The Political Lounge

Transporting Migrant Poll

vcczar

Transporting Migrant Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of Govs Abbott and DeSantis transporting migrants to Blue states + DC?

2. 2. Do you think these actions will help either Governor in the 2024 election should they run for president?

• It will more likely hurt them in both the primaries and general
    • It will more likely help them in both the primary and general
    • It will more likely help in the primaries but hurt in the general
  3. 3. Should Congress pass a law making it illegal for one state to transport people to another state without the receiving state's permission?

4. 4. Should Blue-state governor's respond in kind?

• They should transport homeless people or something like that.
    • They should pay demographics that these states would like least to relocate to these states, such as the twinkiest twinks, anyone named Muhammad, and Wiccans, etc.
    • They should just send bags of excrement or garbage, or a lifeitme supply of Easter Peeps.
    • Something else.
    • No
  5. 5. Should more Red State governors follow Desantis's and Abbott's actions?

6. 6. If you were a Governor of a Blue state, how would you respond to receiving migrants from Southern states?

• Embrace the population growth, which could help increased the state's Electoral Votes over time, as well as add another dynamic to the state's community.
    • Stick to rhetoric because I don't know what else I could do.
    • Sue the states sending the migrants and hope a judge forces the states to take them back.
    • Other (mention below)

Immigration is just another long line of issues where the elitists have gotten exposed (guns, COVID restrictions, "climate change," etc). The peasants should have to deal with the problems by drastically altering their lives while the elites live their cushy lives and don't have to worry about their actions.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Based 1

For other: actually do the decent thing and try to provide care for people in need rather than kidnap and ship them thousands of miles away under false pretense.  

This is disgusting theater that accomplishes nothing.  There are people's lives in the balance and you want to score points on fox, congrats. Maybe invest in social services instead of spending taxpayer money on cross country flights and bus transit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

I actually don't love equating Abbott's approach to DeSantis', what Abbott did was get undocumented immigrants' informed consent to send them to sanctuary cities. Yes it was a stunt for optics, but also, it shouldn't be controversial to ask cities with sanctuary policies to act as a sanctuary. Texas is on the frontline of the border crisis and it is overworked, with asylum courts in Dallas and Houston denying the overwhelming majority of asylum applications, whereas in NYC, they approve over 70% of their asylum applications. Letting an undocumented immigrant who crosses the border into Texas where they're more than likely to be denied asylum and paying for their travel to a city where they can double or triple their odds of getting to stay in this country might hand Republicans a cheap culture war win, but it is substantively good for the undocumented immigrants in question.

I agree with this basically. Not a fan of what DeSantis did but I don't think Abbott did anything actually wrong. 

I approve of the stunt because if this is what it takes to get people to start taking the border, whether it be more security, immigration reform, etc. seriously, then I think it could potentially be positive. President Biden should be taking the situation more seriously than he already is, because as far as I can tell, he's just ignoring it. 

• Like 2
  • Based 2

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Immigration is just another long line of issues where the elitists have gotten exposed (guns, COVID restrictions, "climate change," etc). The peasants should have to deal with the problems by drastically altering their lives while the elites live their cushy lives and don't have to worry about their actions.

replace "elitist" with "bourgeoisie" and "peasants" with "proletariat" and jvikings has become a distributist

• Like 1

The fact that DeSantis said he would have preferred to send the migrants back to Mexico when they were almost all from Venezuela shows me exactly how much time he spent actually considering any alternatives that weren't sickening political stunts.

For question 2, I actually suspect that it will have no impact at all, as most things don't.  My political beliefs have not changed, and I doubt Republican beliefs have changed either.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I wish it wasn't that controversial to support an extremely secure border (with surveillance and a physical barrier/wall), while also having an extremely generous immigration and refugee policy.

Yeah. I think the wall was Trump fueling his ego and a waste of resources but I’d love to see a President who defers to our border security. Let’s give them what they need to keep our border secure. I like the “high tech border” ideas, but I also want to see immigration reform. Guest worker programs, etc. Nothing wrong with a secure border and generous immigration policies. 

What I’ve seen lately is awful really. The truck full of migrants dead…. Drug problem getting worse… it’s sad.

57 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Democrats missed a big W. They could have used this as a photo op to show how compassionate they are (which they did) but busing them out less than 24hrs afterwards was the wrong move and everyone sees through them now. I don't think it will affect the polls however.

They just went to a base in Massachusetts, the same state? It's not like they bussed them across state lines even.

4 hours ago, Hestia said:

They just went to a base in Massachusetts, the same state? It's not like they bussed them across state lines even.

Right -- and it's a dormitory style building.  I've stayed in similar buildings when I was in the military.  Quite like living on a college campus.

They have to be somewhere.  Martha's Vineyard was a stupid place to send them, they don't have the infrastructure there to deal with a longterm homeless population.  Of course, DeSantis wasn't looking for a solution, he was looking to breed chaos at the expense of human lives.

The folks of Martha's Vineyard actually took outstanding care of them despite having zero warning that they were coming.  Really reminds me of the Come From Away story of how a town in Canada handled 7,000 foreign strangers becoming stranded in their town without warning for days after 9/11 shut the airlines down.

But yes, they needed a better solution, and they found one and in a perfectly humane manner too.  Despite having no warning.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Right -- and it's a dormitory style building.  I've stayed in similar buildings when I was in the military.  Quite like living on a college campus.

They have to be somewhere.  Martha's Vineyard was a stupid place to send them, they don't have the infrastructure there to deal with a longterm homeless population.  Of course, DeSantis wasn't looking for a solution, he was looking to breed chaos at the expense of human lives.

The folks of Martha's Vineyard actually took outstanding care of them despite having zero warning that they were coming.  Really reminds me of the Come From Away story of how a town in Canada handled 7,000 foreign strangers becoming stranded in their town without warning for days after 9/11 shut the airlines down.

But yes, they needed a better solution, and they found one and in a perfectly humane manner too.  Despite having no warning.

Yeah, it's not even easy to get to Martha's Vinyard by land. Did he bus and then ferry the migrants? When I went to Nantucket about 9 years ago, which is next to Martha's Vinyard, it took an hour for the ferry to get to Nantucket at full speed and generally took about two hours if you went on the cheaper one. The fact that he opted to place them on an island just seems odd to me. You'd think he'd just ship them all to NYC or something.