The Political Lounge

Who Runs in 2024 if Biden and Trump do not run?

vcczar

Who Runs in 2024 if Biden and Trump do not run?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who Runs in 2024 if Biden and Trump do not run? [Pick all those that you think are 51% more likely to run than not]

• Mayor Eric Adams - NY
    • Sec. Pete Buttigieg - IN (or MI)
    • Gov. Roy Cooper - NC
    • VP Kamala Harris - CA
    • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - NY
    • Rap. Ayanna Pressley - MA
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders - VT
    • Fmr State Sen. Nina Turner - OH
    • Sen. Raphael Warnock - GA
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer - MI
    • Fmr State Rep. Stacey Abrams - GA
    • Sen. Cory Booker - NJ
    • Fmr Sec. Hillary Clinton - NY
    • Rep. Ro Khanna - CA
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar - MN
    • Gov. Gavin Newsom - CA
    • Gov. Jared Polis - CO
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren - MA
    • Fmr Sen. Doug Jones - AL
    • Gov. (very likely) Wes Moore - AL
    • Fmr Rep. Liz Cheney - WY
    • Fmr VP Mike Pence - IN
    • Sen. Ted Cruz - TX
    • Fmr Gov. Larry Hogan - MD
    • Fmr Gov. Chris Christie - NJ
    • Sen. Marco Rubio - FL
    • Fmr UN Amb - Nikki Haley - SC
    • Sen. Tom Cotton - AR
    • Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene - GA
    • Gov. Asa Hutchinson - AR
    • Fmr Sec. Mike Pompeo - KS
    • Mr. Donald Trump Jr - NY(?)
    • Gov. Ron DeSantis - FL
    • Gov. Glenn Youngkin - VA
    • Gov. Brian Kemp - GA
    • Sen. Tim Scott - SC
    • Sen. Josh Hawley - MO
    • Gov. Krisi Noem - SD
    • Sen. Mitt Romney - UT
    • Sen. Rand Paul - KY

Obviously I want Pete to run and win.

But...if I'm Pete, I think I let Kamala run with the expectation that she'll lose.  Show that he's a team player, let her knock herself out of the way, let the regret of "Dammit, we should have gone with Pete instead" build up like it did for Biden in 2016, and become the heir apparent for 4-8 years down the line.  He's only 40 years old, he has time to let things fall into his lap.

• Like 1

I imagine that in this scenario, Harris is  the undisputed frontrunner from the time she announces her candidacy. 

I have a hard time seeing Buttigieg run against her for the reasons stated by @MrPotatoTed

AOC is too smart imo to run against Harris when she would have an excellent chance of winning the nomination in 2028 after Harris loses to the Republican nominee (which I staunchly believe she would) 

Overall I doubt the squad opposes her. However, I can see Abrams MAYBE tossing his hat in the ring against Harris in a doomed campaign. 

I’d predict Harris wins the nomination easily (maybe a little fight in Iowa against Abrams or some other token progressive put up as a sacrificial lamb) and she takes on a liberal running mate to appease the progressives who didn’t give her a real run for her money. I say she goes for the first full female ticket in history and selects Governor Whitmer or even Stacey Abrams as her VP. She seems the type to want to go down in history for a move like that.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Obviously I want Pete to run and win.

But...if I'm Pete, I think I let Kamala run with the expectation that she'll lose.  Show that he's a team player, let her knock herself out of the way, let the regret of "Dammit, we should have gone with Pete instead" build up like it did for Biden in 2016, and become the heir apparent for 4-8 years down the line.  He's only 40 years old, he has time to let things fall into his lap.

9 hours ago, Cal said:

I imagine that in this scenario, Harris is  the undisputed frontrunner from the time she announces her candidacy. 

I have a hard time seeing Buttigieg run against her for the reasons stated by @MrPotatoTed

AOC is too smart imo to run against Harris when she would have an excellent chance of winning the nomination in 2028 after Harris loses to the Republican nominee (which I staunchly believe she would) 

Overall I doubt the squad opposes her. However, I can see Abrams MAYBE tossing his hat in the ring against Harris in a doomed campaign. 

I’d predict Harris wins the nomination easily (maybe a little fight in Iowa against Abrams or some other token progressive put up as a sacrificial lamb) and she takes on a liberal running mate to appease the progressives who didn’t give her a real run for her money. I say she goes for the first full female ticket in history and selects Governor Whitmer or even Stacey Abrams as her VP. She seems the type to want to go down in history for a move like that.

I think Harris will be an early frontrunner, but her approval is lower than Biden's. I don't think she's even particularly popular among Democrats, although she isn't unpopular either. She's sort of like a shade mroe favorable than Hillary Clinton, but unlike Clinton, I don't think she has fervent supporters. Clinton does have strong supporters. I think someone like Whitmer, Newsom, Booker, etc. could upset Harris in Iowa and etc. But I do think she'll be the early frontunner because of name recognition alone. 

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

She's sort of like a shade mroe favorable than Hillary Clinton, but unlike Clinton, I don't think she has fervent supporters. Clinton does have strong supporters.

You must not be very active on Twitter. The “K-Hive” is worse than what Hillary Clinton thinks “Bernie Bros” are. 

• Like 1