incumbent to a new position does not count against the five incumbent limit, but they must pass Senate confirmation again).

If the President would normally make all appointments, but the President is Pliable or Passive and the President’s party’s Senate Leader has Iron Fist:  If the President is pliable, there is a 50% chance the Iron-Fisted same-party Senate Leader makes a nomination.  If the President is passive, 75%.  If the President is both pliable and passive, 100%.  Roll for each available office.   Regardless of who makes the nomination, only five incumbent Cabinet, cabinet-level, and ambassador appointees can be retained.   They must name nominees to fill all vacant positions, unless otherwise specified below.  (Moving an incumbent to a new position does not count against the five incumbent limit, but they must pass Senate confirmation again).

Cabinet offices will not exist at all at the 1772 Era of Independence start date and will have to be created. The rules for the Era of Independence differ from the standard rules. Once these offices are created by the Continental Congress or via event, the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs/Military Committee will nominate all of the Generals, Admirals, Ambassadors, and the Sec of State and Sec of War. The Chairman of the Economics Committee will nominate Sec of Treasury. Delegates will then vote to confirm the nominee. If the vote fails, then the incumbent in this office stays in office. If there is no incumbent, then the President of the CC will choose whomever he or she wishes. Office holder requirements for these cabinet positions will follow the standard rules below. 

APPOINTING CABINET, CABINET-LEVEL, AND AMBASSADORS:

Regardless of who appoints them, all appointees other than military cabinet members and cabinet-level officers  must meet the following requirements

• at least 1 admin ability 
  • A maximum of 16 years as a Secretary, cabinet-level officer, and/or ambassador, total.  (Military service does not count against this 16 year period)Four-term max limit for cabinet or 16-year total, whichever comes first, which in most cases will be the same unless term rules change. Era of Independence does not have terms or term limits, but they can be replaced every two years by the appropriate committee chairs.
  • Relevant expertise (see below)
  • Additionally, a politiciancabinet member with “incompetent” cannot accept any appointment cabinet positions, while a politician with “easily overwhelmed” will decline an appointment cabinet spot 50% of the time. These restrictions are only lifted if no one else is available. These same restrictions apply to incumbent appointees.he same goes for reappointed cabinet members.
  • A politician who has previously been fired or quit due to an event or botched implementation roll cannot be appointed to any office again.the cabinet again.

If the President made a Presidential Promise regarding a nomination and then does not fulfill it, ideology enthusiasm for that faction drops by two points.

A President (or other appointer) may choose cabinet members from the opposing party – however, they can only accept if they are the President’s ideology, moderate, marked as “can party switch”, marked as “can be independent”, have integrity, or they are the incumbent cabinet member being offered the opportunity to remain in their current position.  The cross-party nominee cannot have Controversial.  In all cases, the nominee can not be more than one ideology slot away from the opposite party President.  IE, a moderate Red may agree to work for a liberal Blue, but will not work for a Progressive Blue.    A President can have no more than one cross-party cabinet member in one of the top four positions (State, War/Defense, Attorney General, Treasury), and no more than three cross-party cabinet members/cabinet-level officers/ambassadors in total, unless the President is marked as “can be independent.”

NOMINATION CONSIDERATIONS:

ADMIN LEVEL: During the lingering phase, confirmed appointees may impact a meter.  The higher the admin ability, the more positive the impact may be – lower-skilled administrators can harm the meters. 

Here are the cabinet officers and meters affected, which should be applied during the lingering phase. : 

• Revenue-Budget - Sec of Treasury,Sec of Commerce, President of the Bank, Key Advisor to the President
  • Economic - Sec of Treasury, Chairman of Fed Reserve, Manufacturing, Infrastructure, President of the Bank, Key Advisor to the President
  • Various Foreign Relations (unless you have an active war against that country) - Sec of State & UN Amb, Key Advisor to the President.  (Ambassadors also impact the relationship with the country they’re appointed to, during a separate phase)
  • Military Preparedness - Sec of War/Defense/Navy,  Sec of Homeland Security, Director of National Intelligence/CIA Director, Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Advisor, Senior General (or equivalent), Senior Admiral (or equivalent),  Key Advisor to the President
  • Domestic - Att Gen, HUD, Labor,Religion,  Key Advisor to the President
  • Honest Government -- Media, Postmaster General (negative impact from PG), and a calculation on whether most elected and appointed officials have integrity vs. controversial
  • Quality of Life - Health, Education, Agriculture, Peace and Humanitarianism, Welfare, Technology, Key Advisor to the President
  • Planet’s Health - Energy, Science, Environment, Interior, Key Advisor
  • Party Preference  - Postmaster General, Key Advisor

