The Political Lounge

FINAL 2022 MIDTERM VCCZAR PROJECTION

vcczar

50 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What was the bigger factor?

Imo, it was just candidate quality. A lot of primaries went to whomever Trump endorsed, and folks in the GOP just hoped larger factors would drag these folks over the finish line. This is most noticeable in Georgia where Kemp won outright fairly handily, but Walker, who Trump cleared the field for, looks headed to a runoff where he'll be the underdog. In Florida, RDS and Rubio both stomped to victory in a state that Trump carried by 3, in Ohio DeWine easily secured a second term, but Ryan was able to keep Vance in such a close race that it likely made the difference in downballot races like Chabot's seat and OH-13. Don Bacon holding on in a Biden seat while Boebert loses in a Trump+18 seat, etc. There's no way to know for certain, but it's fairly easy to imagine more mainstream candidates in some of these races could have made the difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I think GOP candidate quality was the main factor. But of the issues polled that we saw in the Exit Polls. There's one of them that was left out: Democracy. 

I think that's what really mattered. People saw Trump hitting the trail more and talking about absolute insanity... and they turned out. That's a Trump issue and a Democracy issue imo. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Imagine how Tim Ryan could have done with that funding Democrats wasted in Florida 🤷‍♂️ well looks like I might have to do something I never thought I’d have to… run for office. 

The thing with funding though is it forced the GOP to pump more funding into FL then say PA, AZ and other toss up races. I’m not sure more money would have helped Ryan. I just think the state is too Red now. Sherrod Brown won’t win re-election sadly. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

The thing with funding though is it forced the GOP to pump more funding into FL then say PA, AZ and other toss up races. I’m not sure more money would have helped Ryan. I just think the state is too Red now. Sherrod Brown won’t win re-election sadly. 

I disagree especially if the Republicans end up nominating Ron DeSantis he is not gonna have the same appeal in the Midwest that he enjoys in Florida

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

I disagree especially if the Republicans end up nominating Ron DeSantis he is not gonna have the same appeal in the Midwest that he enjoys in Florida

It was because Rubio was deemed vulnerable. DeSantis was never the target. 

17 minutes ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Imagine how Tim Ryan could have done with that funding Democrats wasted in Florida 🤷‍♂️ well looks like I might have to do something I never thought I’d have to… run for office. 

14 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

Dems might have been able to get Barnes over the line if they didn't waste all that Florida money too, looks like a narrow margin 

Imagine if they took that Florida money and split it between WI-Sen, NV-Sen, and competitive House seats

1 hour ago, ShortKing said:

This is most noticeable in Georgia where Kemp won outright fairly handily, but Walker, who Trump cleared the field for, looks headed to a runoff where he'll be the underdog.

Walker never mentioned Trump in his ads and Trump made no appearances in Georgia during the general election.  The Walker campaign felt Trump's presence would do more harm than good.  That's probably correct.  Brian Kemp, who Trump tried and failed to primary, won handily in a state Trump lost.

18 minutes ago, pilight said:

Walker never mentioned Trump in his ads and Trump made no appearances in Georgia during the general election.  The Walker campaign felt Trump's presence would do more harm than good.  That's probably correct.  Brian Kemp, who Trump tried and failed to primary, won handily in a state Trump lost.

This is true, and interesting given that Trump did rally for Oz in Pennsylvania at a time when Oz was trying to appear more moderate and campaign alongside Senator Collins and Rep. Fitzpatrick. With GA-Sen going to a runoff, one wonders how active Trump will be on the campaign trail, if at all.

31 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Maybe it has something to do with Warnock being a fake and heretical "pastor"

As someone who was baptized I declare that you, sir, are the real heretic

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Maybe it has something to do with Warnock being a fake and heretical "pastor"

How is someone a fake pastor, exactly? Warnock's served at multiple churches in a pastoral role. Even if you disagree with his religious views, Warnock has in fact been a recognized pastor.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

This is true, and interesting given that Trump did rally for Oz in Pennsylvania at a time when Oz was trying to appear more moderate and campaign alongside Senator Collins and Rep. Fitzpatrick. With GA-Sen going to a runoff, one wonders how active Trump will be on the campaign trail, if at all.

Especially with the fact people think he's going to announce for the presidency on Nov. 15. No doubt GA Republicans will be begging him to reconsider. But I don't think he'll actually care what they want, since it doesn't help him.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Especially with the fact people think he's going to announce for the presidency on Nov. 15. No doubt GA Republicans will be begging him to reconsider. But I don't think he'll actually care what they want, since it doesn't help him.

I think quite a few Republicans nationwide will be asking Trump to reconsider after last night, to be fair, though he'll blow them off all the same.

Edited by The Blood

2 minutes ago, The Blood said:

I think quite a few Republicans nationwide will be asking Trump to reconsider after last night, to be fair, though he'll blow them off all the same.

IMO Trump and his slate of handpicked candidates was one of the largest reasons Democrats have performed far better than expected this time around. Biden isn't anything special -- he's significantly under the water in popularity and many even in his own party, much less independents, don't feel strongly about him. 

But... put anyone with any amount of reason next to Trump or a Trump-backed lackey, and suddenly the Democrats have a chance despite a lack of a stellar candidates themselves (although, I believe Warnock and Kelley have been some of the greatest new faces in the Senate in recent years). 

Trump will be the reason Biden wins reelection. I think DeSantis, Scott, Haley, hell, even Baker or Cruz runs the score up on Biden.  But Trump won't, and he can't stop himself from running imo. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Cal said:

Trump will be the reason Biden wins reelection. I think DeSantis, Scott, Haley, hell, even Baker or Cruz runs the score up on Biden.  But Trump won't, and he can't stop himself from running imo. 

No way Cruz could beat Biden. That guy is more unlikable than Trump. I do think DeSantis, Tim Scott (not Rick Scott), and Nikki Haley could beat Biden in 2024, although hopefully not, obviously. I don't think Pence has a shot because zero charisma. Honestly, I don't see how the nominee isn't Trump or DeSantis. The latter is having his big moment, while the former needs to win the presidency to save himself from going to jail. 

1 minute ago, ShortKing said:

Saw a tweet that might interest some of the Polis supporters in here.

Very likely that Polis's performance played a not-insignificant role in unseating Lauren Boebert

I will force this man to run for President no matter how much he doesn't want to

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Saw a tweet that might interest some of the Polis supporters in here.

Very likely that Polis's performance played a not-insignificant role in unseating Lauren Boebert

Colorado really isn’t a purple state anymore. And hasn’t been for a few elections. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

I wonder did Mastriano doing so bad drag down Oz or was he so bad he made Oz look good by comparison 

Mastriano was complete invisible and unlikable. Saw one ad for him the entire election. Saw one a day for Oz. Saw like 20 every hour for Fetterman. Strangely, never saw a Shapiro add.