The Political Lounge

President Favorability

vcczar

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Based and Republican pulled. Why is Carter so high for you? I assume it’s based mostly on his personality and integrity and not his policy or effectiveness?

Yeah, his C- is based on the fact that he did not do terribly much to harm the economy himself, he was just inept at finding the solutions. His Foreign Policy was obviously lackluster, but he did do a lot to re-establish some credibility to the Oval Office. Which is worth a lot to me, enough to bump him to a C.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Well, he had the Camp David Accords, which is frequently cited as a major foreign policy achievement in the 20th century. 

For sure, which is why it wasn't a disaster. Also I will respond to your email. 

• Based 1

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Even Jimmy Carter! 

His administration did arm anti-Soviet Afghanistan forces that eventually evolved into terrorist cells. I think that would be Patine's biggest issue with Carter. He might not like the deregulation policies either. 

Carter is so weird because he, in many ways, anticipates both Reagan and Obama--two very different presidents. Reagan for being less government than LBJ or Nixon, and Obama for environmental and foreign policy humanitarianism. Some might argue Arab Spring shouldn't count as humanitarianism, but that was sort of the driver, even if it backfired. Carter hardly resembles LBJ, JFK, Truman, FDR, etc. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Actually, @Pringles, Patine would protest and demand that scale go from A-Z so he could put George W Bush at Z. Once I do that, he'll argue that I create a new letter that's specific for being worse than Z. Then he'll argue that somehow my creation was designed to mock him. 

All the while he'd never actually do the rankings.

I legit was annoyed every time he'd go on rants about polls despite never doing them nor making his own.

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I legit was annoyed every time he'd go on rants about polls despite never doing them nor making his own.

Yeah I’d mention that to him consistently. Hall of Shame killjoy. 

16 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah, and not only would he do this, but he'd randomly personally attack MrPotatoTed even though he hasn't posted a thing on the thread. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, and not only would he do this, but he'd randomly personally attack MrPotatoTed even though he hasn't posted a thing on the thread. 

I was his favorite punching bag, and his only defender.  May he rest in peace.   

(I know he got perma-banned, but the fact that he hasn't returned with a new username like Patine2 suggests to me that he's definitely dead.)

Anyway, I don't necessarily have strong feelings about enough of the Presidents to rank them here.  For some of them, best I can do is tell you what decade they served in with reasonable degrees of confidence.

My favorite is Truman, my least favorite is Trump.  Fill in the rest between those two.  ;c)

My only unique opinion compared to others on this forum is that I'd rank George W Bush and Obama about even.  Bush's foreign policy was actually quite good given the crises he faced, though his domestic policies sucked.  On the flip side, Obama was great domestically and useless overseas.  (Except for killing Osama, credit for that.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

the fact that he hasn't returned with a new username like Patine2 suggests to me that he's definitely dead.

He's probably active on his Civ forums. He claims he's greatly respected on those forums. May he find his happiness spending more time there.