TRAITS: Additionally, “efficient” makes an administrator twice as impactful on their meters (for better or worse), “egghead” appointees generate extra points for both the egghead and President factions, and certain traits are especially useful or harmful for certain positions.  For example, Bookkeepers can make great Secretaries of the Treasury – but you won’t want a Numberfudger in that role.

POINTS AND EXPERIENCE: In addition to ensuring the nominee has a high enough admin level and potentially the right traits for the role, you’ll also want to consider whether they have the right expertise for a position.  Here is the list of required experience for each position.  Each nominee must have at least one expertise within the parentheses for their role.  Each expertise beyond the first is worth +50 points to the President.

Sec of State (Army, Naval, Foreign Affairs, Business, Trade, Media)

Sec of Treasury (Economics, Trade, Business) 

Sec of Defense (Army, Naval, Foreign Affairs, Technology)

Attorney General (Justice, Welfare)

Sec of the Interior (Energy, Environment, Business, Agriculture)

Sec of Agriculture (Agriculture, Business, Energy, Environment, Healthcare, Labor, Science, Trade)

Sec of Labor (Business, Labor, Welfare, Agriculture, Economics, Education, Justice, Technology)

Sec of Commerce (Trade, Business, Economics, Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, Labor)

Sec of Health & HS (Healthcare, Business, Welfare, Environment, Housing, Labor, Science)

Sec of Education (Education, Business, Welfare)

Sec of Energy (Energy, Technology, Business, Environment, Agriculture, Science)

Sec of HUD (Housing, Welfare, Business, Energy, Environment, Healthcare)

Sec of VA (Army, Naval, Healthcare, Business)

Sec of Transportation (Transportation, Business, Trade, Energy, Environment, Foreign Affairs, Trade)

Sec of the Navy (Naval, Trade, Foreign Affairs)

Sec of Homeland Security (Justice, Army, Naval, Foreign Affairs, Energy)

Sec of Peace and Humanitarianism (Justice, Media, Welfare, Healthcare, Agriculture, Education, Environment, Foreign Affairs, Housing, Labor, Army, Naval, Technology)

Sec of Science (Science, Technology, Business, Agriculture, Education, Energy, Environment, Healthcare)

Sec of Environment (Environment, Science, Business, Agriculture, Energy)

Sec of Manufacturing (Business, Labor, Technology, Trade, Economics, Energy)

Sec of Welfare (Welfare, Healthcare, Labor, Business, Agriculture, Economics, Education, Environment, Housing, Justice)

Sec of Technology (Technology, Science, Business, Media, Education, Energy, Healthcare, Housing, Labor)

Sec of Infrastructure (Technology, Trade, Business, Transportation, Economics, Energy, Environment, Housing)

Sec of Religion (Media, Welfare, Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, Education, Environment, Justice) 

Sec of Media (Media, Business, Justice)

Postmaster General:  [Must have Kingmaker trait.  Cannot have integrity, 10% more likely to have positive impact on party preference and negative impact on honest gov if they have controversial.  Must be from President’s Party.  May be considered Lower Cabinet or Cabinet-Level Officer depending on legislation/executive action.]

Director of National Intelligence/CIA Director (Foreign Affairs, Military, Naval, Technology, Justice) [Note: Has no term-limit. Can be removed by president and replaced at Appointment time, but at a 25% chance - mil prep, unless the officer has incompetent, easily overwhelmed, or is older than 70].  Does not count toward the limit of five retained officers.

