The Political Lounge

Era of Populism Might Be Ending

vcczar

As you know, the Era of Populism (2012-present) is the current AMPU era. However, this midterm might mean that this will be a short era, sort of like the Era of Normalcy (1916-1928). If Trump loses in the primaries to someone less conservative than DeSantis--say Rubio or more moderate--then I think that would signify an end, presuming a LW Pop Democrat doesn't strongly challenge Biden. 

I'll likely keep the Era going, even if the above result occurs, primarily because we won't have a name for this new era. A possible name is Era of Normalcy 2.0, but I want to avoid repeating a name. Era of Stability doesn't work because the Era isn't necessarily more stable. Era of Crisis is a possibility, but we don't know what all the crises are yet. Era of Identity, Era of Recovery, Era of ______, who knows. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vcczar said:

As you know, the Era of Populism (2012-present) is the current AMPU era. However, this midterm might mean that this will be a short era, sort of like the Era of Normalcy (1916-1928). If Trump loses in the primaries to someone less conservative than DeSantis--say Rubio or more moderate--then I think that would signify an end, presuming a LW Pop Democrat doesn't strongly challenge Biden. 

I'll likely keep the Era going, even if the above result occurs, primarily because we won't have a name for this new era. A possible name is Era of Normalcy 2.0, but I want to avoid repeating a name. Era of Stability doesn't work because the Era isn't necessarily more stable. Era of Crisis is a possibility, but we don't know what all the crises are yet. Era of Identity, Era of Recovery, Era of ______, who knows. 

When does the Era of the Near Future start?  I’d imagine it starts very soon after the game’s real life release date, so wouldn’t the new era you’re proposing here only be like a single two-year term?

35 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

When does the Era of the Near Future start?  I’d imagine it starts very soon after the game’s real life release date, so wouldn’t the new era you’re proposing here only be like a single two-year term?

I’d make it like 2024-2036 or something and then just push back near future. However, I don’t think a new era will be put in until 2024 occurs, if a new one is added at all. Depends how well Trump does. 

• Like 1

I think an era of bewilderment would best fit the name. The republican party most likely just got wiplash from the populist era of trump back to the era of "normalcy" while the democrats mostly remain the same. This can lead to limitless combonations of the wings that control the party (LW populist vs RW populist, LW Moderate vs RW Moderate, etc). This also fits into the definition of bewiderment (a feeling of being perplexed and confused) as people from both parties don't really know where to head next.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, Chuckstar said:

Given the intense polarization maybe the era of bad feelings? 

I thought that's what followed 1824? 😛

[I think I remember reading a text on the period which said something like "The Era of Good Feelings ended in very bad feelings..."]

Edited by Gray