The Political Lounge

NFL Football RP

vcczar

I'm considering doing an NFL Football RP, starting in the 1st Super Bowl Year - 1966 season. 

If I do this, it will be processed rather slowly. I'm very busy. 

Also to simplify it. There will be no salary cap or contracts. Players will stay as long as they start. If they don't start, there's a chance they'll leave the team. Players will retire when they historically retire. Trades will only happen in the offseason.

I guess for the most part, the game will be about drafting, setting the roster, offensive/defensive strategy for the game, trading, and some other things I'm not thinking about right now.

There will be no CPU teams. The # of teams will depend on the number of Forum players interested. 

Let me know if you're interested.

This will be fun! Pittsburgh Steelers of course.

Will you be using a sim engine? DDS Pro football would be perfect for this.

14 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

This will be fun! Pittsburgh Steelers of course.

Will you be using a sim engine? DDS Pro football would be perfect for this.

I'd use that if it's easy to edit. If not, I was just going to create my own system to calculate how a game was won and how the players did.

Just now, vcczar said:

I'd use that if it's easy to edit. If not, I was just going to create my own system to calculate how a game was won and how the players did.

It should be I know you can disable contracts and salary cap

I'd like to pick the New York Giants. With a 1-12 record, it isn't like I could do any worse, right 😛?

Edited by WVProgressive

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've added DDS Pro Football to my wish list. I'll aim to use it, but I need to either wait for it to go on sale or see my monetary situation improve. 

I am a little worried by the mixed reviews. What has your experience been like? @themiddlepolitical

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion, I'll play it some more sometime this week and give you an update. I know at the very beginning there where some bugs.

8 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion, I'll play it some more sometime this week and give you an update. I know at the very beginning there where some bugs.

Yeah, let me know. Because $29.99 is a lot if it is buggy and has other issues that make using it frustrating.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, vcczar said:

Yeah, let me know. Because $29.99 is a lot if it is buggy and has other issues that make using it frustrating.

Also look into Football GM. Very customizable and you can edit a lot of stuff.  Also free. One of my favorite games (though I prefer the basketball one).

https://play.football-gm.com/ 

19 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Not sure... I always play with the fictional rosters. Try looking here: www.reddit.com/r/Football_GM

Seems like there isn't the kind I'm looking for. Maybe I'll make a fictional league.

I once deleted all the NFL players and teams in Madden 2000 or 2001 (I did this in the year 2001---20 years ago!). I replaced them with historical teams: team of presidents, team of philosophers, team of artists, team of military leaders, team of serial killers, team of comedians, team of Greek myths, team of evil people from history, team of biblical people, etc.  There were also completely fictional teams with players I made up. 

These were the best players at each position as I remember: 

QB - Robert E Lee (Military team called Great Captains). He won 4 straight SBs and led his team to 4 straight undefeated seasons. He then lost three SBs in a row. In fact, all 7 SB appearances were against the Bible Belt, the Biblical team. SB 4 was his first defeat. He threw a pick 6 to Judas in the last second when it seemed like he'd get a last minute TD. My roommate, who was playing as the Bible Belt, jumped from his seat and started running in circles in celebration because the Great Captains were finally defeated. Lee became a free agent and was kind of an above average to good QB on other teams after year 7. The league lasted 12 seasons, by the way.

RB - Theodore Roosevelt (president team). I think he led the league in Rushing yards and rushing TDs the first 4 seasons. First RB to 10,000 yards. Had maybe three 2,000 yard seasons. After season 4, he would get about 1,200 yards a season. Towards the final seasons, he was not very good but was used just because of his legacy. It was a struggle to get him 1,000 yards. Retired with over 20,000 yard rushing and like 200 TDs.

FB - James Madison (president team). This is primary because he blocked for Roosevelt. The best talent was a guy named Doc Hollywood. He put up regular RB numbers. Best single day performance by a FB was Ayatollah Khomeini who had two 50+ yard TD runs in a row. I don't think he was ever that great otherwise. 

WR - Friedrich Fahrenheidt. Won MVP like 10 times. Often had more yards and TDs than the top QB on his team, because of QB injuries. Averaged over 2,000 yards receiving a season, about 100 receptions, and about 30 TDs. Had over 300 TDs after season 12. Despite this, was always on mediocre teams until later in his career when he was much slower. Lost maybe 3 SBs. I don't think he ever won one. 

TE - Abraham. Biblical team. He was Job's primary receiving target. Sort of like Jason Witten. Not many great TEs in this league.

OL - Saddam Hussein. His team was never good, but he routinely led in pancakes and least sacks allowed.

DL - Da Killer. 7'0" 415 lbs and one of the fastest players in the league. He would rush the QB, tackle him, and if the QB got the ball off, he'd still chase down the WR. He was about as fast as a thrown football. Constantly injured people. He was on the KFC Chickens. He had about 400 sacks in 12 years. I think he had 32 one year. He also would get about 5 interceptions. He had a few offensive TDs also in goal line situations

LB - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. He was also on the KFC Chickens. I think he averaged about 150 tackles a season and 5 interceptions and 7 sacks. 