FBI Director (Justice) [Appointed to 10-year terms. Can be reappointed with 10% chance of +1 dom stab, but also a 10% chance - honest gov.  Does not count toward the limit of five retained officers.]

UN Ambassador (Foreign Affairs, Business, Trade, Media)

Chairman of the Federal Reserve (Economics, Trade, Business). 

President of the US Bank (Economics). [This office must go to a faction that controls the Wall Street Lobby, if it exists.]

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Army, Naval).  [Must be promoted from General or Admiral and must have Military Leader trait.  (If none exist, military leader trait is waived).]

National Security Advisor (Foreign Affairs, Army, or Naval)

Key Advisor to the President (Requires trait “Kingmaker”). Optional position, unless the president was a protege to a kingmaker prior to his or her election, in which case the kingmaker takes the spot, so long as he or she is not holding another office. Must be from the President's party.  Note: This is the most important position in the federal government, potentially impacting every meter.  It is better to leave this position vacant than to appoint someone incompetent.

All Ambassadors: (Foreign Affairs, Business, Trade).

LOBBIES, INTERESTS AND ENTHUSIASM: Certain lobbies and interests want to control certain government posts.  Whenever a cabinet member is nominated and confirmed or re-appointed from a faction with the matching lobby or interest card, the enthusiasm of each faction holding that lobby card has a 25% chance of improving by 1.  (For example, if three factions have the Big Agriculture card, and the Secretary of Agriculture comes from one of those factions, all three factions have a 25% chance of improving their enthusiasm towards the President’s party – roll individually).  Any lobbies or interests that don’t get at least one of their preferred cabinet\posts have a 25% chance of decreasing enthusiasm by 1 for each faction that holds the ignored card.  If there are no cabinet posts available that match a lobby or interest’s preferences, there is no penalty (for example, if only State through Attorney General exist, there is no roll for whether Big Agriculture is upset because they are not actively interested in those roles.)

Secretary of State: Globalist, Isolationist, Big Corporations, Military-Industrial Complex, Welfare, Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Reformists

Secretary of Treasury: Big Corporation, Wall Street, Free Trade, Protectionist, Welfare, Reformists, Labor Union

Secretary of War: Big Oil & Gas, Globalist, Isolationist, Law & Order, Human Rights, Military-Industrial, Technology, Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Reformists

Attorney General: Big Corporations, Wall Street, Private Education, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalist, Law and Order, Human Rights, Labor Union, Welfare, Civil Rights, LW Activists, RW Activists, Reformists

Secretary of Navy: Big Oil & Gas, Globalist, Isolationist, Law & Order, Human Rights, Military-Industrial, Technology, Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Reformists

Postmaster General (if cabinet post): Big Corporations, Globalists, Transportation, Expansionists, Reformists

Secretary of Interior: Big Agriculture, Big Corporations8, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Isolationists, Science, Transportation, Expansionists, Nationalists, Reformists

Secretary of Agriculture: Big Agriculture, Big Corporation, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Science,  Free Trade, Protectionists, Expansionists, Nationalists, Reformists

Secretary of Commerce: Big Business, Wall Street, Globalists, Labor Unions, Technology, Free Trade, Protectionists, Transportation, Reformists

Secretary of Labor: Big Business, Labor Union, Technology, Free Trade, Protectionists, Transportation, Welfare, Public Education, Public Healthcare, Public Housing, Civil Rights, LW Activists, RW Activists, Reformists

Secretary of Health & Human Services: Big Corporations, Public Education, Environmentalist, Globalist, Big Pharma, Public Healthcare, Public Housing, Human Rights, Labor Unions, Science, Technology, Welfare, Civil Rights, LW Activists, RW Activists, Theocrats, Reformists

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Big Corporations, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Public Housing, Law and Order, Human Rights, Technology, Transportation, Welfare, Civil Rights, Reformists

Secretary of Transportation: Big Agriculture, Big Corporations, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Globalists, Public Housing, Military-Industrial Complex, Technology, Free Trade, Transportation, Labor Unions, Expansionists, Nationalists, Reformists

