The Political Lounge

AMPU: Music and Sound

vcczar

Anthony wrote me an email asking about music and sound for the game. 

I think our music/sound will be rather basic. Think President Infinity. 

I wrote back with two ideas:

1. Music should change for each Historical Era. However, we run into public domain issue from Era of Normalcy to the present. I have a friend who might agree to make variations of famous music for these eras. Say a variation of "The Charleston" for Era of Normalcy for instance. Or, 
  2. Instead, we make music tied to phases. I'm assuming most of this music will be John Philip Sousa and patriotic standard music like that. 

I'm wanting to know your thoughts on music and sound, so I can report back to Anthony. Try to be specific, yet concise in your response, so I can just copy+paste them into an email. He's more likely to read them if they aren't Patine-esque blocks of texts and runons. 

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Anthony wrote me an email asking about music and sound for the game. 

I think our music/sound will be rather basic. Think President Infinity. 

I wrote back with two ideas:

1. Music should change for each Historical Era. However, we run into public domain issue from Era of Normalcy to the present. I have a friend who might agree to make variations of famous music for these eras. Say a variation of "The Charleston" for Era of Normalcy for instance. Or, 
  2. Instead, we make music tied to phases. I'm assuming most of this music will be John Philip Sousa and patriotic standard music like that. 

I'm wanting to know your thoughts on music and sound, so I can report back to Anthony. Try to be specific, yet concise in your response, so I can just copy+paste them into an email. He's more likely to read them if they aren't Patine-esque blocks of texts and runons. 

This was one of the first things I actually thought about when I first ran across the forums.  What would the music be like for the game?  If you spend HOURS in the game (like I will be), having 3 songs constantly repeat gets OLD quick.  I like the idea of doing it by era. 

Revolutionary War Period-1800. I think like Colonial Fife & Drum music for the Revolution.  Maybe like 10 different tunes.  Yankee Doodle, the World Turned Upside down, British Grenadier, etc.  https://www.amazon.com/Music-American-Revolution-Nathan-Ancient/dp/B007NX45OY

1800-1840- Regency type music.  I remember getting Hearts of Iron (way back in the day) and loving the fact that it has a "classical" music sound track.  Like, a bunch of music that anyone who knows anything about Classical music would know- Bach, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, etc.  So, 1790's-1840's maybe style it like that, classical.  Or you could go with something like the soundtrack off of Master and Commander...violin/cello music duet type.   https://open.spotify.com/playlist/00hdLW3z9Riw94UaOAUHFk

1840's-1860's- Civil War era music- think guitar, banjo, bass, fiddle.  Maybe even some Civil War tunes- Rose of Alabama, Yellow Rose of Texas, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Hail Columbia.  You could also go Fife & Drum here too, but maybe more period type like Frog in the Well, Paddy on the Handcar, Old 1812.  https://music.apple.com/us/artist/carolina-fifes-drums/1410326421

1890's-1890's- Saxhorn Band Music.  https://www.amazon.com/Dodworth-Saxhorn-Band-Grafullas-Favorites/dp/B0046L55G8  It's early Gilded age/late Civil War, but it would certainly work for the post Civil War period.

1890's-1930's- This is where Sousa Music takes the stage.  All sorts of his stuff comes out in this period (1880's-1910's) and we are still very familiar with it to this day.  https://www.amazon.com/John-Philip-Sousas-Greatest-Hits/dp/B009TXVMDS

1930's-1960- Big Band Music?  Again, maybe some generic type Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman...without lyrics, just the tunes. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Band-Era-Greatest-Hits/dp/B001BGCCNA

1960-2000's- I would do some non-lyric rock n roll here.  Again, no words, but the tunes of some of the most popular music of the time...

2000's-future....maybe cycle back and play all of them randomly from all the different eras??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whatever the decision is for each era’s music, I’d recommend being able to toggle music on/off. There’s some music in grand strategy games, or particular songs, that are just annoying when heard over and over. Or a setting to just randomize it among all the songs in the game & turn them on/off.

• Like 4

Anthony's really trying to just find free music, but I'd rather have music that isn't just crammed in there just to have it in there. He seems hesitant to do it even after I offered to to give the composer KS donor money that was supposed to go to me. I'd like to get more feedback in regards to what you all expect for music before I make any decision or try to persuade Anthony one way or the other. 

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe 10 songs per era. Here's an example that I just threw together: 

Era of Independence (1772-1788)

1. Turkish March by Mozart

2. Yankee Doodle

3. The British Grenadiers

4. Chester by William Billings

5. The Liberty Song by John Dickinson

6. Messiah by Handel

7. Hay-Maker’s Dance

8. The Girl I Left Behind Me

9. Federal March

10. War and Washington

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Anthony's really trying to just find free music, but I'd rather have music that isn't just crammed in there just to have it in there. He seems hesitant to do it even after I offered to to give the composer KS donor money that was supposed to go to me. I'd like to get more feedback in regards to what you all expect for music before I make any decision or try to persuade Anthony one way or the other. 

Ability to toggle music on and off.

At least 10 songs per era.

No lyrics, just music.

If in doubt, go "military" or "patriotic" music.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Seems like my composer friend is going through some mental health issues and doesn’t think he’d be very reliable. I think what I’ll do is try to find free things that work and then see if I can at least get him to compose maybe 5 songs, including the intro 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think, due to the public domain issue, that we will have at least two tracks -- rather than tracks by era. 

1. Historic free use music. 

2. Free music that isn't necessarily historic but is instrumental and epic. 

3. An option for someone to import their own music.