The Political Lounge

AMPU Poll: Era of Independence

vcczar

AMPU Poll: Era of Independence  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a politician in the time of the Era of Independence, and you had to be one of these, what would you be?

• A New Hampshire delegate to the Continental Congress, solidly behind independence.
    • A Massachusetts delegate to the Continental Congress, who had been witness to the Boston Massacre and is an early proponent of Independence.
    • A Rhode Island general in the new Continental Army who wants to throw the British at least out of New England.
    • A Connecticut politician aiming to be a pro-Independence governor of the colony.
    • A New York delegate to the Continental Congress, more concerned with keeping a stable economy, so cautious about Independence.
    • A New Jersey colonial judge hoping for a judicial career in a newly independent nation.
    • A Pennsylvanian politician of German-descent hoping to earn office as the first significant non-English-descent politician in the US should the Independence be earned.
    • A pacifist Delawarean politician, who opposes British aggression, but opposes warfare for independence even more.
    • A rare Maryland politician who opposes slavery and hopes that Independence could lead to the restrictions of slavery or at least ending it in MD.
    • A Virginian delegate to the Continental Congress who sees his/her role as making it clear that British aggression is aimed not only at Massachusetts but toward all the US colonies.
    • A North Carolinian politician who is looking westward and sees independence as a means to create an eventual empire to the Pacific.
    • A South Carolinian delegate who sees their role primarily as the defender of the institution of slavery at the Continental Congress and beyond.
    • A Georgian general in the new Continental Congress who thinks the US inevitably needs to acquire Spanish Florida for settlement and to control Seminoles and ward of a Spanish threat to the colonies.
  2. 2. Of these, who are you most excited to play as in a computerized version of AMPU during the Era of Independence?

• Washington
    • J Adams
    • Jefferson
    • Franklin
    • Hamilton
    • B Arnold
    • Jay
    • Madison
    • N Greene
    • Hancock
  3. 3. What is your preferred party when starting in the Era of Independence?

• Blue Party
    • Red Party
    • Doesn't really matter to me.

Honestly I've thought about this a lot, seeing as I seem to be the only one here (other than Lars, obviously), who doesn't have ancestors in the country all the way back to the Revolution.  Back when 1772 was the only playtest and it was still early days, I kind of threw a dart at the board and said for the era Rhode Island would be my "home state" but there wasn't any real reason behind it.  If you took me as a fully formed individual making a conscious decision, I'd go with New York, but if you went with what realistically my family history would be given the backgrounds above, had they immigrated 150 years early, I'd say Pennsylvania.  Picked NY for the purposes of the poll.

• Thanks 1

I was gonna go with John Adams for most excited to play with just because I want to see If I can get to be someone again lol  As he hasn't exactly lived up to his real life self in most of our playtests.  But I ended up going with John Jay.  He really was/can be anything in this game.  President, Gov, Chief Justice, Diplomat.  You name it he has a realistic path to achieve it.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

I was gonna go with John Adams for most excited to play with just because I want to see If I can get to be someone again lol  As he hasn't exactly lived up to his real life self in most of our playtests.  But I ended up going with John Jay.  He really was/can be anything in this game.  President, Gov, Chief Justice, Diplomat.  You name it he has a realistic path to achieve it.

Agreed! If he was on the list I would go with Benjamin Rush and see if I could get him to make more of an impact than just as the Father of American Psychiatry

• Like 1