The Political Lounge

Monarchy Poll

vcczar

Monarchy Poll  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK abolish the monarchy?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but part of me would be happy to keep it going since I like watch the big monarchial events like coronations, weddings, funerals, historic messages, etc.
    • No, even if I admit the monarchy is mostly impractical, expensive, and possibly gets in the way of better government.
    • No.
  2. 2. If the monarchy is abolished at some point in the 21st century, will the government make a drastic change?

• No. They'll just have the Prime Minister system as it is except the PM will handle much of what the King had handled.
    • They'll create a largely ceremonial president who will be sort of like a low budget version of what the monarch did.
    • They'll keep the PM and Parliamanet but create a powerful president to be executive.
    • They'll toss away the Prime Minister, or revert the PM into something more like the Speaker of the House or Sen Maj Ldr, and appear more like the US model of President and Congress.
    • Something else. [Mention below]

30 minutes ago, pilight said:

Not British, so I don't feel qualified to tell them what form of government they should have

This is my official stance too, but I’m considering what I’d believe if I lived there. Generally, I won’t weigh in on foreign affairs like this but I feel I have a better understanding of the UK than any other nation outside the US

As an American, I don’t care about the royal family. 1776 made it so we don’t have to worry about their royalty. But if I were a Brit, I wouldn’t see any point in abolishing it at this point. Though we’ll see if the death of popular Elizabeth changes things. I don’t see any of the others being nearly as well liked.

I enjoy the British royals as a celebrity family that I'm vaguely aware of.  I care more about them than I care about the Kardashians, but less than I care about the family of deer that live in my backyard.

I'd leave it up to the people of Britain, who mostly seem happy enough to keep them in place.  As a moderate, card-carrying member of the establishment, I always want to know what exactly the plan would be before we upend the applecart, so to speak.

• Based 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I enjoy the British royals as a celebrity family that I'm vaguely aware of.  I care more about them than I care about the Kardashians, but less than I care about the family of deer that live in my backyard.

I'd leave it up to the people of Britain, who mostly seem happy enough to keep them in place.  As a moderate, card-carrying member of the establishment, I always want to know what exactly the plan would be before we upend the applecart, so to speak.

Me when I see a raccoon/possum in my backyard: 

GeorgeMcGovern.jpeg

me when I see a groundhog in my backyard: 

GeorgePatton.png

was too lazy to find actual images but I think it gets the point across

• Haha 1

There was a report out that, due to the closures in observance of the Queen's death, the two weeks off people in the UK get for it, and the cost of the coronation ceremony for the new King, that all in all, the monarchy will have pushed the UK into a "technical" recession due to falling GDP for two consecutive quarters (obviously other factors, such as energy costs, are also squeezing the UK economy but the billions of dollars the UK is spending on royal ceremonies is what pushes it over the edge). That a country would do this to their own economy for a mostly ceremonial monarchy strikes me as deeply unserious, but they have the right to continue being silly, I suppose. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patine said:

So, I ask again, could this change please be made to show respect for the subject and to main accuracy, and not false and bad stereotype. I know the poll-maker has shown in the past to believing inaccuracies and errors about the Commonwealth Constitutional Monarchy and how it works, which may be understandable, as a root of belief, given where he lives and many of his personal ideas. He has also admitted to not understanding Canadian, or British, politics nearly as much as American politics. But, as someone who lives in a Commonwealth Realm and knows how this works, I am requesting, in all good faith, this simple change, again, as a matter of respect for the subject matter and accuracy, things that should be very important to a professor.

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think the post, "under review," has hung long enough. It's a simple matter of, as I said, respect for the subject matter and accuracy on the issue, both of which should be very important to a professor in good standing, like the poll-maker. It's starting to feel almost like the poll-maker wishes to make a snub or subtle insult, although I do hope I am just misreading there. In any case, this should be addressed, and ignoring it does not make the poll-maker come across with the best of intentions, and thus I am concerned.

This is not a classroom. This is a forum. Anyone can make their own polls, anyone can make their own threads and have themselves be heard. No one has to listen to demands from somebody to change a poll they made simply because they think another answer would be superior. Go make an offshoot poll if you think that is important. 

