The Political Lounge

Presidents ranked by do I like them

MrPotatoTed

I'm not fancy enough to have an actual grading system...some of these Presidents I would struggle to pick out of a lineup.

But here we go!  US Presidents ranked by "Do I like them."

BEST OF THE BEST

1.  Harry S. Truman, the "S" stands for perfect.

2.  George Washington.  Generally did his duty without corruption or ego, with absolute honor (other than that pesky business of being a slave owner.  And probably wasn't on the Christmas Card list of Native Americans.  But other than that, absolute honor.)

3.  Abraham Lincoln.  Dude was playing 4D Chess back when everyone else just had the one D.

4.  Teddy Roosevelt.  "Speak softly and carry a big stick" is also excellent marriage advice.

5.  Dwight D. Eisenhower.  He gave us highways!  Who doesn't love highways?

6.  FDR.  The man loved creating agency acronyms so much, he even gave himself one.

7.  Thomas Jefferson.  Did okay for a redhead.

8.  James Monroe.  I gave him bonus points because we (yes, really) named our daughter after him.  Maggie Monroe PotatoTed.

9.  James K. Polk.  Promised to do three things.  Did those three things.  Didn't run for a second term.  Died as soon as his service was no longer required.  The gold standard.

10. George W Bush.  Mostly to annoy Patine.

GOOD OF THE GOOD
JFK
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama

COMPLICATED LEGACY BY MODERN STANDARDS BUT DID SOME IMPORTANT THINGS IN HIS DAY
Woodrow Wilson
John Adams
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Richard Nixon -- technically, his legacy was complicated even in his own day. Stunning scandals but also major successes.

I KNOW A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION ABOUT THESE PEOPLE,  BUT DON'T HAVE STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT THEM
James Madison
John Quincy Adams (I do have strong feelings about the middle name Quincy though.  It's pretty cool.)
George HW Bush
William Howard Taft
William Henry Harrison

I ONLY HAVE A VAGUE IDEA OF WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE, IF ANY IDEA AT ALL
William McKinley -- from Ohio and died.  That's it.
James Garfield -- Also from Ohio, also died.
Grover Cleveland -- Re-elected nonconsecutively, last name matches a city in Ohio.  First name matches a Muppet.
Zachary Taylor -- Died, didn't even have the good sense to be from Ohio.
Rutherford B Hayes -- Wins best name award, is also from Ohio.
Chester A Arthur - Literally nothing.
Benjamin Harrison - Also literally nothing, other than he was related to WHH.
John Tyler - An afterthought, following Tippecanoe.  
Millard Fillmore - I think the school the kids went to in the Brady Bunch might have been named after him.  (I just looked it up -- I was right!)
Franklin Pierce - If you gave me an unlimited amount of time to name the Presidents, I would still never remember Franklin Pierce.
Warren G Harding - Ohio!

BAD, MOSTLY DUE TO FAILURES
Ulysses S. Grant
Martin Van Buren
Jimmy Carter
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
James Buchanan
Andrew Johnson

EVIL
Donald J Trump, obviously.
Andrew Jackson (I considered putting him as "Complicated legacy by modern standards but did some important things in his day," but I had to deduct ten million points for being Trump's favorite President other than himself.)

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Thanks 2