DB - Jesus Christ. Biblical Team. Average 10 to 14 ints a season (high of 20). He'd return half of these for TDs. He was also 7'0" for some reason. The entire Bible Belt secondary was called The Immaculate Secondary and stayed together for 7 years, went their separate ways, and all went to a new team to play together around year 10. They intercepted for the cycle (all 4 DBs getting an INT) about 20 times or something. Judas would average about 7+ ints. Peter would average about 5+ ints. Goliath would average about 4+ ints. They were the primary reason they went to 7 SBs, aside from. 

K - God. Biblical Team. Could hit 81 yard FGs with perfect accuracy. His team always got at least 3 pts. 

P - Worst punter was Gandhi. 10 yard punts because of malnutrition. We had a rule that you had to punt on 4th down, except on special occasions. You also couldn't release or replace players, except in the off season. Every FA had to have a team. Best punter. Hmm. Might have been this guy called Penguin Evans. He may have been the best at hitting punts in ways that forced the other team to fight from the goal line. 

KR/PR - Jesus Christ again. He seemed to get a TD 25% of the time on returns. 

Worst players ever, aside from Gandhi the punter, was Big Oaf the QB (had a season with 1 TD and 46 ints), Stephen Hawking the RB (averaged like 1.2 yards a run). 

Most overrated player was a QB named Ace Harding. He was 99 in everything but was very injury prone. He played like 8 to 10 games a season, but even then he was probably only a top 3 QB, despite his abilities, once. He got to the SB during his one great year, in which he had WR Fahrenheidt (see above). This team was called The Greatest Team Ever assembled. They had the Immaculate Secondary (see above). God at kicker. Da Killer at DT (see above). Their RB was Olaf McBee, who averaged almost 10 yards a run, but had 0 stamina and got injured a lot.  They played a 7-9 team that barely made the playoffs in the Super Bowl and lost to them. It wasn't even an exciting game. They just totally underperformed. God missed like two FGs, which never happens. Harding had a lot more incompletes than usual. Fahrenheidt couldn't get open. I think the score was like 10-7. The MVP was Genghis Kahn, the DE of the other team, that picked up a fumble (I think from Harding), and ran it back for a TD. Then at the end of the game, their kicked, Hi-Lee Hi-Lo, kicked the GW FG, defeating the greatest team that ever assembled, most of whom went to free agency.  

I stopped after Season 12 because my roommate moved and he visited too infrequently to keep it going. Lots of fun times though. Took me like 3 months to make the whole league. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Seems like there isn't the kind I'm looking for. Maybe I'll make a fictional league.

I once deleted all the NFL players and teams in Madden 2000 or 2001 (I did this in the year 2001---20 years ago!). I replaced them with historical teams: team of presidents, team of philosophers, team of artists, team of military leaders, team of serial killers, team of comedians, team of Greek myths, team of evil people from history, team of biblical people, etc.  There were also completely fictional teams with players I made up. 

These were the best players at each position as I remember: 

QB - Robert E Lee (Military team called Great Captains). He won 4 straight SBs and led his team to 4 straight undefeated seasons. He then lost three SBs in a row. In fact, all 7 SB appearances were against the Bible Belt, the Biblical team. SB 4 was his first defeat. He threw a pick 6 to Judas in the last second when it seemed like he'd get a last minute TD. My roommate, who was playing as the Bible Belt, jumped from his seat and started running in circles in celebration because the Great Captains were finally defeated. Lee became a free agent and was kind of an above average to good QB on other teams after year 7. The league lasted 12 seasons, by the way.

RB - Theodore Roosevelt (president team). I think he led the league in Rushing yards and rushing TDs the first 4 seasons. First RB to 10,000 yards. Had maybe three 2,000 yard seasons. After season 4, he would get about 1,200 yards a season. Towards the final seasons, he was not very good but was used just because of his legacy. It was a struggle to get him 1,000 yards. Retired with over 20,000 yard rushing and like 200 TDs.

FB - James Madison (president team). This is primary because he blocked for Roosevelt. The best talent was a guy named Doc Hollywood. He put up regular RB numbers. Best single day performance by a FB was Ayatollah Khomeini who had two 50+ yard TD runs in a row. I don't think he was ever that great otherwise. 

WR - Friedrich Fahrenheidt. Won MVP like 10 times. Often had more yards and TDs than the top QB on his team, because of QB injuries. Averaged over 2,000 yards receiving a season, about 100 receptions, and about 30 TDs. Had over 300 TDs after season 12. Despite this, was always on mediocre teams until later in his career when he was much slower. Lost maybe 3 SBs. I don't think he ever won one. 

TE - Abraham. Biblical team. He was Job's primary receiving target. Sort of like Jason Witten. Not many great TEs in this league.

OL - Saddam Hussein. His team was never good, but he routinely led in pancakes and least sacks allowed.

