The Political Lounge

Meter Interpretation

Just a question for those leading a playtest, how should we effectively read the rules (because even with plain writing, we all have different interpretations)

@MrPotatoTed @Rezi @Ich_bin_Tyler 

For me, I've been applying each of the bonuses or malluses (after calculating net changes) on top of each other using candidate ideology, as I assume that is the "pure" way of meter applying.

Meters in 1916 (in 2.8, so elections for the 1918 midterms are around the corner)

• Rev-Budget: 7. Cons +1, Progs -1
  • Econ-Stab: 7. Nothing
  • Mil-Prep: 8. Nothing
  • Dom-Stab: 7. Nothing
  • Honest-Gov: 5. Nothing
  • Quality of Life: 7. Libs +1
  • Planet's Health: 8. LW Pop +1
  • Party Pref: R+3
  • LW Pop +1
  • Trads +1 Blue
  • RW Pop +1 Blue

Hypothetical AL Gov election

William F Aldrich (Mod)

• Outcome of meters is +3 (party pref). 

Gov. Charles Henderson (LW Pop)

• Incumbent is +1
  • Has media card is +1
  • +2 from meters (being LW Pop)
  • +5 from AL state bias
  • -1 for president's party midterm penalty

Random Die roll was 3 Aldrich, 4 Henderson.
Henderson wins 13-6.

This makes sense?

Edited by Arkansas Progressive
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Just a question for those leading a playtest, how should we effectively read the rules (because even with plain writing, we all have different interpretations)

@MrPotatoTed @Rezi @Ich_bin_Tyler 

For me, I've been applying each of the bonuses or malluses (after calculating net changes) on top of each other using candidate ideology, as I assume that is the "pure" way of meter applying.

Meters in 1916 (in 2.8, so elections for the 1918 midterms are around the corner)

• Rev-Budget: 7. Cons +1, Progs -1
  • Econ-Stab: 7. Nothing
  • Mil-Prep: 8. Nothing
  • Dom-Stab: 7. Nothing
  • Honest-Gov: 5. Nothing
  • Quality of Life: 7. Libs +1
  • Planet's Health: 8. LW Pop +1
  • Party Pref: R+3
  • LW Pop +1
  • Trads +1 Blue
  • RW Pop +1 Blue

Hypothetical AL Gov election

William F Aldrich (Mod)

• Outcome of meters is +3 (party pref). 

Gov. Charles Henderson (LW Pop)

• Incumbent is +1
  • Has media card is +1
  • +2 from meters (being LW Pop)
  • +5 from AL state bias
  • -1 for president's party midterm penalty

Random Die roll was 3 Aldrich, 4 Henderson.
Henderson wins 13-6.

This makes sense?

Just glancing over this, the one notable difference is that Henderson would only get +1 from being LW Pop in my rules, because I don't give ideological enthusiasm bonuses unless it's also the state ideology, as it makes 0 sense for a LW Populist to get a boost in Alabama, no matter how much national Democrats like LW Pops.

2 hours ago, Rezi said:

Just glancing over this, the one notable difference is that Henderson would only get +1 from being LW Pop in my rules, because I don't give ideological enthusiasm bonuses unless it's also the state ideology, as it makes 0 sense for a LW Populist to get a boost in Alabama, no matter how much national Democrats like LW Pops.

Yeah, I do it Rezi's way.  I think that's how V said to do it forever ago.

With the added caveat that I calculate faction ideology enthusiasm from the meters at the end of the lingering phase, not right before elections.

That doesn't mean that I'm right of course, that's just how I do it.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

15 hours ago, Rezi said:

13 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yeah, I do it Rezi's way.  I think that's how V said to do it forever ago.

With the added caveat that I calculate faction ideology enthusiasm from the meters at the end of the lingering phase, not right before elections.

That doesn't mean that I'm right of course, that's just how I do it.

I mean that is what happens in the presidential elections, but not from meters. The candidate gets a +1 for having an ideology matching the state's liked ideology

6 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

I mean that is what happens in the presidential elections, but not from meters. The candidate gets a +1 for having an ideology matching the state's liked ideology

It's both, I believe.

For example, imagine that Conservative enthusiasm is +3 Red, and that a state has a preference for Conservatives.

A Red Conservative candidate would get the +3 from enthusiasm, plus a 75% chance of +1 for matching preferred ideology.

A Blue Conservative candidate would NOT get the +3 from enthusiasm because Conservatives prefer red.  However, they WOULD still get 75% of +1 for matching preferred ideology.  

Think of Joe Manchin, the closest thing we have to a Conservative blue in modern terms, winning in West Virginia. 

8 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

It's both, I believe.

For example, imagine that Conservative enthusiasm is +3 Red, and that a state has a preference for Conservatives.

A Red Conservative candidate would get the +3 from enthusiasm, plus a 75% chance of +1 for matching preferred ideology.

A Blue Conservative candidate would NOT get the +3 from enthusiasm because Conservatives prefer red.  However, they WOULD still get 75% of +1 for matching preferred ideology.  

Think of Joe Manchin, the closest thing we have to a Conservative blue in modern terms, winning in West Virginia. 

Yea I get that, annoyingly I did *probably* forget to set up the 75% columns in the elections (this was when the state bias matches were guaranteed)

• Like 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Yeah, I'd like to really rework how elections work in general, but I don't think I'm going to get that far before September 19th (especially with midterms AND my wife's birthday both happening this weekend, ha)

4 day crunch time isn't good. Figured I bring up meters now so I could do it right, since we're almost at the midterms in 1918

• Like 1