The Political Lounge

AMPU Question: Tulsi Gabbard

vcczar

On leaving the Democrats this year, Gabbard has been specifically attacking Democrats and in NH she was campaigning for Republican candidates against Democrat incumbents. Should her historical party switch date be set for 2022? While she would be Red Party rather than Blue. As you know independent politicians have to take a side to "caucus with." So Sanders and Angus King are Blue, for instance.

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

On leaving the Democrats this year, Gabbard has been specifically attacking Democrats and in NH she was campaigning for Republican candidates against Democrat incumbents. Should her historical party switch date be set for 2022? While she would be Red Party rather than Blue. As you know independent politicians have to take a side to "caucus with." So Sanders and Angus King are Blue, for instance.

Since she isnt GOP officially yet,i would just give her Can be Indenpendent and Can Party Flip traits.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

She always seemed red to me.  I remember predicting during 2020 primaries that she would leave the democrat party and end up with a show on Fox News.

Yeah, I remember that. She definitely wasn't always Red. In 2015-2016, she seemed so close to Bernie Sanders that I actually liked her as a politician and thought she might be his successor as leader of his wing of the party. She has a history of anti-gay statements from when she was very young that kind of foreshadowed what she's now returned to.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Also, is Gabbard now RW Populist? I haven't been keeping up with her. She just seems to have really veered Trumpian since losing in the primaries in 2020. 

She may or may not have retained some left positions, but by an large has been remaining silent on those issues, probably to avoid alienating what support she has left from the Bernie wing in an attempt to maintain it.  We'll need to see in the next week/month or so if she now goes back on those too or continues to try to maintain the status quo on those issues, which I know isn't a great answer for classifying her in the snapshot, but my professional opinion as a political scientist is that the moment is too active to say for sure.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

She may or may not have retained some left positions, but by an large has been remaining silent on those issues, probably to avoid alienating what support she has left from the Bernie wing in an attempt to maintain it.  We'll need to see in the next week/month or so if she now goes back on those too or continues to try to maintain the status quo on those issues, which I know isn't a great answer for classifying her in the snapshot, but my professional opinion as a political scientist is that the moment is too active to say for sure.

Though, follow up mildly facetious comment:  RW Pop would be fine if you believe in horseshoe theory (still disappointed in 1960 I couldn't wrap around Douglas MacArthur II to LW Pop)

Edit:  Also I'm contractually obligated to state I don't personally believe in horseshoe theory.

Edited by OrangeP47

30 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Though, follow up mildly facetious comment:  RW Pop would be fine if you believe in horseshoe theory (still disappointed in 1960 I couldn't wrap around Douglas MacArthur II to LW Pop)

Edit:  Also I'm contractually obligated to state I don't personally believe in horseshoe theory.

I think Gabbard is just more of a pure populist than Sanders or Trump in that she's populist without any real ideological restrictions. She's advocating instinct more than policy. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think Gabbard is just more of a pure populist than Sanders or Trump in that she's populist without any real ideological restrictions. She's advocating instinct more than policy. 

Well I mean "personal gain" is not on the ideological spectrum so I couldn't rate where it falls.

26 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Well I mean "personal gain" is not on the ideological spectrum so I couldn't rate where it falls.

I think pure populism (non-ideological) among politicians is almost exclusively driven by personal gain or ambition. 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think pure populism (non-ideological) among politicians is almost exclusively driven by personal gain or ambition. 

Yeah, I'm just saying, as it stands our 7 point model doesn't really account for that.  It's probably why people with extreme views sometimes get mistaken for for "moderate".  

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, I'm just saying, as it stands our 7 point model doesn't really account for that.  It's probably why people with extreme views sometimes get mistaken for for "moderate".  

I'll change the model if we get many more Gabbards. She's sort of like a 1 in 1,000 case, in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'll change the model if we get many more Gabbards. She's sort of like a 1 in 1,000 case, in my opinion. 

Yeah, if anything, making the call on LW/RW for pop, and then having a trait about it would probably be the simplest thing.  If it came to that. But I agree, there's not enough pols that fit the description to make it worthwhile at this point.