DL - Da Killer. 7'0" 415 lbs and one of the fastest players in the league. He would rush the QB, tackle him, and if the QB got the ball off, he'd still chase down the WR. He was about as fast as a thrown football. Constantly injured people. He was on the KFC Chickens. He had about 400 sacks in 12 years. I think he had 32 one year. He also would get about 5 interceptions. He had a few offensive TDs also in goal line situations

LB - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. He was also on the KFC Chickens. I think he averaged about 150 tackles a season and 5 interceptions and 7 sacks. 

DB - Jesus Christ. Biblical Team. Average 10 to 14 ints a season (high of 20). He'd return half of these for TDs. He was also 7'0" for some reason. The entire Bible Belt secondary was called The Immaculate Secondary and stayed together for 7 years, went their separate ways, and all went to a new team to play together around year 10. They intercepted for the cycle (all 4 DBs getting an INT) about 20 times or something. Judas would average about 7+ ints. Peter would average about 5+ ints. Goliath would average about 4+ ints. They were the primary reason they went to 7 SBs, aside from. 

K - God. Biblical Team. Could hit 81 yard FGs with perfect accuracy. His team always got at least 3 pts. 

P - Worst punter was Gandhi. 10 yard punts because of malnutrition. We had a rule that you had to punt on 4th down, except on special occasions. You also couldn't release or replace players, except in the off season. Every FA had to have a team. Best punter. Hmm. Might have been this guy called Penguin Evans. He may have been the best at hitting punts in ways that forced the other team to fight from the goal line. 

KR/PR - Jesus Christ again. He seemed to get a TD 25% of the time on returns. 

Worst players ever, aside from Gandhi the punter, was Big Oaf the QB (had a season with 1 TD and 46 ints), Stephen Hawking the RB (averaged like 1.2 yards a run). 

Most overrated player was a QB named Ace Harding. He was 99 in everything but was very injury prone. He played like 8 to 10 games a season, but even then he was probably only a top 3 QB, despite his abilities, once. He got to the SB during his one great year, in which he had WR Fahrenheidt (see above). This team was called The Greatest Team Ever assembled. They had the Immaculate Secondary (see above). God at kicker. Da Killer at DT (see above). Their RB was Olaf McBee, who averaged almost 10 yards a run, but had 0 stamina and got injured a lot.  They played a 7-9 team that barely made the playoffs in the Super Bowl and lost to them. It wasn't even an exciting game. They just totally underperformed. God missed like two FGs, which never happens. Harding had a lot more incompletes than usual. Fahrenheidt couldn't get open. I think the score was like 10-7. The MVP was Genghis Kahn, the DE of the other team, that picked up a fumble (I think from Harding), and ran it back for a TD. Then at the end of the game, their kicked, Hi-Lee Hi-Lo, kicked the GW FG, defeating the greatest team that ever assembled, most of whom went to free agency.  

I stopped after Season 12 because my roommate moved and he visited too infrequently to keep it going. Lots of fun times though. Took me like 3 months to make the whole league. 

Lmaoo. I assume Jesus and God were 99 overalls? Also Stephen Hawking as a Runningback is hilarious. 

After doing some looking around it does seem like DDS pro football is the best bet..tho rosters only go to 2018 drafts.

Front office football woulda been the best if they had 60s-70s rosters

and @DakotaHaleThat website looks amazing!

@DakotaHale

I played around and looked around the website and subscribed...It's wild.

It somehow has more features that full fledged football sims I have played-and I don't know how? Like the god mode and fun mode features are amazing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

After doing some looking around it does seem like DDS pro football is the best bet..tho rosters only go to 2018 drafts.

Front office football woulda been the best if they had 60s-70s rosters

and @DakotaHaleThat website looks amazing!

45 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

@DakotaHale

I played around and looked around the website and subscribed...It's wild.

It somehow has more features that full fledged football sims I have played-and I don't know how? Like the god mode and fun mode features are amazing.

I'm caught between DDS Pro Football and the simulator @DakotaHale showed me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm caught between DDS Pro Football and the simulator @DakotaHale showed me.

Well..I think the tie breaker would be free vs $30..I haven't had so much fun with a game in a while ( @DakotaHale suggestion) , The amount of statistical detail is insane, I honestly don't know how it's free. Paid the $5 for no ads but that's it. There is a mod on the site I am using that starts you at 2002 and brings you to modern day (with all draft classes including the most recent) you def might be able to find historical rosters,it has a huge fan base.

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Well..I think the tie breaker would be free vs $30..I haven't had so much fun with a game in a while ( @DakotaHale suggestion) , The amount of statistical detail is insane, I honestly don't know how it's free. Paid the $5 for no ads but that's it. There is a mod on the site I am using that starts you at 2002 and brings you to modern day (with all draft classes including the most recent) you def might be able to find historical rosters,it has a huge fan base.

Haha, yeah it’s one of my favorite games of all time. The developer updates it all the time and is super active on the Reddit community. Unfortunately the basketball one gets a lot more attention so it has more fleshed out rosters and stuff, but they’re both fantastic games. As of last month I think he started working on the games full time (they were previously just a side hobby) so I’m excited. Definitely a good game for sports fans and stats nerds. I think he’s developing a hockey version which will be sweet.