Secretary of Energy:  Big Agriculture, Private Education, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Globalists, Isolationists, Public Housing, Military-Industrial Complex, Science, Technology, Expansionists, Nationalists, Reformists

Secretary of Education: Public Education, Private Education, Globalists, Public Housing, Labor Unions, LW Media, RW Media, Science, Technology, Welfare, Civil Rights, LW Activists, RW Activists, Theocrats, Reformists

Secretary of Veterans Affairs:  Public Education, Private Education, Big Pharma, Public Healthcare, Public Housing, Military-Industrial Complex, Welfare, Civil Rights, Reformists

Secretary of Homeland Security: Globalists, Isolationists, Law & Order, Human Rights, Military Industrial Complex, Technology, Transportation, Civil Rights, Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, LW Activists, RW Activists, Reformists

Secretary of Peace & Humanitarianism: Environmentalists, Globalists, Isolationists, Public Healthcare, Public Housing, Law and Order, Human Rights, Military Industrial, Science, Technology, Free Trade, Welfare, Civil Rights, Nationalists, Pacifists, Theocrats, Reformists

Secretary of Science: Big Agriculture, Big Business, Public Education, Private Education, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Big Pharma, Public Healthcare, Human Rights, Science, Technology, Transportation, Welfare, Reformists, Theocrats

Secretary of Environment: Big Agriculture, Big Corporations, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Isolationists, Science, Technology, Public Housing, Public Healthcare, Expansionists, Nationalists, LW Activists, RW Activists, Reformists

Secretary of Manufacturing: Big Business, Wall Street, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Labor Unions, Technology, Transportation, Protectionists, Free Trade, Reformists

Secretary of Welfare: Public Education, Public House, Public Healthcare, Human Rights, Law and Order, Welfare, Civil Rights, Pacifists, LW Activists, RW Activists, Theocrats, Reformists

Secretary of Technology: Big Corporations, Private Education, Big Oil and Gas, Environmentalists, Globalists, Big Pharma, Law and Order, Human Rights, LW Media, RW Media, Military-Industrial Complex, Science, Technology, Transportation, Civil Rights, Reformists

Secretary of Infrastructure: Big Corporations, Big Oil & Gas, Environmentalists, Globalists, Isolationists, Public Housing, Labor Unions, Military-Industrial Complex, Technology, Transportation, Expansionists, Nationalists, Reformists

Secretary of Religion: Private Education, Globalists, Isolationists, Human Rights, Welfare, Civil Rights, Pacifists, LW Activists, RW Activists, Reformists, Theocrats

Secretary of Media: Big Corporations, LW Media, RW Media, Technology, Reformists, LW Activists, RW Activists

Whenever a cabinet level  office is nominated and confirmed from a faction with the matching lobby or interest card, the enthusiasm of each faction holding that lobby card has a 10% chance of improving by 1.   Any lobbies or interests that don’t get at least one of their preferred cabinet level interests has a 10% chance of decreasing enthusiasm by 1 for each faction that holds the ignored card

Director of National Intelligence/CIA Director: Globalist, Isolationist, Law and Order, Human RIghts, Military-Industrial Complex, Technology.

FBI Director: Law and Order, Human Rights

UN Ambassador: Globalist, Human Rights, Military-Industrial Complex,

Chairman of the Federal Reserve: Big Corporations, Wall Street, Free Trade, Protectionist,

US Bank President: Big Corporations, Wall Street, Free Trade, Protectionist, Big Agriculture

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: Globalist, Isolationist, Military-Industrial Complex,

National Security Advisor: Big Oil & Gas, Globalist, Isolationists, Law and Order, Military-Industrial Complex, Technology

Postmaster General: All lobbies and interests

Key Advisor to the President: All lobbies and interests

CPU APPOINTMENT RULES:  CPU will prioritize filling Key Advisor, then positions that can help with crises, then the top secretary positions, then the lower cabinet positions, then cabinet-level officers, then ambassadors.  Ambassadors will be filled from lowest relations to highest.

For Key Advisor, CPU will only appoint someone with at least a 3 Admin.  If no one is available at 3 or higher, CPU will leave the position vacant.

