The Political Lounge

What AMPU Can Borrow from Victoria 3

vcczar

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

and @OrangeP47 Ok, I'm going to make a ton of population scripted events. Also going to amend EV-related Legis Props and possibly Gov Actions and Pres Actions too. 

Keep in mind when doing this it's not just direct EV changes but changes as the result of Industry movement.  Indeed, that's like at least 80% of what it is.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Keep in mind when doing this it's not just direct EV changes but changes as the result of Industry movement.  Indeed, that's like at least 80% of what it is.

I understand that perfectly. These events will primarily mention industry of some kind or another. 

• Like 2

@OrangeP47 @Murrman104 @ConservativeElector2 @matthewyoung123 @Willthescout7 @ebrk85 @WVProgressive @Hestia @Ich_bin_Tyler @Rezi @ShortKing 

Anyone want to do a big favor for me and make a chart that shows +/- for each for each Census year? There may be something online that already has this. 

Basically, if a state has 3 EVs in 1820, 5 in 1830, 12 in 1840, and 10 in 1850, it would show something like. 

State    1820         1830    1840          1850

State     3 (0)        5 (+2)    12 (+7)    10 (-2)

And it would have all the states on one page. Having this info could probably save me 4 day's time in making these new scripted events. 

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@OrangeP47 @Murrman104 @ConservativeElector2 @matthewyoung123 @Willthescout7 @ebrk85 @WVProgressive @Hestia @Ich_bin_Tyler @Rezi @ShortKing 

Anyone want to do a big favor for me and make a chart that shows +/- for each for each Census year? There may be something online that already has this. 

Basically, if a state has 3 EVs in 1820, 5 in 1830, 12 in 1840, and 10 in 1850, it would show something like. 

State    1820         1830    1840          1850

State     3 (0)        5 (+2)    12 (+7)    10 (-2)

And it would have all the states on one page. Having this info could probably save me 4 day's time in making these new scripted events. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment#Past_apportionments

This should take you right to the chart.

• Thanks 1

So I'm working on the years 1788-1868. This is going to take me awhile. Here's an example of Alabama: 

1. Alabama Statehood, enters with +3
  2. Needs +2 for 1820 census: New scripted Event, Growth of Cotton Plantations in the Deep South adds these 2 EVs
  3. Needs +2 for 1830 census: New scripted Event, Cotton Plantations Continue to Grow in the Deep South adds these 2 EVs. 
  4. Needs +2 for 1840 census: This is resolved with Pres Action relocating two tribes. Gains +1 EV each. 
  5. Needs -1 for 1860 census: New scripted event, Plantation States lose influence to states with modern, diverse economies. -1 EV

As you can see, I modified two pres actions, and added new scripted events, which will also encompass some other states. 

It took me about an hour to do Alabama up to 1868. Considering I have 50 states and I'll have to do post-1868, I expect this to take about 100 hours of time. Fortunately, Anthony is so slow to work on AMPU it won't be too much of an issue. I just gotta hope we have no more overhauls. My domestic situation and teaching schedule is going to impact this as well, but I'll get it done. 

I'll also have to do something with ahistorical states, which is going to get really complicated. I might just have events for each ahistorical region that just sets the EVs if these states happen to be states. I know its kind of lazy, but I can always create more specific events later for these states that will rarely every become states. 

• Like 3

Up next Arkansas:

• Statehood gives 3 EVs
  • +1 for 1850: Fulfilled by new scripted event - Demand for Cotton sees growth of industry outside Deep South
  • +1 for 1860: Fulfilled by new scripted event - Cottton continues to thrive outside the Deep South. 

Both of these will probably include TX as well eventually. 

Up Next Georgia:

• Gains 5 EVs on statehood
  • -1 EV for 1790: I couldn't find a great reason for this, so I attribute it to harsh living conditions as they're dealing with Cherokee, Seminoles, and severe heat. (new event)
  • +2 for 1800: Cotton Gin (amended old event)
  • +2 for 1810: Rev War Land Grants to populate the South (amended old event)
  • +1 for 1820: Growth of Cotton Plantations (added to new event)
  • +2 for 1830: Cotton Plantations continue to grow (added to new event)
  • -1 for 1840: Coastal South Loses Some Influence to Gulf States (new event)
  • -1 for 1860: Plantation States Losing Influence to states with modern, diverse industries. (added to new event)

What a whirlwind. 

Up next: Illinois

• 3 EVs on Statehood
  • 1830 gets +2: Manufacturing Spreads (amended old event)
  • 1840 gets +4 from three events: John Deere (+1), McCormick Reaper (+1), and New England Diaspora spreads (+2)
  • 1850 gets +2: Chicago emerges as the premier Great Lakes port
  • 1860 gets +4: Illinois Booms as Rail and Canals Unite

Up next: Iowa

• 3 EVs on statehood
  • 1850 +1 EV: Treaties w/ various tribes to secure land in IA
  • 1860 +3 EVs: Emergence of Steamboats and Rail See Population Boom in Great Plains

I've added the latter event to IL as well (naturally, decreasing the EV boost of the only even it had leading up to 1860). 

Up next: Kentucky

• 4 EVs on statehood 
  • 1800 +4 EV: Exhausted soil leads migration of Tobacco farmers from MD and VA to KY. 
  • 1810 +4 EV:  Rev War Land Grants to populate the South
  • 1820 +2 EV: Boom in canals and roads sees population boom along Ohio River
  • 1830 +1 EV: Virginians and Marylanders head westward
  • 1840 -3 EVs: Farmers from Kentucky Spread Westward
  • 1860 -1 EV:   Emergence of Steamboats and Rail See Population Boom in Great Plains

KY seems like everyone's pit stop. On another note, I've created an event for the 2nd Great Awakening. I was certain I had included it, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, it's important. 

Up next: Louisiana

• 4 EVs on statehood 
  • 1820 +2:  Growth of Cotton Plantations (+1); New Orleans becomes major Sugar and Cotton Port (+1)
  • 1840 +1:  Coastal South Loses Some Influence to Gulf States
  • 1860 +1:  Plantation States Losing Influence to states with modern, diverse industries. 

LA might be the only Southern state that gains EVs in that last even since New Orleans was really the only future Confederate city to contain real dynamic industries in a way that mirrored the Northeast. For this reason, many ex-Civil War generals moved to New Orleans after the war. 

• Like 2

Up next: Maryland

• 6 EVs on statehood 
  • 1790 +2: Boom in Iron Ore, Flour, and Wheat in MD
  • 1800 +3: Baltimore becomes a major shipping port
  • 1830 -1:  Virginians and Marylanders head westward
  • 1840 -2:  Coastal South Loses Some Influence to Gulf States
  • 1860 -1:  Emergence of Steamboats and Rail See Population Boom in Great Plains

Up next: Massachusetts

• 16 EVs on statehood 
  • 1800 +3: Massachusetts Becomes Center of US Manufacturing
  • 1810 +3: Boston and other Massachusetts Ports Lead Shipbuilding Boom
  • 1820 -7: Maine statehood
  • 1830 -1:  Manufacturing Spreads to Great Plains and Midwest
  • 1840 -2: New England Diaspora Spreads
  • 1850 +1: Surge of Irish Immigration Creates Mixed Blessing in Boston
  • 1860 -1:  The American Whaling Industry in Rapid Decline

*Note: This is the last one for today. I might be able to finish up the rest of the states, leading up to 1868 tomorrow. I never know how much free time and tranquility I get in advance.