The Political Lounge

Suggested fixes Fall 2022

vcczar

12 minutes ago, Joe303300 said:

Just praying we get this game by at least March 

I hope so. I have no clue what progress is being made at the moment. We've been talking about the music for the game, but that just seems so minor of a thing at the moment to me. 

• Agree 3

I think if we get overwhelming complaints that the game has too many phases, then I might make all Gov Actions Scripted Events. I don't think it will come to that, but there's a lot of the parts of the game that could be totally automated -- Gov Actions, Supreme Court, Military. 

I renamed the Poll Tax and the Jim Crow Gov actions because they are a little repetitive. The Jim Crow bill was meant to represent general laws that made blacks second class citizens, while Poll Tax and Segregation were the specific big ones, although they are part of Jim Crow. 

I am now adding General Jim Crow law scripted events. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think if we get overwhelming complaints that the game has too many phases, then I might make all Gov Actions Scripted Events. I don't think it will come to that, but there's a lot of the parts of the game that could be totally automated -- Gov Actions, Supreme Court, Military. 

If people complain about anything, it'll probably be too much automation.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so this is kind of more or less a heads up for some *drastic action* we're about to take in 1840.  Basically, we've added a lot of events to the game since the start, and that's great. Events are the flavor of the game.  However... we forgot one thing... we never increased how many events *can fire* per turn.....  This means there's going to be, to put it one way, a "log jam" of events, and unfired events, and it's going to cause problems.  We have an extreme event surplus going from one era to the next in 1840 and as a result we will be rolling EIGHTEEN events each half term until events are at a sustainable level.  By the end of the era, this will get us to around 70% of events having fired, which we believe to be "in the spirit" of the game with most events having fired but some having not happened, though of course official input on what the ratio should be would be welcome.  Right now, at the end of *this* era, we're sitting at around 25% of events fired, which just seems unacceptable, and if we continued following the rules as written it would be even worse by the time we reached the end of The Era of Nationalism.

Now, 18 events per half-term seems extreme, and it is, but to fix this, we don't need to be rolling that many events during normal gameplay in an actual run. This is just us playing "catch up".  What we propose is a dynamic limit on how many events are rolled per era so that at the end of each era around 70% of events have fired.  We've even prepared a helpful chart for you!  Though do note this chart does not contain the recent EV change events nor the events still being added right now, but that's not a big deal.  We can calc a limit now, and we can change the limit when we're done tweaking.  We can even do this for you if you want, since we've already done the heavy lifting.

image.png.b40bae49bd79814c78d1ec2c9af3e1f8.png

5 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Alright, so this is kind of more or less a heads up for some *drastic action* we're about to take in 1840.  Basically, we've added a lot of events to the game since the start, and that's great. Events are the flavor of the game.  However... we forgot one thing... we never increased how many events *can fire* per turn.....  This means there's going to be, to put it one way, a "log jam" of events, and unfired events, and it's going to cause problems.  We have an extreme event surplus going from one era to the next in 1840 and as a result we will be rolling EIGHTEEN events each half term until events are at a sustainable level.  By the end of the era, this will get us to around 70% of events having fired, which we believe to be "in the spirit" of the game with most events having fired but some having not happened, though of course official input on what the ratio should be would be welcome.  Right now, at the end of *this* era, we're sitting at around 25% of events fired, which just seems unacceptable, and if we continued following the rules as written it would be even worse by the time we reached the end of The Era of Nationalism.

Now, 18 events per half-term seems extreme, and it is, but to fix this, we don't need to be rolling that many events during normal gameplay in an actual run. This is just us playing "catch up".  What we propose is a dynamic limit on how many events are rolled per era so that at the end of each era around 70% of events have fired.  We've even prepared a helpful chart for you!  Though do note this chart does not contain the recent EV change events nor the events still being added right now, but that's not a big deal.  We can calc a limit now, and we can change the limit when we're done tweaking.  We can even do this for you if you want, since we've already done the heavy lifting.

I'm fairly certain I got rid of a cap when I added the Era Exit column to the Scripted Events. All possible events should be rolled, allowing for either zero to fire (unlikely) or all of them to fire (unlikely). 

Just now, vcczar said:

I'm fairly certain I got rid of a cap when I added the Era Exit column to the Scripted Events. All possible events should be rolled, allowing for either zero to fire (unlikely) or all of them to fire (unlikely). 

That'd be great!  Though we also don't see an "Era Exit" column in our events... 

6 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

That'd be great!  Though we also don't see an "Era Exit" column in our events... 

That's probably because your playtest spreadsheets were created before I made the change. That's what I'm assuming. No wait. I ended up getting rid of "Era Exit" altogether because it would create an issue if some events needed to fire and then they didn't. So there's no cap and no era exit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's probably because your playtest spreadsheets were created before I made the change. That's what I'm assuming. No wait. I ended up getting rid of "Era Exit" altogether because it would create an issue if some events needed to fire and then they didn't. So there's no cap and no era exit. 

1856 gonna be lit when we roll later today

19 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Actually, a chart that could be helpful, in case we need a cap, is if you can figure out how many half-term there are per Era and then I can divide total events in the era by half-terms and then make an era max because it would be bad if an era like the Era of Neocons has like nothing unique at the end. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Actually, a chart that could be helpful, in case we need a cap, is if you can figure out how many half-term there are per Era and then I can divide total events in the era by half-terms and then make an era max because it would be bad if an era like the Era of Neocons has like nothing unique at the end. 

We'll recalculate and do that after we're done with these additions we're doing now so we don't have to do it twice.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

We'll recalculate and do that after we're done with these additions we're doing now so we don't have to do it twice.

That's fine. I'm not going to make it a strict count. For instance, say we had 10 half-terms and 80 scripted events. I'll make the max events like 10 instead of 8. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

It’s still there last I checked.  I had no idea every event should be rolled, I’ve been doing the 2 minimum 8 maximum (or whatever the numbers are)

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

It’s still there last I checked.  I had no idea every event should be rolled, I’ve been doing the 2 minimum 8 maximum (or whatever the numbers are)

Yeah I meant to get rid of it and I either forgot to get rid of it or did but it got put back in there. I'm going to create a cap, but it's going to be more than 8. There's probably a lot of other things in the rules that I don't want to be there, but I don't really do my "final draft" until I give it to Anthony to work with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the Convention Plank section:

The president nom will pick these platform promises unilaterally or they will select a faction to pick the promise in order to sure up support. If the pres nom is “pliable,” then the outgoing party leader will pick all of these if this outgoing party leader has “manipulative.” A “puritan”  or “iron fist” nominee will not allow anyone else pick any part of the platform. If able to allow another faction to select a platform plank, the faction enthusiasm given the choice of a platform plank will have a 25% of improving that enthusiasm toward the party. 

The Presidential nominee will gain triple points for whatever the platform planks are worth should they become law. That is, if the four legislative planks and the pres action planks would go for 50 pts, 100 pts, 250 pts, 50 pts, and 100 pts respectively–all equaling to 550 pts–, then the president will be awarded 1,650 pts, regardless if the president fulfills these promises or not. Note: Failing to fulfill the promises can hurt the nominees party in the midterm and in reelection should the nominee become president.