• Grover Cleveland
    • Ulysses S. Grant
  11. 11. John Adams vs Dwight D. Eisenhower

• John Adams
    • Dwight D. Eisenhower
  12. 12. James K. Polk vs Harry Truman

13 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

@vcczar why Reagan over Coolidge?

Reagan was more immigrant-friendly and worked with a Democratic Congress, which meant some of his Conservatism was rhetorical only. My main issue with Coolidge is that he faced a major humanitarian crisis--the Great Mississippi Flood--, which was the Hurricane Katrina of his time. He didn't ignore it, as some people think he did, but he was more concerned with keeping costs and the expanse of the emergency response than he was with the purpose of the emergency response. Hoover handled it well with the few resources he was allowed. I've seen arguments that this natural disaster created "Big Government" because Coolidge failed to respond in the way people wanted him to respond, especially those hit by the disaster. I'd say the vote between the two were close. I see Coolidge as kind of the last limited government president, although Hoover tried to be as well, and limited government, in my opinion, seemed to lose any practicality with mass industrialization and the creation of the wage worker as the primary type of worker. Coolidge is probably one of my top 10 least favorite presidents, while Reagan might not be in there, although he's close. 

• Thanks 1

I think 12 was the toughest for me as those are both top 10 Presidents for me. 

1 was the toughest in moral conscience. Because those are two who are at or towards the bottom for me. 

17 minutes ago, Rezi said:

FDR over Lincoln?

Another tough one. They’re #1 and #2 overall. I think both are A+, allowing some mistakes, but I think FDR being more or less A+ for 12 years edges out Lincoln for his 4 years. FDR even had a great plan (2nd bill of rights) for his next 4 years (had he not died). Lincoln next 4 years are less certain. His lenient Reconstruction might have split the GOP, ushering in Democrats who might have made the war more or less pointless. But that’s all hypothetical. It was a close call regardless.