For positions that can impact an active crisis (including Defense and Naval during war) , CPU will prioritize putting the eligible politician with the highest admin level in the position regardless of all other considerations.  Ties will be broken in favor of those with efficient, then satisfying the most lobbies/factions, then most relevant expertises, then appointer’s party, then appointer’s faction.  If still tied, random.

For all other positions, CPU will prioritize pleasing the most lobbies/factions, then most relevant expertises, then appointer’s party, then appointer’s faction, then highest admin level.

The CPU will replace the FBI director if they are LW Pop or RW Pop President 75% of the time. Otherwise, they’ll do so only 50% of the time if the director is of the other party and 25% of the time if they are of the same party but different ideology. 

ACCEPTING THE NOMINATION: Senate officers, House officers, and SC justices have a 10% chance of accepting  a top cabinet offer (State, Treasury, Attorney General, War/Defense), except for Sec of State, which they’ll accept 25% of the time.  They will never accept a lower cabinet, cabinet-level, or ambassador nomination.

Senators (other than Senate officers) and Governors have a 90% chance of accepting a top cabinet offer, 75% chance of accepting a lower cabinet, 50% chance of accepting a cabinet-level officer, and 10% chance of accepting an ambassador nomination (other than UN Ambassador, which is a cabinet-level position.)

Representatives will always accept a nomination, unless they are a House officer (see above).  Generals, Admirals, and other military officers will always accept a nomination, unless they are disharmonious (50% chance).  Naturally, a sitting Vice President cannot accept a nomination.

Individuals on a career track will accept cabinet offices 100% of the time, cabinet-level officers 75% of the time, and ambassador or military nominations 50% of the time.  If confirmed, they are immediately withdrawn from the career track and receive whatever benefits they’ve earned so far (rounded down to whichever career track milestone they’ve most recently passed).

Top cabinet officers will only accept retaining or moving to another top cabinet officer.  Lower cabinet officers will accept retaining or moving up to a top cabinet officer 100% of the time.  They will accept moving to a cabinet-level office 50% of the time, and an ambassadorship 25% of the time.  Cabinet-level officer and ambassadors will accept all nominations.

Human players can choose whether to accept or decline a nomination regardless of the appointee’s current office, other than Vice President.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

57 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

Is there still a roll for easily overwhelmed for Ambassadors without FA but with other relevant xp?

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm leaning toward just making foreign affairs a requirement for the role, not allowing non-foreign affairs to be appointed.

Alternatively, I might make it one of a list of possible experiences (say Foreign affairs, business, military or something), but I lean towards requiring foreign affairs.

Question for the group:

How do we feel about letting lobbies want to influence ambassador and military appointments as well?

Maybe something like:

• Ambassadors: Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Globalists, Isolationists

• Military Positions: Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Globalists, Isolationists, Military-Industrial Complex

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm leaning toward just making foreign affairs a requirement for the role, not allowing non-foreign affairs to be appointed.

Alternatively, I might make it one of a list of possible experiences (say Foreign affairs, business, military or something), but I lean towards requiring foreign affairs.

Foreign Affairs and/or Trade would be good prereqs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Question for the group:

How do we feel about letting lobbies want to influence ambassador and military appointments as well?

Maybe something like:

• Ambassadors: Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Globalists, Isolationists

• Military Positions: Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Globalists, Isolationists, Military-Industrial complex

For Ambassadors, probably good to have free trade, too. I would hesitate to give the same destabilizing factor if the lobby isn't represented, maybe there's just bonus/malus points for the selected faction

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Question for the group:

Maybe something like:

• Military Positions: Expansionists, Nationalists, Pacifists, Globalists, Isolationists, Military-Industrial Complex

I think I'm going to tone the military one down to just "Military-Industrial Complex."  They're the only ones I can see actually actively invested in who the next Generals will be.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Question for the group:

Maybe something like:

I like the idea personally, especially for Ambassadors ( though I might also add free trade as I imagine that more and cheaper international grace is very important to that lobby)

Edited by Murrman104
  • Like 1