On the second topic - your post had been up for around 50 minutes, not even an hour, before we were able to look at it. I was on the road all of today, Vcczar has abstained from approving or denying your posts at all, and the other mods hadn't gotten to it either. It's not that deep. No one's out to get you. Certainly not V, who I doubt reads your posts at all. You wouldn't have to wait if you wouldn't have acted the way you did months ago. This is taking time out of our days as well. None of us wants to be doing this. But this is the compromise that we agreed upon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

Please allow me to clarify something. Since you brought up, "classroom," there are two posters on this forum who typically go into lectoral and didactic tones when making many threads  - @vcczar and myself. I also do so in RL - and I'd be damned certain so does vcczar. vcczar is the only poll-maker I ever ask for corrections on his polls for accuracy purposes - you can check (maybe some of Anthony Burgoyne's, too, back on 270soft) - but I only restrict such a thing to him because of his academic credentials. It's actually a form of respect and recognition. There have been other polls by other poll-makers, I have asked for corrections on - moreso back on 270soft, but a few here - but those were because of offensive and/or repugnant options, or ones that tried to force disingenuous views, manipulatively. Just to clear that up.

I don’t believe that your critiques comes across as signs of respect to your intended audience.

We don’t usually make demands of each other here.  It’s a place people come to enjoy themselves, perhaps exchange ideas, but not to receive homework assignments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I don’t believe that your critiques comes across as signs of respect to your intended audience.

We don’t usually make demands of each other here.  It’s a place people come to enjoy themselves, perhaps exchange ideas, but not to receive homework assignments.

Especially as often as this used to happen… if this was a rarity perhaps the harassment could be a form of respect. But I recall quite well the clogging of AMPU threads, all polls done by Vcczar. It’s fine to point out mistakes or even respectfully critique. But I think all of us remember how prevalent it was, and how the same kind of demeanor is seen here. It’s not one of respect.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Begging me for what? I was done this conversation, and would have been done earlier were it not for MrPotatoTed's belicose two-bits. There is no need for begging.

Shit, that's my fault.  I forgot you don't like it when people respond to your posts.  My apologies, it won't happen again.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Patine said:

There are also a number of subsidiary issues and concerns for the 15 Commonwealth Realms (and the 25 Territories, Dependencies, and Nations in Free Association of the UK, Australia, and New Zealand) other than head-of-state and form of Government (and reprinting money, and reissuing and redesigning heraldry, and changing the names of tonnes of institutions, creating new seals and letterheads, and re-writing every damned statute and other act of legislation, letters patent, and orders in council) if the Monarchy were abolished. First, would the Nobility, and the Knights of the Garter, the Thistle, Bath, Saint Patrick, etc., be abolished outright alongside the Monarchy, or keep their titles in, "prestige," like Italian and German nobles in the modern day (such as Zha Zha Gabore's last ex-husband)? Second, what would happen to the art, treasures, and other very valuable items of the Royal Family, and certain estates and businesses, that belong to Royals in being Royals, but do not legally belong to the British Government? And, would all employees of the Royal Family just be mass delivered pink slips (which would be kind of cruel), or would some other accommodation be made for them? Would Prince Andrew, Duke of York (becoming Mr. Andrew Windsor) face formal trial for his lurid crimes, with no protection? What would happen to the Anglican Communion, the biggest Protestant denomination in the world (and the one I was raised and baptised into), which not only has significant membership in the 15 Commonwealth Realms, but in the U.S., the Republic of Ireland, many African countries (think Desmond Tutu), the Southern Cone (Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay), and through schisms of Catholic and Lutheran groups entering Communion with Canterbury, in Germany and the Low Countries, a city in Spain, the Baltic States, Finland, and Sweden, and the Philippines - a denomination that Bendict XVI has already attempted vigorously during his pontificate to re-annex into the Roman Catholic Church?

image.jpeg.bf440b9b5a4dddacc2ef16a208555f4b.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Based 1